PDA

View Full Version : Mac people, help a brother out, please? Problem after upgrade from 10.4.1 to 4.1.1

dxf
February 7th, 2008, 12:31 PM
So I upgraded from 10.4.1 to 10.4.11. And now my machine is constantly making the loud overdrive kinda hum that it normally only did when I was running the Classic OS-X environment.

Anyone know anything about this irritating phenomenon, or how to make it stop?

ps. it's a powerpc G5. 612 DDR SDRAM

Pike
February 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Anyone know anything about this irritating phenomenon, or how to make it stop?

Have you tried running activity monitor when this was happening?

dxf
February 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yessir. It's that Safari problem that a couple mentioned on my initial query about upgrading from 10.4.1 to 10.4.11 -- Safari's hogging like 72% of the CPU. And I usually use it by keeping four windows open and leaving it on for a long time.

Anyone have a troubleshoot for this, besides switiching to Firefox? Go back to an earlier version?

Thanx again

The Alpaca Herder
February 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Don't leave Safari open and every few hours completely close Safari then re-open it. That's the only workaround I found.

Switching away from Safari may be necessary, alas.

frakkintalos
February 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Could be an old version of a startup item or an out-dated plug-in.

Check /Library/StartupItems

Make sure you have latest versions, if there is anything even in there.

In Safari, go to HELP then Installed Plugins

Check for updated versions of

Shockwave Flash
Flip4Mac Windows Media Web Plugin

As a start, just go to Adobe's website and update Flash.

dxf
February 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM
... much appreciated. Looks like I'm just gonna go with the Firefox for now. Pretty painless conversion (so far).

Now that I've installed Firefox, do I have to keep these images on my desktop? The .dmg icon and the one that looks like a disc drive?

Pike
February 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
... much appreciated. Looks like I'm just gonna go with the Firefox for now. Pretty painless conversion (so far).

Now that I've installed Firefox, do I have to keep these images on my desktop? The .dmg icon and the one that looks like a disc drive?

No. Eject the virtual disc, and you can toss the disk image (.dmg)

The Alpaca Herder
February 8th, 2008, 01:37 AM

No. Eject the virtual disc, and you can toss the disk image (.dmg)

Drag both items simultaneously to the trash can. That solves the problem in short order.

wisebob134
February 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Drag both items simultaneously to the trash can. That solves the problem in short order.
Still not as short as my rock vs computer method