PDA

View Full Version : Non-scifi shows that scifi fans might like

Emilyfromohio
February 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think it would be kind of fun to devote a thread o shows that scifi fans might like, but there not really scifi

For me, I think they are....

Dexter
House
Life
The Office

And of coruse ghosthunters...lol kidding. I'm sorry, I just can not stand this show. It's nothing perosnal, its just the fact that its reality tv aired on the frakin scifi channel. Should reality tv really be on the scifi channel? Really?

GalaxyRanger
February 14th, 2008, 11:23 AM
wow, that's a tricky question.

I could tell you what I like and/or liked back in the day (meaning the mid-to-late 90s)...

I'll try to group them:

1. At least somewhat sci-fi-ish: X-Files, ALF, Buffy, Knight Rider, Time Trax, Quantum Leap (maybe that's real (soft?) sci-fi, but I'd say it's drama first...)

2. Not at all scifi: J.A.G., Boston Legal, Beverly Hills 90210 (the early seasons, I loved the show, I was a teenager then), CSI, Home Improvement, The A-Team (AWESOME!), Miami Vice, King of Queens, The IT Crowd (best British television I've ever seen, beats Mr. Bean and Monthy Python!), The Bill Cosby Show.

Solai
February 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hmm...I would throw out there:

Mythbusters
The Daily Show
Dirty Jobs

Why? It has been my experience that Scifi types in general are a little smarter than the average bear. They are inquisitive, they want to know how stuff works. They want to understand the big picture and can be a touch rebellious. Those three shows for me relate to those thoughts.

GalaxyRanger
February 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hmm...I would throw out there:

Mythbusters
The Daily Show
Dirty Jobs

Why? It has been my experience that Scifi types in general are a little smarter than the average bear. They are inquisitive, they want to know how stuff works. They want to understand the big picture and can be a touch rebellious. Those three shows for me relate to those thoughts.

I completely agree with your analysis.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard about any of the shows you mentioned, are these like new shows? (I always takes them a couple of years to get across the Atlantic :))

Magnus
February 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't heard about any of the shows you mentioned, are these like new shows? (I always takes them a couple of years to get across the Atlantic :))
Mythbusters is an amazing show, it's been running for 5 years now. If there's a German varient of Discovery Chanel it might show the episodes. I know the UK one does, although it has a different narrator that the US original episodes.

Listerfiend
February 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Chuck (the show, not GWC chuck)

Reaper (which i guess you could say is kinda sci-fi/fantasy-ish)

although who know the fate of these after the strike has delayed them in their pilot seasons.

Listerfiend
February 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM

the daily show is at least a decade old i think. it's always been billed as a "fake" news show, and it's where stephen colbert got his start (if you've heard of him). it's actually one of the smarter satires on american politics out there, and is one of my main sources for political news on TV (which says all kinds of things about the state of US "news" channels).

here's the show's site, where you can find clips from just about every episode in its history: http://www.thedailyshow.com/

frakkintalos
February 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Mythbusters on the mark!!

I always dug Nature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(TV_series)) and NOVA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOVA_%28TV_series%29).

There is 30 Rock, also. I love Tina Fey.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj125/frakkintalos/tina.jpg

Grrrr

Yorick
February 14th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I love everything sci-fi-y but I have to say that my favorite show ever remains Six Feet Under (http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/), I've never been moved more by a show than this one. And I guess other scifi fans (and actually whoever has a brain and a heart) would definitely enjoy it.

bUcj4Lv71yo

Magnus
February 14th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Chuck (the show, not GWC chuck)

Reaper (which i guess you could say is kinda sci-fi/fantasy-ish)

although who know the fate of these after the strike has delayed them in their pilot seasons.
I thought I heard that Chuck was doing quite well in the ratings, so hopefully it will be back next September. Plus Adam Baldwin is in it, it's worth watching just for him.

As for shows I recomend Pushing Daisies, quite surreal and quirky but very enjoyable, "The Facts Were These..." I hope we get new episodes.
Bones is also quite a good show, standard forensic proceedule type but with some great humour. I suppose their 'Laser Display Screen' (I wonder if anyone gets that reference) is borderline sci-fi.

