PDA

View Full Version : I just got what appears to be a West Indies job offer teaching. Now what?

The Alpaca Herder
February 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Alrighty. I got a legitimate e-mail from a legitimate school about teaching in West Indies. The e-mail is asking about availability and I forgot what I specifically applied for discipline-wise. The location is a nation that the United States invaded in the early 1980's.

So, what might this mean about being able to watch BSG? I doubt that Skiffy is available there.

frakkintalos
February 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
That's what bittorrent is for!!

*door busts open*

Hey!! Put me down. What the...? You frakkin nazi, your mother...

*muffled sound*

<<SILENCE>>

darthweef
February 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
first off congrats on what sounds like a very exciting opportunity ...

On the BSG front, it's good to see your priorities are where they belong... ;)

Last I heard, NBC is now pretending like they never had a problem with apple (thanks to Apple TV and the deals Job got signed surrounding that) and that they will likely be resigning with them.

So... the probability is high that season 4 will be available via iTunes...

Solai
February 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Alrighty. I got a legitimate e-mail from a legitimate school about teaching in West Indies. The e-mail is asking about availability and I forgot what I specifically applied for discipline-wise. The location is a nation that the United States invaded in the early 1980's.

So, what might this mean about being able to watch BSG? I doubt that Skiffy is available there.

The key question is: Does the offer include Alpaca herd relocation?

GalaxyRanger
February 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
So... the probability is high that season 4 will be available via iTunes...

Which would be totally fine with me, too, the only problem is: outside of the US/North America, you CAN'T access BSG on iTunes!

The reason? Why, it's very simple. I'll give you Germany as an example. The channel that BSG airs on here is only now broadcasting Season Two and it's gonna be a while before they broadcast Season Three (!), and of course it's dubbed in German and of course they are NOT interested in people downloading the original English version of BSG before they have even broadcast their dubbed version, because they want people to watch the show on their channel (and of course, watch their commercials, too).

I can't even access some of the promo videos on SciFi.com - it'll say "This video is not available outside the United States"

The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. It's always taken a couple of years for US shows to make the transition to continental Europe, but even the Season Three DVDs will be out sooner than that - of course they'll lack a German dubbing and will be Region Code 1, but most people's English is good enough to watch a TV show (scifi geeks being smart people) and there's ways to work aroung the Region Code, too (scifi geeks being smart people).
And then, of course, there's Bittorrent. Which is the ONLY way for me to get the episodes when they come out. I would pay for them! I really would. I'd pay Apple and NBC and who the hell else their two or three bucks per episode BUT THEY WON'T LET ME! "Not available outside the United States" - so it's either Bittorrent for me or waiting a year or two for the DVDs.

dxf
February 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I don't know anything about hacking, but I seem to recall reading that you can download/buy all kinds of nifty stuff from iTunes if you change the country you're registered in. That was a year or two back, and maybe they've made some security alterations, but it's worth looking into.

GalaxyRanger
February 5th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything about hacking, but I seem to recall reading that you can download/buy all kinds of nifty stuff from iTunes if you change the country you're registered in. That was a year or two back, and maybe they've made some security alterations, but it's worth looking into.

Well, thanks for the tip, but when I try to change the country to USA, they demand that I have a US-based credit card as well. So that didn't work for me. I've also tried a proxy server, but either I didn't do it right or it just didn't work.

Topgun
February 6th, 2008, 12:56 AM

If you end up in the West Indies, my dear TAH, I promise you that I will mail you any Galactica related dvd's as soon as they're available in the states. West Indies ?? Do they have Starbuck's Coffee ? Webkinz ? Electricity ?

gafra
February 6th, 2008, 06:54 AM
If you end up in the West Indies, my dear TAH, I promise you that I will mail you any Galactica related dvd's as soon as they're available in the states. West Indies ?? Do they have Starbuck's Coffee ? Webkinz ? Electricity ?

They may not have BSG but as has already been stated that's what torrents are for.

They DO have cricket though! The hallmark of any civilised nation...

gaf

Splatterson
February 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM
They DO have cricket though! The hallmark of any civilised nation...

Cricket? Those are those little bugs that make scratchy noises, right? :D

Armando
February 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM

I hate it when that happens. You apply for a teaching gig, one of possibly hundreds in a year, and then you make it to a second round and you don't remember what the school is or where it is or anything. To make it to the job offer round without knowing, well, that's just sublime, really.

Did they not even offer to fly you out for an interview? (I've heard that a lot of schools are doing the video conference interview thing now.)

Let me just say: congratulations. I am jealous that you will at least know what your employment situation will be like in the fall. I still find myself in limbo. I have no idea what television is like down in our former invasion site (is this the same country where we had to protect those three medical students of ours back in the Reagan days?), but if it's anything like it is in my native Puerto Rico, you should do okay. Cable made it down there in the early 80s.

Good luck with the move though (if you need help, drop me a private message. My wife is something of an expert on moving companies and how to avoid getting scammed).

gafra
February 6th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Cricket? Those are those little bugs that make scratchy noises, right? :D

*Sniffs down nose at former Colonials*

Peasant... :p

"Jeeves... my morning Gin and Tonic please..."

Pike
February 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Former Colonies, thank you. Very different from former Colonials (http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/10/15/england.dentists/index.html).

Splatterson
February 7th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Former Colonies, thank you.

Thanks Pike! You beat me to it!

Gafra - don't you folks drink tea in the mornings? ;)

The Alpaca Herder
February 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Well, now this has just gotten a little bit more interesting. Armando got it that one note was from Grenada. Now there is one competing one from the Bahamas. Neither has explicitly said "sign by the X" yet. One asked me how soon I would be available to start. The other just said the proposal is being kicked all over the academic chain of command.

Eleven of these proposals went out. I have heard back on two. I find it funny that I heard back from the Caribbean sites before anything on the US mainland.

For now the status quo remains intact. I have one more interview tonight and then the podcast I have been writing goes out. Between writing, lining up interviews, dealing with getting ad copy put together this week has been kinda crazy. I was out in Summerlin as a roadie for a Guitar Society of Las Vegas event last night too. Eventually I will finish GWC #84 before #85 comes out.

The herd I had worked on is being split up and sold off, too. There has been a tiered stand-down at the ranch. By June the ranch will cease to exist and the only animals I have to deal with are most normally humans.

Armando
February 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
You know, buried as I am in snow at the moment, I can't help but NOT feel sorry for you, AH, with job offers from the Caribbean. Boo-frakkin'-hoo! ;-)

Seriously, though, what is it with these two schools getting back to you before the mainland ones? I've been going through something similar, only that I haven't applied for anything overseas because the wife doesn't want to face the possibility of moving abroad (plus I don't really want to do that to my kids anyway). In any case, I heard from two schools a few weeks ago but nothing since, then one more last Friday and I've also been hearing rumors of the possibility of my sticking around my current employer (shhh, don't jinx it!), with whom I have a visiting contract only. Meanwhile, the one job I REALLY want, where I'm friends with the department chair who, it's gotten to me through the grapevine, was "very glad" that I'd applied, is taking forever to even get to the FIRST round.

I swear, academia really sucks sometimes. (Then I remember that we essentially get the summers off...)