PDA

View Full Version : Would appreciate your thoughts and prayers

Armando
September 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey GWC,

It's a little strange posting something this personal on a public forum, but over the last year I feel like I've gotten to know a lot of you personally, even though we've never met in the real world, and feel like I have some good friends out there in Galactica fandom. In any case, my presence in the forums will likely be sporadic in the coming weeks/months as last night, as I was finishing a concert in DC, I was informed that my wife had given birth to our second child, whom we were not expecting until December. Thankfully and miraculously, the baby is doing extremely well, even breathing on her own and being taken off ventilation. So things are looking good. Unfortunately, she's at a different hospital than her mother, since the level of care available at the one is better than at the other. This is making things really tough right now, and the coming weeks the little one will be spending in the hospital before she can come home will be trying.

This is all to say, we'd appreciate your thoughts and, for those of you who pray, your prayers during this difficult time. Thank you for your concern and your friendship. I'll see you all real soon.

So say we all.

Chuck
September 30th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Armando, I'm sure I speak for Audra and Sean as well when I say congratulations on the newest addition to your family and that you and yours are in our thoughts.

DocP
September 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
he can speak for me as well.
________
Vaporizer wiki (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

Raemani
September 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
You will be in my thoughts and prayers, please keep us as up to date as you have time and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Be safe on your trip home (I am guessing you are on the road now).

And I think Chuck you could speak for all of us in this community that we will be keeping Mom and Baby in our prayers.

Pike
September 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Glad to hear the little one is doing well. Godspeed.

Boxytheboxed
September 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM
all of our prayers to you the wee one, and your wife
jut dont name the kid Gius, thats a bad omen

Solai
September 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Armando,

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to hear she is doing well. Stay strong and feel free to come here and vent, you got a Watercooler and an Alpaca on your team. Not sure what that means exactly, but it sounds right.

Take care my friend.

perryostrin
September 30th, 2007, 09:31 PM
yes fellow drumer may god bless your baby and wife to be happy n healthy!

Number 13
September 30th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Well your family has my thoughts and prayers and congratulations on the baby. It's absolutely amazing what doctors can do these days (In July, my cousin gave birth 6 weeks early and the outcome was nothing short of a miracle).

Armando
September 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Guys, this is why this is the best forum on the web. You guys are awesome. I'm actually at home, after driving all night last night. I had intended to spend the night with my wife in the hospital, but they kicked me out as it's hospital policy that new fathers leave the building at 10:00 p.m. (when our first daughter was born I was able to stay with my wife and child, though). The new one, who is about 11-12 weeks early, is doing phenomenally well. Nothing much has changed since I posted a few hours ago, other than when I talked to the NICU in Syracuse the attending physician I spoke with literally said, "she's doing really, really, really well," which is very encouraging. I appreciate your concerns and your support. You all rock and if we can get the Vegas meet-up together, you can have a round of drinks on me.

snacktime
September 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM
you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Audra
September 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Armando, congratulations on your new little daughter! She sounds spunky. Maybe she just really, really wanted to be a Libra. :)

We're keeping you and your family in our thoughts.

Glimfeather
September 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Congrats, Armando, and to your wife and the new little one. It's my pleasure to pray for you, and I hope you all sleep well tonight and in the weeks to come as little Miss Armando Jr. grows stronger.

Oh, and I'd take Boxy's advice about the name.

Lady D
September 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Armando, I'm so thrilled to hear your daughter's doing so well. You and yours are in my thoughts.

The Fair Melissa
October 1st, 2007, 12:23 AM
Armando - congratulations on the newest member of your family. May you find strength and comfort in your friends and family as you count the days until your precious daughter goes home with you. San Francisco sends its love.

Raemani
October 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
Guys, this is why this is the best forum on the web. You guys are awesome. I'm actually at home, after driving all night last night. I had intended to spend the night with my wife in the hospital, but they kicked me out as it's hospital policy that new fathers leave the building at 10:00 p.m. (when our first daughter was born I was able to stay with my wife and child, though). The new one, who is about 11-12 weeks early, is doing phenomenally well. Nothing much has changed since I posted a few hours ago, other than when I talked to the NICU in Syracuse the attending physician I spoke with literally said, "she's doing really, really, really well," which is very encouraging. I appreciate your concerns and your support. You all rock and if we can get the Vegas meet-up together, you can have a round of drinks on me.

Like everyone has said it is good to hear that she is doing well. I will keep her in my prayers. Your wife will be home with you soon and I am sure you both need the rest - so it is probably better that they make you go home, especially if you drove all night to get there. Again we are here if you need anything. Keep us up to date when you can.

Racetracks Man
October 1st, 2007, 01:30 AM
Armando, my thoughts are with you and your family, make sure you take care of both your ladies when they come home and just as importantly take care of yourself

Jason
October 1st, 2007, 03:27 AM
Armando, you and your wife and new daughter are in my thoughts as well. Congratulations, and I wish you all the very best.

Armando
October 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Again, you guys amaze me. Thank you. Elena (no, not Gaius. Though at one point I contemplated giving her "Aurora" as a middle name. Her middle name is Hope, though. Seems appropriate) is doing great. She just graduated to an "isolette," which is the kind of incubator that you see little Hera in during the late episodes of season 2.5, which means she's doing really well and doesn't need the concentrated care that the original arrangement provided.

Coolest thing about today, though: I got to hold her for a minute while they moved her into the incubator!

Now, I have to go. The other miss Armando Jr. has open house at school tonight. Thanks for the love, guys. You all rock. :-)

gafra
October 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Armando,

Glad to hear everyone is recovering OK.

I hope the news continues to be good. So Say We All.

gaf

Timbuck
October 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
I'm not a religious guy but my thoughts are with you. I'm sure the BSG gods will smile on your family and all will be well for your little one. Keep the faith and be a rock for your wife.

Timbuck

Cami's mom
October 3rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Armando, my daughter came early as well tho not quite as early as your little Elena Hope. It's very scary when your little one is placed in such an alien environment. I think it's good that the Dr is saying such positive things, in my experience they like to err on the side of caution. Take care of yourself and your family knowing that people you've never met are thinking of you and sending all the best your way.

