PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Night Bull Session, 9.30.07

Chuck
September 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Last Sunday night a whole bunch of people were on the forum BS-ing and enjoying the last remnants of the weekend before we all return to the grind, and I had a great time. So I thought I'd post a thread for it. I'll be around tonight -- sadly, I'll probably be working, trying to catch up so I don't get completely slammed Monday morning -- so if you're looking for some fun end-of-weekend random whatever, bring it. Or share it. You get the idea.

And if this turns out to be a stupid idea, well, I'll know better next week.

nerium
September 30th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Here's some dated randomness for everyone's enjoyment: The always aerodynamic Lincoln Continental. (http://www.videosift.com/video/280-mph-rocket-powered-Lincoln-attempts-to-jump-St-Lawrence)

gahnzz
September 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Here's some dated randomness for everyone's enjoyment: The always aerodynamic Lincoln Continental. (http://www.videosift.com/video/280-mph-rocket-powered-Lincoln-attempts-to-jump-St-Lawrence)

I think my favorite part would be the announcer - after four long camera perspectives displaying the disintegration of the car - calmly, saying... "Powers' jump was a failure..." No??? Really?!?!

The Fair Melissa
September 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
If you look closely, you'll see the "ACME Corporation" on the side of that rocket. (no, not really).

nerium
September 30th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Something about the inflection of the 'million' the several time it's repeated gets me.

nerium
September 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Since I'm apparently on a Canadian kick tonight: Anyone like Feist? Very nice music video (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1777646), but I'm a sucker for gratuitous crane shots.

Chuck
September 30th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Wow -- I totally ended up playing through Halo 3 again tonight with Audra. I think I'm addicted.

Sean
October 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
Since I'm apparently on a Canadian kick tonight: Anyone like Feist? Very nice music video (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1777646), but I'm a sucker for gratuitous crane shots.

After I saw the ipod spot on TV I couldn't stop watching the video. I haven't seen that much choreographed dance since Grease. Frakk'n cool song.

AirborneAce
October 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM
weather-permitting I'll be soloing tommorrow afternoon...kind of excited about that

nerium
October 1st, 2007, 07:29 AM
Wow -- I totally ended up playing through Halo 3 again tonight with Audra. I think I'm addicted.

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Don't know what the subsequent steps are but I'm pretty sure they involve hallucinating Brad Pitt as your alter-ego and possibly shooting yourself in the face. Although... that's gotta to be ineffective b/c of the Spartan get-up, but hey you got through step 1, so props!

Pike
October 1st, 2007, 08:24 AM
weather-permitting I'll be soloing tommorrow afternoon...kind of excited about that

Let us know how that goes!

Solai
October 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM
Here goes the new week...wish me luck in finding a new job. This one is has outlived its usefulness. (as can be shown by my time available to participate on the boards and sing the intro)

AirborneAce
October 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM
Let us know how that goes!

Ha, its not looking good so far. There's a big storm front moving in

Chuck
October 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
Good luck, AA. My first solo didn't go so smoothly...

It was a beautiful day -- the kind you always hope to get for a first solo. It was just before twilight when my instructor and I landed after a lesson, and there was almost no wind. He looked over and said, "Ok, I want three takeoffs and landings to a full stop. The airplane's going to be a lot lighter without me in it, so remember to account for that." Then I noticed that half the people at the airport were hanging around the porch on the back of one guy's hangar that faced the runway, drinking beer and waiting for the show.

(I learned to fly at a tiny airport, so it's not really that many people, but I knew most of 'em by name.)

So I did my first takeoff, flew my normal too-wide pattern, and landed. The air was so smooth it felt like riding in an airliner. The second worked exactly the same way.

On my third takeoff, I just cleared the end of the runway and I hear this incredibly-loud BANG followed by a drop-off of about 750 RPM. I reached for the throttle, but thought better of it and left it alone. Still climbing, I contemplated a 90-degree left turn and a landing on I-35 (which is about 1/4-mile from the end of the runway). But it kept running, so I turned into a -- much tighter now, thank you -- pattern. On the downwind it kept running, though I saw a bit of flame flicker from the front of the cowling. By the time I turned crosswind, I was actually above pattern altitude, but I figured I could always slip it off, but if I ended up short I was screwed, so I let it run.

As I turned final, I was so high that there was no advantage in climbing further, so I pulled the throttle back a tad -- and it quit. I ended up slipping off a bit, then a bit more, and made my third landing.

It's funny. When I was just about to touch down and everything was pretty much over, I remember thinking, "It'd really suck to make a crappy landing right now with everyone watching." Then I thought, "I wonder if I'll be able to get it off the runway."

I carried a little energy and pulled it off the runway. Everyone came over, and one of the guys popped the cowling. It turns out the front left cylinder had cracked, all the way 'round. The flames I saw were just air/fuel escaping via the crack -- no real danger.

Anyway, from your avatar I'm guessing you're flying something much more reliable than a crappy old Tomahawk loaded full of car parts. (In their defense, it did rent for $34/hour wet.) So yours will be smooth, unbridled joy.

BTW: Wear a crappy shirt. (Unless you're hanging with military pilots. Then wear a swim suit, or at least something that's wash-'n-wear.)

AirborneAce
October 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Wow, thats an eventful 3rd landing. I really hope mine goes a lot smoother.

I dont know if you saw my introduction post or not, but Im actually majoring in commercial aviation at Delta State

We have 172 P and R models, 172 RGs,a bunch of 152s, a couple of Duchesses and a King Air

Right now Im mainly in the P models but Im going to solo in an R (thankfully!)

My flight slot is from 1 to 3, when its usually the windiest so Ive had to put in several days of extra training working on my landings since we rarely have a calm afternoon here in the Delta.

AirborneAce
October 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
Alright, great news everyone. Im officially a pilot now.

I had to wait all afternoon for the wind to calm down, but I made 4 full-stop solo landings in a 172R.

Party time

Number 13
October 1st, 2007, 11:03 PM
Congrats! I remember how scared I was the first time I drove by myself. I kept thinking "Holy crap, someone's supposed to be sitting there!" I can only imagine what that must feel like when you're flying in the air. Makes my palms sweat thinking about it lol.

Pike
October 2nd, 2007, 12:15 AM
Congrats! Good on ya!

(BTW, can you ferry me to Vegas?)

Chuck
October 2nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
(BTW, can you ferry me to Vegas?)

Remember the creedo of private pilots: if you're got time to spare, go by air.

Congrats, man. How's about a shot of your shirttail?

AirborneAce
October 2nd, 2007, 08:20 AM
sure thing, I gotta get the pics from my instructor

Armando
October 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
All right, so it's Tuesday, but you know that I've been busy and, since I'm way behind on the rewatch now, I don't know the best place to post this. Anyway, Chuck, you know how I've always complained about "Black Market" sucking? Well, I FINALLY got to it last night and, well, it didn't suck as much as I remembered it sucking. In fact, it kinda worked for me that time.

Frak me!

AirborneAce
October 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Remember the creedo of private pilots: if you're got time to spare, go by air.

How come you've never mentioned before that you were a pilot (or maybe I missed it)