PDA

View Full Version : The End of HD-DVD?

Glimfeather
February 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Just caught this article. I'm really glad I never bought the HD DVD set of BSG now. What do ya'll think NBC/Universal is gonna do now? How long before they get around to releasing BSG in Blu-Ray? And how many think this is the proper ending to the format war?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080216/media_nm/toshiba_hd_dvd_dc

GalaxyRanger
February 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I didn't really care about nor kept track of the format war. I'm happy with DVD and bittorrent as it is and my attitude was: lean back and see what will come about, I'm fine with either format winning, I don't even know what the difference is.

Nickname Boomer
February 16th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Don't think it really matters, i mean i'm always late to adopt to new technology, its cheaper and more reliable that way. but as i look into my crystal ball of the future i see it all going completely digital to hard disks, DVR ect. so i'm not sure either will have a long term future.

but who knows right i have been wrong before, i swore that the "Big Clown lobby", in Washington was responsable for the JFK assasination, it just made perfect sense there were clowns there and the recent jump in the Face paint tax. nearly crippled the industry. and have you ever seen the terrifying and awe inspiring power of an angry Carny. it's like a Wookie, swinging a board with a nail through it.

Sometimes things like this just come out of me

Archtaku
February 17th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I bought a PS3 right after Xmas for the Blu-Ray capabilities, and it was just a couple weeks later that Warner Bros. announced their plans to go exclusive with Blu-ray (previously they had been neutral). And now this.

Looks like I made the right choice, whew!

Topgun
February 18th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I bought the XBox360 for Christmas and held off buying the add-on HD DVD accessory...looks like I made the right choice too ! Whew. Microsoft blew that one ! Somewhere a Microsoft marketing advisor is being lowered into a large shark tank, as Bill Gates looks on.

Gryper
February 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I've stayed away from making any purchase on the new formats. I remember too well the BetaMax vs VHS format war. I'm waiting for the dust to settle down before making a purchase.

Lucky
February 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I don’t know….

I think I am going to keep waiting this one out. I got burned by jumping on the Sony’s mini-disc player bandwagon (’99 I think?), and that was taken over by the MP3 player (relatively new at the time). Maybe after it has been established more strongly for a few years I will jump on the bandwagon.