P.s. great name!

Leon Kensington
October 3rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Armando, I used to do PR for a hospital that specialized in multiple births, early deliveries, and the like and can personally tell you that I am quite certain your daughter is recieving the best care possible. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

--Leon

Gryper
October 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Congratulations on the addition to your family Armando. I'll keep you all in my thoughts...hope your little sweetie keeps doing well.

Armando
October 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Armando, my daughter came early as well tho not quite as early as your little Elena Hope. It's very scary when your little one is placed in such an alien environment. I think it's good that the Dr is saying such positive things, in my experience they like to err on the side of caution. Take care of yourself and your family knowing that people you've never met are thinking of you and sending all the best your way.

P.s. great name!

As always, you guys rock. Have a round on me at Boxey's Cantina!

About the name: I just found out that my doctoral adviser's daughter is an exact namesake to my second daughter. I knew she was Elena, but did not realize she was Elena Hope also. Knowing the circumstances of that little girl's birth, though, I'm not surprised. (I have much more commiserating to do with that professor.)

Again, thanks for all of your thoughts. Elena is continuing to do well and we're all very hopeful, even if we're very tired already.

Phil
October 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Armando-

This is my first time checking out the non-Galactica part of the board so I just now saw your original post. Congratulations on your growing family. It's great to hear that mother and baby are doing well.

All the best,

Phil

iGhost
October 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
My prayers are with you

Pike
October 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
May the gods be with your littlest one.

Armando
October 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thank you, again. She's still doing good. Elena was given an all-clear head ultrasound last night. Hopefully the next one, in ten days, will be the same.

Solai
October 4th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Pictures? I want to see the wee one! If she has half your spirit she will be running circles around all of us in no time.

Armando
October 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Pictures? I want to see the wee one! If she has half your spirit she will be running circles around all of us in no time.

Now you're just flattering me, Solai. I've got pictures up on my Facebook page (I don't have a Flikr account).

ATGreat
October 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM
You could post a single small one here. :)

Raemani
October 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Now you're just flattering me, Solai. I've got pictures up on my Facebook page (I don't have a Flikr account).

Or if you want you can put them in my Flickr or Photobucket account - or I could make you an avatar with Elena....let me know.

She is a cutie by the way

Pike
October 4th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hell yeah! Throw some pix up on Flickr (don't cost nothing) and add them to the GWC pool.

Remember: it only has to make sense to us.

Armando
October 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Or if you want you can put them in my Flickr or Photobucket account - or I could make you an avatar with Elena....let me know.

She is a cutie by the way

Thanks. :) I'll see if I can figure out a way to do this and put a picture up on here or on the Flickr pool before the end of the day. Mind you, she starts feeding today so she'll be even cuter before long, as she starts gaining more weight. (I can't wait!)

Solai
October 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Careful there Armando...soon she will be gaining weight...getting older and turn into something like my 10 month old cutie:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/bat__1/personal/IMG_5908a.jpg

...and we can't have that, now can we? ;)

Armando
October 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Oh dear gods, Solai! She is so disarmingly cute, I just can't bear it! One question: how'd you embed the picture? When I tried earlier it asked me for a URL.

Solai
October 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
It automatically imbeds the picture once you set the link. For example

http://www.solaiisawesome/com/awesomepicofme.jpg (where the 1 are i)

As long as you have a place you can post pictures (your own website, flickr, photobucket, etc) you post, link et voila!

Armando
October 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
It automatically imbeds the picture once you set the link. For example

http://www.solaiisawesome/com/awesomepicofme.jpg (where the 1 are i)

As long as you have a place you can post pictures (your own website, flickr, photobucket, etc) you post, link et voila!

Let's try this then:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=303081&id=782700989

Armando
October 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
D'oh! That didn't work. I'll try again...

Solai
October 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Let me try with a picture I have on Facebook...

<edit, removed pic...this thread is about Armando's beautiful little girl>

Wow. Didn't know you could do that. I think your link got cut off halfway. Try again, should work.

Topgun
October 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Armando,
Congratulations on your newest !! She must have something very important on her agenda, no waiting around !! Best wishes to your wife and little ones, and to you. I am quite sure that years from now you will be needling her with the story of how she gave you all a fright !! I'll be saying a little prayer for her.
Doug/Topgun

Armando
October 6th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Armando,
Congratulations on your newest !! She must have something very important on her agenda, no waiting around !! Best wishes to your wife and little ones, and to you. I am quite sure that years from now you will be needling her with the story of how she gave you all a fright !! I'll be saying a little prayer for her.
Doug/Topgun

Thanks, Doug.

Let's see if Solai's suggestion works again:

http://http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=303081&id=782700989

Armando
October 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
http://http://facebook.com/photo.php?pid=303081&id=782700989

Armando
October 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Alas, I can't seem to get it to work. :-(

One thought that springs to mind is that I could put a picture up on the GWC Facebook group and show Elena off that way. I may try that if I can't get this to work.

Solai
October 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Check your PM Armando.

Armando
October 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Check your PM Armando.

PM? What's a PM?

Pike
October 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
You've got the 'http' in there twice.

Even corrected, though, I can't get to it (you have to log in.) Is there 'embed' code on the pictures page?

Solai
October 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Here we go...

http://photos-989.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v126/236/87/782700989/n782700989_303081_130.jpg

Armando
October 6th, 2007, 06:28 PM
There's my little girl. Though that was a week ago. She's lost her double chin a bit (she lost some weight, which is normal at birth) and she's been a lot more alert lately. In fact, she was up and looking around for a good half hour this afternoon. Even tried to lift and move her head, the silly girl!

Now, Solai, how'd you finally do that? I tried removing the http:// from getting repeated, the www. as well as taking the URL from the properties sub-menu and STILL couldn't get it to embed.

Solai
October 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hey Armando,

I suspect it is a challenge you are facing due to your browser.

If you are using IE 7, do the following:
1. Right click on the picture
2. Goto properties
3. Where it says "Address" click and hold at the beginning where it says http and drag until you get to the end where it says .jpg. Either hit control-c or right click and copy, however you role
4. Go into a new post and drop in the link surrounded by tags where the 1 is an i

If you are using Firefox
1. Right click on the image
2. Click on "copy image location"
3. Goto #4 of prior walkthru

That should be it. If you are still having trouble, pm me, email me, whatever. I am here for you.

Good luck!

Cami's mom
October 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Armando, Elena is so cute! And, GODS, does she have a head of hair or what? :D My first had cue-ball head for months. What are Elena's stats? Hope things are going well for you and all of yours.

Armando
October 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Armando, Elena is so cute! And, GODS, does she have a head of hair or what? :D My first had cue-ball head for months. What are Elena's stats? Hope things are going well for you and all of yours.

She's doing great. Been breathing on her own for a week now, had a clear head scan mid-week (another one is due in about a week) and has started feeding on breast milk, though very little for now to get her used to it. She's a bit jaundiced so she's had to go back on the lights they use to treat that, but she doesn't seem to mind. Right now the hardest part is having to leave her in the hospital each night.

Our oldest had a full head of hair at birth. I used to joke that she got all of my hair because, well, I've been steadily losing mine since I was 17. Elena would've had more hair than her sister had she gone full term and I can only imagine what she'll look like when she finally hits her full gestational age. These kids today!:D

The Fair Melissa
October 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
My daughter was born with a full head of hair and never lost it - made her look a lot older than she was, but at least I never had to tape hair bows to her head (not that I ever put a bow on her - why ruin perfection?)

The Fair Melissa
October 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
She's doing great. Been breathing on her own for a week now, had a clear head scan mid-week (another one is due in about a week) and has started feeding on breast milk, though very little for now to get her used to it. She's a bit jaundiced so she's had to go back on the lights they use to treat that, but she doesn't seem to mind.

What fabulous news, Armando! Thanks for keeping us posted on Elena Hope's progress.

Right now the hardest part is having to leave her in the hospital each night.
Remember that when she screams her head off all night long and the only thing that will make her stop is a two hour drive. At 3:00 am.

Pike
October 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM
She's a bit jaundiced so she's had to go back on the lights they use to treat that, but she doesn't seem to mind. Right now the hardest part is having to leave her in the hospital each night.

Hah!

I was a breech birth, and a second son (first didn't survive) with a different blood type than my mom's. So, many complications. Point being, my grandfather comes to inspect the new one and proudly reports to my mom that "He's got a good healthy color, not as pasty as those other babies." Mom rolled her eyes and said to herself, "He's jaundiced."

OK, maybe not as fun if you hadn't heard the endless stories of Grandpa checking up on me and finding all of my problems delightful examples of how I was different from everyone else.

Armando
October 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM
What fabulous news, Armando! Thanks for keeping us posted on Elena Hope's progress.

Remember that when she screams her head off all night long and the only thing that will make her stop is a two hour drive. At 3:00 am.

Right now, I'd take that drive at 3:00 a.m. Melissa. Believe me, I've been down that road before (I do have a five year old, you know).

The Fair Melissa
October 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Right now, I'd take that drive at 3:00 a.m. Melissa. Believe me, I've been down that road before (I do have a five year old, you know).

I'm sure you would, Armando. From all accounts, Elena is a fighter and is doing so well. Who knows? I bet she'll be home and screaming by her original due date (which, coincidentally, is my daughter's birthday). When she's older, you can tell her how she dodged the "combined gift" bullet.

Glimfeather
October 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Just found out yesterday I'm gonna be an uncle. My sister won't let me tell anybody yet, but she doesn't know you guys. So there! She's the first of me and my siblings to have a kid, so the pressure's finally off now.

Happy to read continued good news about Elena, Armando. Her pics on Facebook look great, too!

Topgun
October 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Armando, I was very happy to read that Elena is doing well. Kids are crazy-tough, especially infants, they seem to be able to throw off everything that would sideline you or I for weeks. And yet there is no worse feeling than having a little one in distress. But Elena seems to be doing really excellent by your account, and I'm very happy (again, very happy, but what else can you say about a new life..very, very happy for you) .

The Fair Melissa
October 8th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Just found out yesterday I'm gonna be an uncle. My sister won't let me tell anybody yet, but she doesn't know you guys. So there! She's the first of me and my siblings to have a kid, so the pressure's finally off now.

Congrats on your ascension to uncle status! Unfortunately, I think you mean the pressure's off FOR now. I was the last one in my family to have a child and I thought that all those grandkids that came before me would be enough. Nope. Not even close.

Topgun
October 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Armando,
Happy to read that things are going well, with E packing on the weight !! As we say up here in these parts, "Wicked Awesome !" Continued best wishes to you and yours.

Nickname Boomer
October 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM
My perish priest growing up once asked, me to pray for a fellow, member of the congregation, and I asked him why should I. she surely was praying to god herself, She was a good and just woman, wouldn’t god answer her prayers. He told me, That Hopes, wished and dreams of a single boy could change the world and fates of others, and to ask for god’s grace for another, was as close as we could get to god’s true message on earth

You, your wife and child have deepest my prayers and hopes, and May the grace given me be passed on to you

Drew

Armando
October 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Drew, thanks for your very beautiful thought. Elena just had her two week birthday today and is doing very well. She's gained a considerable amount of weight (about 100 grams) in the past week alone, is feeding on her mother's milk more than she was at the beginning of the week, which means she may be off of her IV by the end of next week, and is generally in good shape. I'll put up a more recent picture soon.

Cami's mom
October 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
... She's gained a considerable amount of weight (about 100 grams) in the past week alone, is feeding on her mother's milk more than she was at the beginning of the week, which means she may be off of her IV by the end of next week, and is generally in good shape....

Armando this is super news! NICU's have such awesome folks and state-of-the-art technology especially for the really little ones, but I know it's hard to "leave her behind." Please do post your new pics and keep us updated when you're up to it.

Armando
October 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'll have pictures up soon. It's been a crazy week with my faculty recital coming up and another concert this evening (hence why I'm up so late on a night before I have to teach...first time in two weeks too). Elena was weighed today and (drum roll) she EXCEEDED HER BIRTH WEIGHT (by 65 grams at that!). The doctors were not expecting her to even match her birth weight for another three weeks, so this is awesome news. At this rate she'll be hitting the magic number of 1500 grams (at which point they'll be able to either graduate her to a less intensive nursery in the same NICU or, hope of hopes, transfer her back to the hospital where she was born, which is only five or ten minutes away from us, as opposed to an hour) by week's end!

That was, by far, the best part of today. Made all the anxiety my wife and I have been feeling today just melt away.

Raemani
October 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I'll have pictures up soon. It's been a crazy week with my faculty recital coming up and another concert this evening (hence why I'm up so late on a night before I have to teach...first time in two weeks too). Elena was weighed today and (drum roll) she EXCEEDED HER BIRTH WEIGHT (by 65 grams at that!). The doctors were not expecting her to even match her birth weight for another three weeks, so this is awesome news. At this rate she'll be hitting the magic number of 1500 grams (at which point they'll be able to either graduate her to a less intensive nursery in the same NICU or, hope of hopes, transfer her back to the hospital where she was born, which is only five or ten minutes away from us, as opposed to an hour) by week's end!

That was, by far, the best part of today. Made all the anxiety my wife and I have been feeling today just melt away.

This is AWESOME news Armando. I am sure it would be great help to have her closer to home and allow you and your wife to spend more time with her then you get to now. I am sure that will help the stress level.

How is you other little one doing? I guess she is itching to get to see her little sister.

Thanks for keeping us updated, can't wait to see the pics and I will still be keeping little Elena in my thoughts and prayers.

gafra
October 17th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Good news Armando! I'm sure that takes a load off your mind.

Armando
October 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
This is AWESOME news Armando. I am sure it would be great help to have her closer to home and allow you and your wife to spend more time with her then you get to now. I am sure that will help the stress level.

How is you other little one doing? I guess she is itching to get to see her little sister.

Thanks for keeping us updated, can't wait to see the pics and I will still be keeping little Elena in my thoughts and prayers.

Older sister's doing all right. She's only gotten to see Elena once, since she developed a cold over the weekend and was turned away at the door of the NICU last Saturday (she was not happy about that). She's thrown a few more tantrums than normal, but then again, so have the two adults in our household, so I'm not too worried about that.

I am, however, unbelievably exhausted today. Like, "head feels like I'm swimming in molasses" exhausted. It's a very weird feeling and the saddest part is I know I won't get any real sleep until, say, mid-2009 or so.

It's like living in "33" only without the constant Cylon attacks!

Solai
October 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Elena is kicking ass and taking numbers! Woot! Don't worry about lack of sleep...sleep is overrated.

Cami's mom
October 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM
... Elena was weighed today and (drum roll) she EXCEEDED HER BIRTH WEIGHT (by 65 grams at that!). ...

Even more terrific news Armando! Sounds like the jaundice is probably improved too, those lamp thingys work wonders. This is just sounding better and better. Wish we were closer, I'd baby/toddler sit for you. But, your kids would have to watch BSG DVDs with me like mine do. :)

And remember Solai is right "sleep is overrated" and, hey, 2009 will be here before you know it. :D

Armando
October 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately we've had a little bit of a setback since my last update. Elena's nurses noticed that she was unusually pale and lethargic overnight on Tuesday and, after a couple of drops in her heart rate, breathing and oxygenation levels, they had to put her back on a respirator because they feared an infection. Thankfully, both the blood work and the culture turned out negative for infection and Elena is regaining much of her spunk after a blood transfusion, which is apparently routine in babies born before 32 weeks or so because babies that young do not produce their own blood yet and Elena's red blood cells were starting to get low. So hopefully she'll be back off the respirator tomorrow (she's been fighting the tube in her throat and not really needing the help breathing much of yesterday and today) and able to start feeding again and we'll be back on the right path. But it's been a stressful couple of days.

Topgun
October 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
How's your Elena doing, Armando ? I'm sure (like me) no one wanted to bother you after such a scare last week.

Armando
October 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
QUOTE=Topgun;4479]How's your Elena doing, Armando ? I'm sure (like me) no one wanted to bother you after such a scare last week.[/QUOTE]

Much better. I was going to post an update but didn't want to bother everyone. I guess I should get over that, huh? :D

She's continuing to gain weight. Went off the ventilator on Monday and continues to grow. Her feedings are being raised again since she went off the ventilator and we're hoping she'll be up to 19 ML per meal within a week so that she won't need the I.V. anymore (she had to have a pick line inserted in her arm today because she's gone through so many I.V.'s. Poor kid!).

Mostly, though, I was really, really, really happy to see her yesterday. I've had a cold all week and was not allowed to see her until I was all better. I didn't get to hold her, alas, but it was still so nice to see her again that I dreamt about her last night. :D

I'll put a picture up in a bit, as soon as I refresh my memory on how to do it.

Solai
October 26th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Here you go buddy:

http://photos-989.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v128/236/87/782700989/n782700989_343119_7768.jpg

Let me know if you would like me to link to a different one. We can try to get this to work for you again too. Basic steps:

1. Right click on image
2. In Firefox select "Copy image location" (this is the easiest).
2a. If you are using IE, right click, go to Properties and select the ENTIRE path. It is really easy to not get the whole thing. Click and hold and drag to the end.
3. With the link in memory come here. Make a new post. Use the img tags -img- LINK -/img- where the dashes are brackets.

C'est tout.

Armando
October 26th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Here you go buddy:

http://photos-989.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v128/236/87/782700989/n782700989_343119_7768.jpg

Let me know if you would like me to link to a different one. We can try to get this to work for you again too. Basic steps:

1. Right click on image
2. In Firefox select "Copy image location" (this is the easiest).
2a. If you are using IE, right click, go to Properties and select the ENTIRE path. It is really easy to not get the whole thing. Click and hold and drag to the end.
3. With the link in memory come here. Make a new post. Use the img tags -img- LINK -/img- where the dashes are brackets.

C'est tout.

Tried all that before but it didn't work. (I'm using IE, by the way.) I'll just have to rely on you continuing to invade my privacy to get this done. ;)

(If you wouldn't mind putting one of her with her eyes open on here, that would be great. Thanks.) :D

Armando
October 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Try this:

[http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v106/236/87/782700989/n782700989_357127_2436.jpg

Woo hoo! There she is! I've figured it out. Thanks for your help, Solai.

Solai
October 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Tried all that before but it didn't work. (I'm using IE, by the way.) I'll just have to rely on you continuing to invade my privacy to get this done. ;)

Don't think of it as me invading your privacy...just think of it of me breaking into your house and looking through your stuff. Totally different.

Well done on the picture post!

Armando
October 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Don't think of it as me invading your privacy...just think of it of me breaking into your house and looking through your stuff. Totally different.

Well done on the picture post!

Oh well, in that case, don't mind the tighty whities. ;)

The Fair Melissa
October 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Armando, she looks wonderful! Look at her sucking her thumb like a pro. Thanks for keeping us posted - I'm sure it's so hard to juggle all you have to do, but I'm thrilled to read about her progress.

Armando
October 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Thanks, Melissa (and everyone else). I'll post new pictures later today or tomorrow. She's actually starting to look chubbier and more baby-ish (rather than premie-ish) to me. Today I got to hold her for a long while and she was fully alert the entire time. In fact, she was fully alert when we put her back in her isolette and left for the day.

Best thing, though, was the sound of her hiccups while I was holding her. It's quite possibly the cutest sound I've ever heard. So cute, in fact, I got the giggles from it.

Pike
October 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
What color are her eyes? They look bluish in that last photo.

Cavatar
October 28th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I just saw the posting on this and I also wanted to give my congratulations and to wish you my best... I am not a religious person but my thoughts will be with you. Cavatar

Raemani
October 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Wow, Armando, it looks like she is doing great, even with the scare last week. And you are right she is starting to put on some weight and not look like a premie anymore (of course I never thought she looked like a premie - but it is hard to tell in pictures). Friends of mine had a like boy at the same number of weeks as your wife (he is 2 now), and he looked so much smaller then Elena.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Armando
October 29th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Stupid work computer, won't let me "multi quote!"

Anyway...

Pike: her eyes are dark blue, though that will probably change as she gets older. It seems that most babies' eyes are some shade of blue and then morph into their natural color into their first month or so (then again, Elena is 1 month old today and still has blueish eyes). Our first daughter's eyes were the same color until they turned the same color as mine (very dark brown, almost black. Can't even see our pupils!) at 1-1.5 months old or so.

Raemani: I knew I wasn't seeing things when I saw her yesterday! When my wife called in for a report last night we found out that she'd weighed in at 1775 grams, which means she put on weight between our visit on Saturday and the one yesterday. I could've sworn she looked bigger yesterday! But yes, she's doing well. She still has a ways to go till she can move out of her isolette, though mostly it's just regarding her temperature regulation, which is coming along. She's still having some trouble with oxygen desaturation in her blood, but those episodes seem to be correcting themselves rather quickly and aren't really affecting her at all. All in all, she's reaching milestones on schedule so far, although her weight gain is probably ahead of schedule.

Cavatar: thanks for the good wishes. They're very much appreciated. :-)

At this rate, we're hoping she'll be able to come home before Christmas!

Pike
October 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM
At this rate, we're hoping she'll be able to come home before Christmas!

Best Christmas ever.

Solai
October 29th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Best Christmas ever.

Especially if they have pie.

Armando
October 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v158/236/87/782700989/n782700989_367752_8747.jpg

How do you feel about pumpkin pie? (That's supposed to be a pumpkin hat on her head.) This is probably my favorite picture of her so far.

Raemani
October 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v158/236/87/782700989/n782700989_367752_8747.jpg

How do you feel about pumpkin pie? (That's supposed to be a pumpkin hat on her head.) This is probably my favorite picture of her so far.

That is a great picture Armando - she is such a little cutie. Having her home for Christmas would be "AWESOME". Are they still talking about moving her to the closer hospital for you guys? I know they were talking about it before she had that little set back.

Hopefully she will at least be at the closer hospital by Thanksgiving, then home for Christmas.

Armando
October 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Well, that's a possibility though we've more or less stopped asking, at least for now. If she keeps doing well, we may bring it up again. Right now I'm mostly looking forward to her outgrowing her apnea and arhythmia episodes, which are occurring with less frequency. Also, we were just informed that we can bring in some clothes for her since, apparently, they're starting to get her ready for getting out of her isolette into the open crib with a warmer. At least, that's what I think they're trying to do.

Oh, and she lost about 2 ounces last night...all in poop! It's amazing that someone so small could evacuate so much, er, stuff. hee-hee

Raemani
October 31st, 2007, 09:14 PM
So since you said it was one of your favorites and it is a great pic....I made little Elena a Halloween present:
The bigger version:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Raemani/banners_avis/ElenaHopeavi.png

The avi version, incase you want to use it as your avatar:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Raemani/banners_avis/ElenaHopeavisize.png

Armando
November 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
Awww geeze! Thanks. :-) You don't know how much I needed that this morning.

Raemani
November 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Awww geeze! Thanks. :-) You don't know how much I needed that this morning.

Glad you liked it.... I am still learning to use my Photomanipulation software, but I had fun making it.

ETA - forgot to say that if you want me to make a collage of Elena and family just send me the pics and I'll see what I can do - I bet just seeing pics while you are at work makes it all worth it - figure you can use it as a desk top on the 'puter.

Armando
November 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks, Kristin. I've got a few pictures up in the office though today I'm mostly at home, so...(no classes to teach today, then a doctor's appointment, then just some time to myself because I frakking need it! It's just one of those "I've reached my breaking point" days. There'll be more of them before Elena comes home, I'm sure).

Cami's mom
November 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I saw an Elena update in another thread and now can't remember which one it was. :( I'll hunt around and see if I can find it again.

Any who, I hope you all are doing well.

Armando
November 13th, 2007, 09:59 PM
So it's been a while and I thought I'd give an update on Elena, since today was a day for good news. After a little setback last weekend (her red blood cells were low, requiring a blood transfusion. Her doctors expect this will be the last she will ever need, as they want her levels to get lower as she reaches her discharge date so her body will begin production on its own) she is now on track to full feeds, starting to breast feed (though she still hasn't gotten the hang of that yet) and was just upgraded to one of the less intensive nurseries in the NICU (actually, one lowest from the ones where babies who are almost ready to go home go). And, while she probably won't come home till Christmas, if all continues to go well with her feeds she should be transferred to the hospital closer to our house, making visits easier and cheaper.

I'll post a picture in the next few days. :D

Solai
November 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/bat__1/commentary/woohoo.gif

dxf
November 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Best wishes. The situation has got to be unimaginable unless you're going through it.

Armando
November 14th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Best wishes. The situation has got to be unimaginable unless you're going through it.

It's gotten surprisingly routine, actually. I would've never thought that would happen. One gets used to having a less than spic and span house, a spouse split in half (well, not literally) and long trips back and forth to the hospital (gas prices don't help here). It's almost hard to remember what life was like before September, actually.

Odd, really.

Topgun
November 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Great news, Armando ! What a special Christmas this will be for you. At least Elena will be closer, which takes some of the strain of travel time away.

Raemani
November 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
So it's been a while and I thought I'd give an update on Elena, since today was a day for good news. After a little setback last weekend (her red blood cells were low, requiring a blood transfusion. Her doctors expect this will be the last she will ever need, as they want her levels to get lower as she reaches her discharge date so her body will begin production on its own) she is now on track to full feeds, starting to breast feed (though she still hasn't gotten the hang of that yet) and was just upgraded to one of the less intensive nurseries in the NICU (actually, one lowest from the ones where babies who are almost ready to go home go). And, while she probably won't come home till Christmas, if all continues to go well with her feeds she should be transferred to the hospital closer to our house, making visits easier and cheaper.

Thanks for the update Armando. Sounds like she is getting stronger every day, even with her little set backs. That is great that she has been upgraded and is eating well.

I am sure it will be great to have her closer to home and I am sure having her home for Christmas will be the best Christmas present ever. I'll keep her in my prayers that she gets home from Christmas.

Can't wait to see the pic.

Gryper
November 15th, 2007, 06:51 AM

It's great to hear that she's doing so well despite small setbacks here and there. I hope she continues to get stronger, sounds like she a right little fighter you've got on your hands. It would be a great Christmas present for your whole family if she's home for her first one. :)

Armando
November 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Well, I should report that things continue to really improve. Her little desats and such are becoming less common (which was supposed to start happening this week, although I really shouldn't be jinxing it) and she has been feeding rather voraciously the last two days. The nurses have even asked my wife to start sticking around for two feedings a day, and so far Elena seems to be figuring it out nicely (unfortunately, the feedings can't be consecutive, which means a little added stress in the Armando household for the next couple of weeks, but what are you gonna do? She needs her mommy juice!).

Now, here's a picture for all of you. It's a bit blurry, but she's wide awake. It looks like she's going to have blue eyes. :-)

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v156/236/87/782700989/n782700989_404980_1590.jpg

Armando
November 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
well, half cylon...

anyway, Elena is doing great these days! She's been taken off the I.V. and pic line completely and should be off the air pressure on her nasal canula tomorrow, with one being placed there just in case she might need extra oxygen. If that works she will be moved out of her isolette and into a regular crib! She's tolerating breast and bottle feeds well, hasn't had any apnea or cardiac events in about 24 hours (with only one in the last 48) and, if all continues to be like this, should be coming closer to home (not home yet, though) very soon.

Here's a little picture for all of you who are still following this story after seven weeks. I call this one, "Elena and the giant pacifier of doom." Not quite Larry the Cylon doing stand up comedy, but she's my Cylon, dang it.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v152/236/87/782700989/n782700989_418678_6433.jpg

Tesseract
November 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
well, half cylon...

Here's a little picture for all of you who are still following this story after seven weeks. I call this one, "Elena and the giant pacifier of doom." Not quite Larry the Cylon doing stand up comedy, but she's my Cylon, dang it.

Awww, cute baby! Congratulations on the latest addition to your family! I hope she's okay, my thoughts and prayers go with Elena and your family :)

LOVE the caption "Elena and the giant pacifier of Doom"

Armando
November 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, we call her our little cylon sometimes. And when I say "we," I mean my friends and I. My wife's not so keen on things like that.

Ahem, anyway...this morning I went to the hospital to give Elena her morning feeding and was surprised to see that her nasal canula was removed. That was certainly a pleasant enough surprise. Well, at 3:00 I was waiting for my oldest daughter to come home from school when my wife called from the hospital (tag team caretaking today) to tell me that Elena will be transferred to the NICU in Utica tomorrow morning. I did not think this day would ever come. The weirdest thing is how strange it feels to be able to see the end of this long road now. Before you know it I'll be making my final update here and telling you all that she's home.

THAT will be a day long remembered.

I, for one, know what I'm thankful for this week. :D

Oh, and thanks, Tesseract.

Audra
November 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Great pictures, Armando! Glad to hear Elena's moving closer to home, and that everything is progressing. She looks so good in the pics! Very sweet and great eyes.

Boxytheboxed
November 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
awwwwwwwwww
that pacifer is like the size of her head lol

Raemani
November 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
well, half cylon...

anyway, Elena is doing great these days! She's been taken off the I.V. and pic line completely and should be off the air pressure on her nasal canula tomorrow, with one being placed there just in case she might need extra oxygen. If that works she will be moved out of her isolette and into a regular crib! She's tolerating breast and bottle feeds well, hasn't had any apnea or cardiac events in about 24 hours (with only one in the last 48) and, if all continues to be like this, should be coming closer to home (not home yet, though) very soon.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v152/236/87/782700989/n782700989_418678_6433.jpg

Yes, we call her our little cylon sometimes. And when I say "we," I mean my friends and I. My wife's not so keen on things like that.

Ahem, anyway...this morning I went to the hospital to give Elena her morning feeding and was surprised to see that her nasal canula was removed. That was certainly a pleasant enough surprise. Well, at 3:00 I was waiting for my oldest daughter to come home from school when my wife called from the hospital (tag team caretaking today) to tell me that Elena will be transferred to the NICU in Utica tomorrow morning. I did not think this day would ever come. The weirdest thing is how strange it feels to be able to see the end of this long road now. Before you know it I'll be making my final update here and telling you all that she's home.

THAT will be a day long remembered.

I, for one, know what I'm thankful for this week. :D

Oh, and thanks, Tesseract.

This is all amazing news Armando. It will make things so much easier now that she will be closer. Looks like she is doing great. Lots to give thanks for this Thanksgiving.

Solai
November 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I suspect we all know what you will be thankful for this year my friend. Happy Thanksgiving.

Armando
November 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I suspect we all know what you will be thankful for this year my friend. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mostly for Larry the Cylon and Razor airing on Saturday. Oh, yeah, and the baby. Let's not forget her.

I can't even kid about this. I am on cloud nine...figuratively. That phrase has another meaning entirely around here, doesn't it?

Dang it! I'm just really, really super happy. :D

Armando
November 30th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hey everyone, this is the final Elena update. As of half an hour ago (5:00 p.m. EST) she is home. It has been a long road that for a while didn't look like it would end, but all of a sudden, the end just sort of showed up suddenly. So, to all of you who have been so supportive these last eight weeks (yikes, has it been that long!?!?!), thank you! May the Lords of Kobol and the Cylon God bless you and keep you.

Here is one last picture for all of you. It's from last week, but she still looks the same. :D See you on the boards!

http://photos-989.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v152/236/87/782700989/n782700989_430414_3516.jpg

Pike
November 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, "Awwwwwwww!"

Splatterson
November 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Congrats Armando! She's one beautiful little girl!

The Fair Melissa
November 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
What a wonderful holiday present for you and your family! Now you can get some rest.... oh wait. Nevermind. :D

Topgun
November 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Wow Armando, that post was a wonderful surprise !! Congratulations !! And she looks like such a cutie in the newest picture. I'm very happy for you and your family.

Nickname Boomer
December 1st, 2007, 12:12 AM
May your life and hers be blessed.

My continued prayers to all your family

May you all walk in god’s light

(Sorry if I got all religious/preachy I try to not do it often)

dxf
December 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
So say we all. Hang in there.

ATGreat
December 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, "Awwwwwwww!"

Pike does not speak for me!
I say for myself -
"Awwwwwwww!"
:)

I'm glad to see she is home and doing well!

Raemani
December 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Weird I thought I replied to this the other day. I am so excited she is home. I am sure it takes a lot of the stress out of having to travel to the hospital.

It will definately be a Very Merry Christmas in the Armando house hold.

I am sure one of these days I will get to meet you (and hopefully the wife and little ones too)

Armando
December 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Weird I thought I replied to this the other day. I am so excited she is home. I am sure it takes a lot of the stress out of having to travel to the hospital.

It will definately be a Very Merry Christmas in the Armando house hold.

I am sure one of these days I will get to meet you (and hopefully the wife and little ones too)

A DC-region meet-up needs to happen around the start (okay, at least before the end of the first half) of season four.

Boxytheboxed
December 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
KREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
happy to hear it
good health to her

Armando
February 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM
It's been a while since Elena came home from the hospital, making this folder largely obsolete, but I wanted to share this picture, taken this morning, with all of you:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/236/87/782700989/n782700989_587870_4225.jpg

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
It's been a while since Elena came home from the hospital, making this folder largely obsolete, but I wanted to share this picture, taken this morning, with all of you:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/236/87/782700989/n782700989_587870_4225.jpg
YES !!! Now that's a happy baby !! So glad for you and yours, Armando. Continued best wishes. What a great picture ! :D Very very cute !!

Solai
February 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
Armando...she is a doll. I am very happy for you and your family. Let the good times roll!

Splatterson
February 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM

You know, Armando, she's not just your daughter, she's "our" daughter now! You're going to be required to keep us all updated on your beautiful little girl! :)

Armando
February 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
You know, Armando, she's not just your daughter, she's "our" daughter now! You're going to be required to keep us all updated on your beautiful little girl! :)

Will do.

:D

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
She'll be driving in 16 years, you know. :D

dxf
February 2nd, 2008, 03:28 AM
Hope she's always that happy. Glad to hear she's doing well.

Cheers,

dxf

frakkintalos
February 2nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
She's adorable!! I second spatterson65. We'll require all progress reports and checkups. Too bad we can't all be there for midnight feedings.

Raemani
February 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM

Armando, she is absolutely adorable. It is good to hear she is doing so well. And of course we want you to keep us updated.

Glimfeather
February 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
My goodness, that's one cute baby. I bet she'd look even cuter in an "I Like Alpacas" onesie. (hint, hint, Big Three)

Armando
February 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Mind you, most of the time she looks like this:

http://photos-989.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v194/236/87/782700989/n782700989_584526_9424.jpg

She likes to keep her parents on their toes. :-)

Of course, other times, particularly when looking at her weird geek of a father, she looks like this:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/236/87/782700989/n782700989_587874_5875.jpg

Audra
February 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
What a beautiful little girl!! (I'll mention the onesie to the guys, Glimfeather) :)

Armando
April 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
So I thought it was time for an update, since Elena is GWC's daughter as well. So, here are some pictures of the little hybrid:

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/236/87/782700989/n782700989_780051_6697.jpg

Here she is, trying algae cereal for the first time. I think she likes it:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/236/87/782700989/n782700989_780058_3406.jpg

What the heck, one more. I love this one almost as much as the first one. Almost...

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/236/87/782700989/n782700989_780050_6297.jpg

As you can see, she's grown quite a bit since her rather sudden and early birth. She's still small for her age, but I think that will always be the case. Small and mighty is what we like to say she is.

Topgun
April 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM
So I thought it was time for an update, since Elena is GWC's daughter as well. So, here are some pictures of the little hybrid:

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/236/87/782700989/n782700989_780051

Here she is, trying algae cereal for the first time. I think she likes it:

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/236/87/782700989/n782700989_780058

What the heck, one more. I love this one almost as much as the first one. Almost...

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/236/87/782700989/n782700989_780050
Don't know if it's just me but I can't see the pics, my friend.

Armando
April 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Don't know if it's just me but I can't see the pics, my friend.

Look again, Topgun. I was missing a bit of code but now it's fixed.

Starbutt
April 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
She is beautiful :) I have the feeling she already has you wrapped around her little finger.

frakkintalos
April 18th, 2008, 11:42 PM
As you can see, she's grown quite a bit since her rather sudden and early birth. She's still small for her age, but I think that will always be the case. Small and mighty is what we like to say she is.

So say we all.

She's beautiful, Armando and so precious. I miss those days when my two daughters were wittle. I'm getting very verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. Resurrected Starbuck is neither resurrected nor Starbuck. Discuss.

Topgun
April 18th, 2008, 11:50 PM
That is awesome ! My brother in law just had a baby 2 wks ago (well, his wife did the heavy lifting), and I was thinking about Elena and her progress ! She looks great ! Does she sleep through the night yet? What does she think of the whole 'Cavil' thing? Seriously, congrats and keep up the good work, she'll be bugging you for the ATM card in no time ! She's beautiful, man.
And I see from the refrigerator that you are QUITE the artist, A !

Apollymy
April 19th, 2008, 04:45 AM
She's beautiful! And though I know I wasn't around for the beginning of this, I understand what you went through. My cousin had the exact same circumstances. Her daughter was born unexpectedly in Sept, but not due til Dec. It's a long, hard haul, but those miracle babies are all the more precious for it. I'm so happy that she's doing so well.

And when she's 11 and her mouth won't quit... she'll still be your precious little one, won't she? :D

dxf
April 19th, 2008, 11:35 AM
"Algae cereal"! Funny. That look on their face with the first solid food is always priceless. Glad to hear things are going well. Hang in there.

Armando
April 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
That is awesome ! My brother in law just had a baby 2 wks ago (well, his wife did the heavy lifting), and I was thinking about Elena and her progress ! She looks great ! Does she sleep through the night yet? What does she think of the whole 'Cavil' thing? Seriously, congrats and keep up the good work, she'll be bugging you for the ATM card in no time ! She's beautiful, man.
And I see from the refrigerator that you are QUITE the artist, A !

You like that piece? I call it "Reflections of a Cruel World--Panel 1." It's part of a 700 panel series depicting the rise and fall of humanity from the point of view of one Brother Cavil. It can be yours for $7,000. Call now!

(That would be the big sister's artwork, mind you.)

You know, Elena doesn't know quite what to make of Brother Cavil. She was going along with him for a while then she saw him kiss Boomer last night and started crying. I had to play her old episodes of Quantum Leap to calm her down. ;)

She does tend to sleep through the night, although she spent a few days the last couple of weeks where she hasn't. Don't know why. As for the ATM: good luck with that. She's going to find it surprisingly empty. And if I don't find a new job soon, or get renewed at my current one, that empty ATM is going to come sooner than she thinks. Ugh.

Armando
April 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
She's beautiful! And though I know I wasn't around for the beginning of this, I understand what you went through. My cousin had the exact same circumstances. Her daughter was born unexpectedly in Sept, but not due til Dec. It's a long, hard haul, but those miracle babies are all the more precious for it. I'm so happy that she's doing so well.

And when she's 11 and her mouth won't quit... she'll still be your precious little one, won't she? :D

11? Her sister is 6 and hasn't shut up since she learned how to talk 4 1/2 years ago.

Tesseract
April 20th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Man, that's one cute baby :)

I'm glad she's doing so well, Armando!!

Armando
May 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Well, this note is not about Elena. It's about me. I'm not much of a believer in prayer these days, but I could really use some, I think, and you guys, though I've never really met a single one of you, have been a source of support and friendship before and I could really use that again.

THe job I was waiting to hear from on Friday, which I was hoping to God would break the cycle of not being hired despite having a "very impressive" resume, did not come through. There's a small glimmer of hope in that the department I was interviewing for liked me and the candidate being offered the job about the same, so they're looking for money to be able to hire us both full time. It seems rather unlikely to me, however, and my options are more or less dried up and time is running out. We must move out of our school-owned house by early July, as my last paycheck comes on June 30. I have a number of other resumes out there, but the slowness of academia means that, if I get noticed, I won't be until at least mid-June at the earliest. Time's up.

I don't know what to do.

Tesseract
May 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Armando.

Hang in there -
*hugs*

Starbuccaneer
May 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family, Armando. This is a tough, unfun situation, but you will make it through!

dxf
May 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
So say we all. Hang in there.

Armando
May 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks, guys. :)

Glimfeather
May 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Thoughts and prayers at your service, sir. I'm at the beginning of a desperate job hunt myself. Hope you find success.

Lucky
May 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Stay positive, keep your head up, and don’t give up. Speaking from experience, if you can do that and stay focused, things will work out.

Lady D
May 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Stay positive, keep your head up, and don’t give up. Speaking from experience, if you can do that and stay focused, things will work out.
so say we all. you and yours are in my thoughts

Armando
May 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Again, thanks. It's difficult to stay motivated after getting passed over six or seven times so far this year. I recently went back and looked at my reference file and noticed that, since 2000, I have applied to at least 263 jobs. At least 263 which required reference letters be sent in advance. Of those, I landed 1.

1:263. Those are some crappy odds.

DawnAZ
May 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Just saw this thread. Armando I know this is difficult (my hubbie went through two job losses in two years in 2004/early 2006) but I feel really honored that you asked our GWC group for prayers. This place is so much more than a geek hangout. It's really a place for friends to hang out. Hang in there friend, I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.