Lucky
February 14th, 2008, 04:00 PM
The only non scifi shows I have been watching lately have been supernatural and scrubs. I highly recommend both. Oh, and western tech on the history channel. For some strange reason I am addicted to it.

wisebob134
February 14th, 2008, 05:14 PM
although technically scifi and technically not good , power rangers is really bad but it is so much fun to watch. It never really slows down, so you won't get bored. I'd highly recommend the first power rangers movie as far as bad movies.
As far as good tv shows
The Soup
Prison Break
Flight of the Conchords
Batman the Animated Series

Pike
February 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM
although technically scifi and technically not good , power rangers is really bad but it is so much fun to watch. It never really slows down, so you won't get bored.

I watched the original Japanese show in the seventies. It was marketed to UHF stations as "Go Rangers." (I actually made a Green Ranger t-shirt in third grade art, and was ticked off when everyone thought I was a hockey fan.)

Very weird seeing it resurrected fifteen-odd years later and given a Hollywood makeover.

Anyhoo, back on topic: "Cracker" (UK version! Stay far away from the US version!) was an excellent show. It's smart and character-driven. If you like BSG and Firefly, you'll enjoy it.

Armando
February 14th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Mythbusters is a lot of fun, particularly when they do movie themes. "Dirty Jobs" is a documentary show about people whose jobs are, well, dirty. Both of those run on the Discovery Channel on American cable TV. The Daily Show has been on for 11 seasons now on Comedy Central. When it began, it was good for a few laughs but when Jon Stewart took over hosting duties around season 3 or 4 (sometime around 2000, I think) the show got really smart really fast and, especially after 9/11/01 it started becoming increasingly required viewing for anyone keeping up with the news in the U.S. It's satire, sure, but through that satire shines some pretty prescient news/current affairs analysis.

It's younger brother, The Colbert Report, is also a must-see, sci-fi fan or not.

Shows I would nominate (for no other reason than I like them, keeping in mind that some of these are no longer on, but are available on home video) are:

Arrested Development
(Best American comedy ever made, IMO. It thoroughly merits infinite
viewings as each visit with the Bluth family yields new treasures, either
through buried easter egg jokes or the sheer brilliance of the writing,
which always works at multiple levels)

Seinfeld
(AD's granddaddy and the other best American comedy ever made)

Rome
(Historical drama at its finest. Intelligent. Gripping. Brilliantly performed
and shot. Reminded me a lot of BSG in its ongoing plotline, only in the
ancient world rather than the imagined future)

Pushing Daisies
(A near perfect little show. Whimsical. Funny. Smart. Poignant. Goofy.
Good.)

The Sopranos
(Although I came to this show very late and have only made it through the
first two seasons in order, it very well may be the greatest television
drama of the last 25 or 30 years. Without it there'd be no Lost, no 24, no
Nip/Tuck, no Rescue Me, no The Riches, and definitely no BSG. The writing
on it was downright Shakespearean.)

Boomtown
(An underrated and under-watched show that was the first, tentative step
by a network towards the cinematic aesthetic all over TV today. Only the
first season, of two, is available on DVD and that's just as well, since the
second season was retooled beyond recognition. A simple premise: one
crime seen from many possibilities yielded great results in writing, acting
and directing. Needless to say, nobody watched it. Alas.)

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
(Not a GREAT show with a capital "G," but a damn good one. It's like
Seinfeld only all of the characters are George and aren't really all that
loveable. But man, is it ever fun to watch them squirm!)

All right, I think that's enough from me for now. I'm sure I can think of other things, but I'll stop hogging the spotlight. :D

Armando
February 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Mythbusters on the mark!!

I always dug Nature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(TV_series)) and NOVA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOVA_%28TV_series%29).

There is 30 Rock, also. I love Tina Fey.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj125/frakkintalos/tina.jpg

Grrrr

At the risk of being seen as horribly un-PC: that picture is yummy!

(I've been slowly warming to 30 Rock lately. Don't catch it too often, alas, but whenever I do, I laugh histerically.)

Oooh, other shows I should plug:

Burn Notice is a summer show on USA and an awesome private eye show alla Magnum, P.I. and MacGuiver (only more believable than the latter). My wife's also gotten me slightly hooked on The Closer, which is a quircky drama pretending to be a police procedural and has Keira Segdwick acting the hell out of everybody.

frakkintalos
February 14th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Rome
(Historical drama at its finest. Intelligent. Gripping. Brilliantly performed
and shot. Reminded me a lot of BSG in its ongoing plotline, only in the
ancient world rather than the imagined future)

Forgot 'bout 'Rome'. Great stuff. Vorenus is tragic and at times I was shocked that I could relate. He's an honorable man who eventually becomes a monster to his family. Scary how fine that line be and how important our choices are.

Don't look at me like that.

littleimp
February 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM
In no way are these scifi - but I also like Brothers and Sisters and October Road - mostly I like them because they are intelligent shows (not as intelligent as Lost or BSG, but you know what I mean . . .)

DocP
February 14th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The Mighty Boosh - If you're into quirky british comedy like the pythons or red drawf you may like this. It's surreal to the extreme but is also insanely funny. To prove a point here's a synopsis on one episode. "Vince (main char #1) in a bid to impress two goth girls borrows a book from his shaman roommate. Whilst reading spells from the book Vince and Howard (main char #2) accidentally summon the evilest demon in known existance, who takes the form of a geriatric old lady. In order to prevent london from succoming to her nanny army Vince and Howard disguise themselves as old ladies and attack her where she's most likely to be found, a bingo hall." Throw in a musical number each episode, a whole sub plot not mentioned and a talking moon and you have one awesome show.
________
DEPAKOTE LAWSUIT SETTLEMENTS (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/depakote/)

Listerfiend
February 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
At the risk of being seen as horribly un-PC: that picture is yummy!

i second that!

Nickname Boomer
February 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Strange post seeing as how i could suggest just about everything I like, which would be a very long post indeed.

I would limit it to sci/fi themes but the reason for me sci/fi is different is because it can deal with with everyday issues without the normal baggage of regular drama. all in all for me a short list of cool things non sci/fi are

homicide life on the streets: for acting quality, story its just about the best Drama i've ever seen on tv.

Wonderfalls: cause its just about as much of a perfect comedy i've seen, that didn't turn into a circus act.

action well i can live without action so long as there's true drama, and human emotion. i liked the movie tears of the sun, though

not sure if answered the post properly it just a few things i recommend for what its worth.

Listerfiend
February 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I thought I heard that Chuck was doing quite well in the ratings, so hopefully it will be back next September. Plus Adam Baldwin is in it, it's worth watching just for him.

just read on AintItCool that Chuck, Life, and Heroes were officially renewed for 08-09.

GalaxyRanger
February 15th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Thank you all for your explanations. I lived in the US for a while, spent a semester at college in Kentucky in 2004, but I didn't really have time to pick up on ALL US TV there is.

As it turns out, Mythbuster has been around in my country for quite a while, just under a different name.

And I liked Rome! I only saw the pilot, but it's on my watching list.

Armando
February 15th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you all for your explanations. I lived in the US for a while, spent a semester at college in Kentucky in 2004, but I didn't really have time to pick up on ALL US TV there is.

As it turns out, Mythbuster has been around in my country for quite a while, just under a different name.

And I liked Rome! I only saw the pilot, but it's on my watching list.

Rome repays multiple viewings rather well, so I think the DVDs are worth getting (especially if you can find them cheaper than HBO's suggested list price. Those guys are like drug dealers!). Not only did I find that the early episodes move much quicker than I remembered them (something the pilot got some criticism for) but if your Roman history is rusty or non-existent, Jonathan Stamp, the historical consultant on the show, wrote a wonderful set of features (the "All Roads Lead to Rome" pop-ups, he calls them) that explains a number of arcane cultural details of the show (as well as some anachronisms that were left in for dramatic licenses). His commentary is also very informative.

Regardless of those things, though, the show merits repeated viewings. It really feels more like a 22 hour film at times, or a mini series in two parts/seasons, than a typical serial to me. Plus there's lots of nudity! :D

Armando
February 15th, 2008, 10:29 AM
The Mighty Boosh - If you're into quirky british comedy like the pythons or red drawf you may like this. It's surreal to the extreme but is also insanely funny. To prove a point here's a synopsis on one episode. "Vince (main char #1) in a bid to impress two goth girls borrows a book from his shaman roommate. Whilst reading spells from the book Vince and Howard (main char #2) accidentally summon the evilest demon in known existance, who takes the form of a geriatric old lady. In order to prevent london from succoming to her nanny army Vince and Howard disguise themselves as old ladies and attack her where she's most likely to be found, a bingo hall." Throw in a musical number each episode, a whole sub plot not mentioned and a talking moon and you have one awesome show.

That sounds like "The Young Ones" meets "Black Books..." and funny as hell. I'm going to have to look this up. Thanks, Doc!

dxf
February 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Rome is totally great.

The History Channel recently -- which means they'll re-run it forever, unless you really want to see it, then it won't ever be on again -- had a nifty two-hour special called Life After People (I think), something like that. It examined what would happen to the world and human civilization if people were wiped out suddenly, as explained by a host of biologists, engineers, historians, etc. Very neat. I'm a sucker for the whole post-apocalyptic aesthetic -- Road Warrior, Escape From New York, etc. (Spacehunter, not so much).

30 Rock is so smart and so funny... it's almost too good for its own good. I've made the point before: It has so many quotably jokes that they all blur together, and you can't remember any of them.

And it's kinda off-topic, but PBS this week (re)ran an excellent two-part, four-hour documentary called The Mormons, which looks at the church's very dramatic history. The first part covered the 19th century, which was just loaded with bloody conflicts, all kinds of drama, and the kind of archetypal religious plots and images that would probably resonate with a lot of BSG fans.
And Pushing Daisies is totally nifty.

DocP
February 15th, 2008, 01:41 PM
That sounds like "The Young Ones" meets "Black Books..." and funny as hell. I'm going to have to look this up. Thanks, Doc!

I completely forgot about Black Books, that's another show I'd reccommend. It stares two of the best british comediens, Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran.

It's set in a small book store and features Dylan Moran as a chain drinking chain smoking layabout book store owner who treats customers just how everyone would like to treat their customers. (One good scene is when a man asks Dylan's character to find a book for him, to which he stands up, points to the floor, says "That's where all the travel books are, now look yourself," and forces him onto his hands and knees.)

The show is a really good comedy and I think a lot of people here would like it

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_books)
Link to a streaming site (Morally Questionable) (http://surfthechannel.com/show/television/Black_Books.html)
________
South park dicussion (http://www.tv-gossip.com/south-park/)

Dismal in Denial
February 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Here's my list:
The Daily Show
24 (I'm currently on season 3)
Mythbusters
House
Dirty Jobs
Shark
Chuck
The closer
Burn Notice
American Dad
The Simpsons
Family Guy
The Lone Gunmen

--- Dismal didn't realize he watched that much TV, Jezzzz

Eftiel
February 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Veronica Mars - it was cancelled, but the first season in particular is really good. I was so against watching it for a long time because the premise of a teenage detective seemed cheesy BUT in fact it has a very intriquing mystery that takes the whole season to solve. One of those shows with lots of little clues that all tie together in the end. Plus the actors are good, especilly the lead whose name I have forgotten.

Dismal in Denial
February 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Here's my list:
The Daily Show
24 (I'm currently on season 3)
Mythbusters
House
Dirty Jobs
Shark
Chuck
The closer
Burn Notice
American Dad
The Simpsons
Family Guy
The Lone Gunmen

--- Dismal didn't realize he watched that much TV, Jezzzz

I should amend that... I don't actually watch these shows... my computer records them, then ports them over to my ipod, where they stay until I have time to take a looks, by which time I no longer want to see it.

--- Dismal the braindead

GalaxyRanger
February 15th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I'm a sucker for the whole post-apocalyptic aesthetic -- Road Warrior, Escape From New York, etc. (Spacehunter, not so much).

Have you seen Children of Men?

Solai
February 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Have you seen Children of Men?

Was that any good? Looked interesting but never got around to seeing it.

GalaxyRanger
February 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Was that any good? Looked interesting but never got around to seeing it.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it was good. Rottentomatoes gave it a 92% rating and that's a frakking lot.

My personal opinion: it's either a very European vision or it was just done in such an un-hollywoodesque style, anyway, if you compare it to the new I am Legend movie, there's just a certain feel about Children of Men that's well, bleaker, more dismal, it feels more nightmarish... if I am Legend feels like somebody is chasing after you, then Children of Men feels like some invisible hand is slowly choking you. The colors, for example, I am Legend sometimes has these bright lights that convey a sense of hope even in the dreadful world he's living in, whereas Children of Men just feels gray, completely hopeless, it's an utterly believable vision.
I can only recommend the movie, but make sure that you got something funny to watch afterwards to wash away the taste of societal decay...

Armando
February 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Yes, as a matter of fact, it was good. Rottentomatoes gave it a 92% rating and that's a frakking lot.

My personal opinion: it's either a very European vision or it was just done in such an un-hollywoodesque style, anyway, if you compare it to the new I am Legend movie, there's just a certain feel about Children of Men that's well, bleaker, more dismal, it feels more nightmarish... if I am Legend feels like somebody is chasing after you, then Children of Men feels like some invisible hand is slowly choking you. The colors, for example, I am Legend sometimes has these bright lights that convey a sense of hope even in the dreadful world he's living in, whereas Children of Men just feels gray, completely hopeless, it's an utterly believable vision.
I can only recommend the movie, but make sure that you got something funny to watch afterwards to wash away the taste of societal decay...

It is a dark film, isn't it? Although the scene in the climactic sequence in the refugee camp where everything stops (and that's all I'm going to say) is absolutely heartwarming AND heartbreaking all at once and is one of the most moving moments I've seen put to film in a long time. Not an easy movie to watch, but definitely worth it.

Pike
February 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Veronica Mars - it was cancelled, but the first season in particular is really good.

Oh hell yeah!

I lost track of it after the firstish year, but it was really good. Sort of Encyclopedia Brown meets the Sopranos.

Lady D
February 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Veronica Mars - it was cancelled, but the first season in particular is really good. I was so against watching it for a long time because the premise of a teenage detective seemed cheesy BUT in fact it has a very intriquing mystery that takes the whole season to solve. One of those shows with lots of little clues that all tie together in the end. Plus the actors are good, especilly the lead whose name I have forgotten.

Kristen Bell--incredibly china-doll beautiful, tough, and smart as hell. One of my favorite shows.

Hybrid Master
February 16th, 2008, 12:13 AM
On Children of Men - I liked and disliked this movie, which is actually exactly what I think "they" wanted me to do. No zombies, but definitely dark. I found this vision of the future much more realistic than others out there. You start with a lot of unanswered questions, and that's exactly how you're going to end, with a whole set of new ones. Is it different in other places, where does the boat go, what will happen to the woman and her baby? Troubles, betrayal, violence, .... yet, all in a very bland British way, if you know what I mean.

GalaxyRanger
February 17th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Speaking of the British way, has anyone seen "The IT Crowd" (is the American version out yet?). Timmers, you, maybe?

Because it's such an ├╝ber-geeky-show.

Eftiel
February 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I liked Children of Men. It held my attention and made me think, even though there are sooooo many end-of-the-world movies lately...

Geekychick
February 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Coupling on the BBC is funny
JL Unlimited (reruns :( only)
Jekyll (maybe that's sci fi)
Invader Zim
Inuyasha
My Name is Earl :)
House
Dexter
The Tudors
and as a guilty pleasure... All My Children :D

beach23bum
August 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Due to the Long Deployments I've done in the Navy the list of show I love is somewhat long. but I've just started Red Dwarf after hearing Chuck and crew talking about it so much in the podcast. it's really funny. is there a thread for it, does anyone know?

The Naughtiest Monkey
August 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Oooh, I can do this!

1: Look around you. a parody of the VERY early 80's British schools programs that used to be shown in the middle of the day on BBC2 and then Channel4, they existed to give teachers time off during the day, and teach kids all sorts of stuff.

bCWA7uevo_Q

Season 2 is great as well, but is more of a parody of Tommorrows World, and a bit more of a curates egg.

2: Screenburn. Charlie Brooker reviews TV programs, or talks about stuff on TV, and swear a lot. This clip contains a LOT of cussing.

0b7mwTK564o

3: The League Of Gentlemen. Dark, dark, DARK comedy set in a tiny northern town (20 minute drive from my house, I'm in an episode, a prize if you can find me!) Did I mention that it's dark comedy? because it is.

Very dark.

Very very dark.

Ja3ZlYNaCuI

These were all BBC shows, and great examples of why the BBC exists, on commercial TV they'd never get on the air.

I also notice just how much swearing we have on British TV, after 9pm anything goes!

FLIPPING CACK SOCKERS!

Darth_Revan_Rules
August 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
1. Dexter
2. Rome (yeah its done now but really worth watching on DVD)
3. Burn Notice
4. Psych
5. Man vs Wild