PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the eclipse? (Not entirely off topic)

dxf
February 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Did anyone catch the eclipse? That was some serious Arrow-of-Apollo stuff: Like, wow, where'd all the stars come from? It was pretty neat from where I am: I got just a glimpse at the full bonus-stars-on-display thing, and then cloud swept in an covered it all.

Lucky
February 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah it was pretty awesome. The moon was just up over these snowcapped mountains near where I live, and it was this crazy shade of red and orange for a bit. I think that was supposed to be the last eclipse for a few years too.

Pike
February 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I saw it (well, the first half) and was damned impressed. Tried to get some pix, but the iphone's camera wasn't up to it. The thing that baked my noodle was how bright the fully eclipsed moon was. How does that work? Or, more specifically, why does it get darker before it's brighter?

The Alpaca Herder
February 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
The weather here in Las Vegas was bad enough to where seeing the eclipse was not going to happen.

Glimfeather
February 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I shot some footage of the eclipse, but only the second half. Beautiful clear night sky for it here in St. Lou. And then, right when it was over, some thin cloud cover swept over the newly uncovered moon, just for effect. I'll try to get the footage put together and posted today or tomorrow.

Glimfeather
February 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Okay, so it took longer than today or tomorrow, and it's still a rough cut, but here it is. I slapped some Explosions in the Sky on there just for effect. Please enjoy.

gA4bDwCvhfU

timmers
February 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM
<gripe>
I'd just like to say .... "grrr"

I was on the way back to UK on the redeye during the eclipse, which should have given me an *excellent* opportunity to see the eclipse - especially given as how essentially the whole of the UK was under 100% cloud cover that night.

However helpfully the pilot decided *when we were landing*! to tell us how the flight crew had spent a pretty cool hour getting an excellent look at the eclipse.

Given the madness that goes on with timezones etc, I couldn't for the life of me work out when I should have been able to see the eclipse, so I was pretty riled to think how easy it would have been for them to make an announcement *during* rather than *after* the event.

:\

</gripe>

Topgun
February 28th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Very Cool! Nice job Glimfeather. I watched the eclipse from several locations that night, ambient light kept bugging me so I ended up in a cemetary in town with no streetlights around, and it was awesome/spooky. I recall watching a solar eclipse in the same cemetary when I was young and still riding a bike, scared the cr*****p out of me, even though I was into astronomy and was expecting it.
The placement of Saturn and Regulus was very '2001-ish' and I couldn't believe how bright the other stars appeared for awhile. We had a bit of light cloud cover at the start, but it cleared out less than halfway through so all was well. The moon got very rust-colored and I was surprised how much it glowed. Of course, my telescope was safely tucked away in the basement (damn!) It's a reflector and needs serious alignment, and I've decided to will it to my oldest son and let him fix it! I'm a refractor guy in need of a paycheck to squander. But I digress...

Audra
March 14th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Glimfeather, thanks for the video! Here in Dallas the sky was too overcast that night to see the eclipse (plus I was teaching a writing workshop and would have missed the first part of it anyway). But seeing your vision of it makes me feel better. :)