Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #311: Star Wars Ep. 1 Live Commentary

Gamertag
    Smeghead
    Twitter
    GWCChuck

Default #311: Star Wars Ep. 1 Live Commentary

In honor of this week’s re-release of Star Wars Episode 1 in 3D, we fire up our cheap-ass 2D DVD of the movie and take you along for the ride. If you like, you can grab your own copy, sync it up, and follow along with us as we enjoy the effects, lament the childish J**J** moments, and get a big kick out of the droids. But it’s not necessary. Feel free to enjoy this podcast as you wish. Next week we’re following up with an Episode 4 commentary, comparing and contrasting the “firsts” of two different generations.

Direct Download
    Blog Post
    Evil POS is not the same thing as a d-bag. A d-bag is someone that parks in a handicap parking space that is not handicapped. A d-bag is very similar to a jerk. Darth Vader was not a d-bag. -- Steve

Near the Hellmouth. Member: Friends of Larry Local 138. Aka "Ferris."
    Twitter
    dxferris

Jon Stewart to George Lucas on The Daily Show:

"My son's favorite Star Wars movie is Episode I. And I keep explaining to him: No it's not."

This week's Entertainment Weekly has a feature about the actor who played JarJar. Interesting stuff.
    "What went wrong with the Wonder Woman pilot? Well, for starters, in a word: pants."

Twitter
    GryperGWC

Keira Knightley was the double for Natalie Portman.

ETA: should have listened to the whole cast before posting this.

[/LEFT]

Gamertag
    GopherGooGuru
    Twitter
    ShooterGWC

Default Look Alikes.

Earlier this week I tweeted that Elizabeth Banks and Rachel McAdams should play twin sisters on some movie (a fact that DefaultProphet disagreed with). However I have no idea that Keira Knightley played Natalie Portman's double in Phantom Menace until Sean mentioned it. Sweet! I wouldn't want to sword play with either of them! =)

Great podcast guys! I lament that there was no news segment but appreciate that this cast will stand up forever on its own since it was solely dedicated to the GWC Crew commentary of Phantom Menace. I'm looking forward to next week's cast.

~Shooter Out
    Mal “The wheel never stops turning, Badger.”
    Badger “That only matters to the people on the rim.”

Firefly, “Serenity” 2002

----

DefaultProphet: "Tron is a Superhero" Twitter March 2, 2011 http://twitter.com/#!/DefaultProphet...12010703048704

----

Alpaca

Just a little info on Ian McDiarmid / Palpatine.

Palpatine didn't appear in Episode 4: A New Hope.

His first appearance was in Ep 5/Empire. In the brief scene where he speaks to Vader via holo, he's played by Elaine Baker and voiced by Clive Revill. This is the footage that was later changed.

In Ep 6/Jedi, he was played by Ian McDiarmid, who was only in his late 30's. When they made the prequel trilogy, Ian was able to reprise the role for all three films. I think it's kind of neat that young Ian played the old Palpatine, whereas old Ian played the young Palpatine.

So, aside from the brief holo in Empire, Ian has played him in all the films. And now all the updated versions have him in Empire, too.

Gamertag
    GopherGooGuru
    Twitter
    ShooterGWC

Apparently Jake Lloyd, the kid who played Little Anakin Skywalker in Phantom Menace, had a very short acting career. According to IMDB he only worked from 1996-2001 and his most notable non Star Wars role was in Jingle All The Way 3 years prior to the release of Phantom Menace. I dug up an article stating he graduated from Columbia College Chicago. Does anyone have any more recent information on him?

My opinion is that he seems to have suffered from the same issue that Wil Wheaton experienced post The Next Generation. Although I think it would be hillarious for him to make an appearance on Big Bang Theory either with or without Wil Wheaton.

~Shooter Out
    Mal “The wheel never stops turning, Badger.”
    Badger “That only matters to the people on the rim.”

Firefly, “Serenity” 2002

----

DefaultProphet: "Tron is a Superhero" Twitter March 2, 2011 http://twitter.com/#!/DefaultProphet...12010703048704

----

Rewatching Episode I at the theater with my kids really made me want to do a write up of "Why I enjoy The Phantom Menace" to counter all the Prequel hate I see in general society...

If I get so motivated...I'll post it here

Also the young Rodian who was Anakin's friend wasn't Greedo, his name was Wald. They did film a scene where Anakin is rolling on the ground fighting with a young Greedo but it was cut. Wald was played by Warrick Davis, that's why they gave him an unmasked cameo in the crowd scene.

Gamertag
    MightyPoohbah
    Twitter
    SolaiGWC

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Earlier this week I tweeted that Elizabeth Banks and Rachel McAdams should play twin sisters on some movie (a fact that DefaultProphet disagreed with). However I have no idea that Keira Knightley played Natalie Portman's double in Phantom Menace until Sean mentioned it. Sweet! I wouldn't want to sword play with either of them! =)
    I would

Quote Originally Posted by Solai View Post
    I would
    First you grip the handle of the lightsaber, then turn it on, and then the blade extends.

What?......I'm just reviewing how to use a lightsaber? What did you THINK I meant.....perv

Sir Patrick Stewart “You know, I’ve sat in a movie director’s office and he’s said to me ‘you’re a terrific actor, I really admire you. You’d be great for this role, but why would I want Jean Luc Picard in my movie?”

Chris Hardwick “What?! Someone said that to your face? You’re a Knight now. You should run him through with a broadsword.”

-- form the Nerdist podcast, number 121 at 32:15

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast