Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Earth 150,000 years ago...

  1. #1
    Alpaca Prime Gryper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Twitter
    GryperGWC
    Posts
    5,538

    Default Earth 150,000 years ago...

    ...where were the glaciers? And the mammoths, cave bears, giant sloths and sabertooths? The large hooved animals that existed then? They showed homo sapiens, but not Neanderthals which also lived here at that time. There was a lot of life on this planet and conditions in the environment that would bring huge challenges to the people of Galactica, especially when they were giving up their technology. Guess they didn't have any budget left over to show more than modern mammals on the plains.

    [/LEFT]

  2. #2
    Alpaca
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Battle-scarred Britannia
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryper View Post
    ...where were the glaciers? And the mammoths, cave bears, giant sloths and sabertooths? The large hooved animals that existed then? They showed homo sapiens, but not Neanderthals which also lived here at that time. There was a lot of life on this planet and conditions in the environment that would bring huge challenges to the people of Galactica, especially when they were giving up their technology. Guess they didn't have any budget left over to show more than modern mammals on the plains.
    Were you there?, doubt it, so how would you know what it was like?


    Scientists are not always right, besides, since they showed where they landed, why would they show where they didn't
    Don't go Cylon on me, cos they're about as easy as a nuclear war.

  3. #3
    Alpaca Strikitrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Coast of the East Coast
    Posts
    336

    Default East Africa

    Don't think there were glaciers in Equatorial Africa, but there is only so much you can do to make B.C. look like Tanzania.

    Good question about the conditions, though.
    The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Alpaca Prime FireBreathingChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North of Boston
    Twitter
    FireBreathnChkn
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    Because they blew the budget on the Colony...

    Also, were those things in whatever part of Africa they landed in?
    Last edited by FireBreathingChicken; March 21st, 2009 at 10:23 AM.

  5. #5
    Alpaca rodbv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Namur, Belgium
    Twitter
    rodbv
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryper View Post
    ...where were the glaciers? And the mammoths, cave bears, giant sloths and sabertooths? The large hooved animals that existed then? They showed homo sapiens, but not Neanderthals which also lived here at that time. There was a lot of life on this planet and conditions in the environment that would bring huge challenges to the people of Galactica, especially when they were giving up their technology. Guess they didn't have any budget left over to show more than modern mammals on the plains.
    Relax, this is still television, not a Scientific American documentary
    This is not Star Trek, folks.

  6. #6
    Alpaca samanthawadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lakewood Ohio
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rodbv View Post
    Relax, this is still television, not a Scientific American documentary
    Actually at around 150,000 years ago the Ice age hadn't yet took hold. It would be at 100,000 years that the Ice age would hit. Thus wiping out any evedence they where there.
    "There's hope for you yet." Ellen

  7. #7
    Alpaca Prime CylonMATRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Twitter
    CYLONmatrix
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Maybe they landed far north instead ... and ended up being known as the Nivelungs from the Teutonic Ring tradition..


    Just so we're on the same page

  8. #8
    Alpaca iGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAndersonHenry View Post
    Were you there?, doubt it, so how would you know what it was like?


    Scientists are not always right, besides, since they showed where they landed, why would they show where they didn't

    Im with you on that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by samanthawadams View Post
    Actually at around 150,000 years ago the Ice age hadn't yet took hold. It would be at 100,000 years that the Ice age would hit. Thus wiping out any evedence they where there.

    Again, this is pure theory and may not have even been close to how it really happened.
    Last edited by iGhost; March 21st, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    i've broke my back, I'll never jump again

  9. #9
    Alpaca bigdamnhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Phaeton, Corridor 6-1, in the Western Spiral Arm, orbiting a blue-green planet called Erf.
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryper View Post
    Guess they didn't have any budget left over to show more than modern mammals on the plains.
    If it was a choice between Epic Space Battle vs. CGI Sloth, Admiral Ron made the correct decision, as far as I'm concerned.
    This Very Special Post is brought to you in part by:
    Felgercarb Toothpaste: New Cool-Mint Algae!
    Cottle Pharmaceuticals: It's Medicinal (TM)
    Massive Dynamic: Give Your Kids A Head-Start With Cortexiphan

    To Galactica: the best ship in the Fleet.

  10. #10
    Alpaca tobasco72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maumelle,AR
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Sabertooths, mammoths, giant ground sloths were native to North America. At one time before the clovis people and the end og the last great ice age we had more megafauna (big animals) than africa. Just a moment of science.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •