PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Izzard

Solai
September 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I am not trying to convert everyone to Eddie Izzard, I promise. This is just something I think about everytime Chuck says "Awesome."

CodeAndrew
September 30th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Thats a great vid. I would kinda agree with him but its so into pop culture now that the word is screwed.

Number 13
September 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Well, to say another popular word with Chuck, "exacTly". lol

ATGreat
September 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
This is Awesome. I have to to a lesson plan on the solar system, and I think I'll be stealing some jokes about how awesome the universe is.
Solai, you number one guy!

Pike
October 1st, 2007, 12:20 AM
OK, I'm pushing to get Chuck to say, "It's the dog's bollocks."

Chuck
October 1st, 2007, 01:03 AM
This reminds me of my favorite scene in Leap of Faith, where Jonas' crew takes up a collection and bets him that he can't work some unrelated word into his sermon. I "reference" this a lot by interjecting "aluminum siding" into many conversations, though most people don't get it. (I can't imagine why...)

Solai
October 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM
Ok...offficial "fun with Multi-quote" starts now!

Thats a great vid. I would kinda agree with him but its so into pop culture now that the word is screwed.

True, however it is good to note the word's origin, especially in a humorous ironic way. Nothing makes me laugh louder than the line, "It is awesome sir." "What, like a hot dog?" "Like a billion hot dogs sir."

Well, to say another popular word with Chuck, "exacTly". lol

I have to admit, my ear isn't sensitive to this. Perhaps I am also guilty of this...

This is Awesome. I have to to a lesson plan on the solar system, and I think I'll be stealing some jokes about how awesome the universe is.

So, you will love me long time?

OK, I'm pushing to get Chuck to say, "It's the dog's bollocks."

Seconded.

This reminds me of my favorite scene in Leap of Faith, where Jonas' crew takes up a collection and bets him that he can't work some unrelated word into his sermon. I "reference" this a lot by interjecting "aluminum siding" into many conversations, though most people don't get it. (I can't imagine why...)

Ok...we so need a clip of this. (I can't search Youtube at work...damn financial sensitive security clamped down networks)

ATGreat
October 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by ATGreat

So, you will love me long time?

I think we should just be friends...

Solai
October 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM
I think we should just be friends...

Ok. You get me the Kung-Po chicken and we can call it even.

frakkintalos
October 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Eddie Izzard does Star Trek:
(lower the volume for the first few seconds)

fbOC0uoKYtU

"Last one down to the energizing room is a wanker!"

GalaxyRanger
March 1st, 2008, 03:24 AM
So Topgun pointed me in the direction of Jeff Vader and love this little clip

"Death by tray"

:D

muaAZE0M3LU

frakkintalos
March 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
Death by laughter! I am struggling for air here!! That was hilarious. 'This ones wet. And this one. And this one. What did you dry these in a rain forest?' Then Jar-Jar shows up.

Reminds of the bit in 'Blue Harvest', when Stewie Vader makes his entrance. "Oh what a mess! Should we clean it up, you know Darth Vader is coming? No, he won't mind."

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj125/frakkintalos/blueharvest.png

Armando
March 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM
I can't believe someone made a lego video of that routine. Awesome!

Speaking of "his brother," I think these are priceless:

http://www.blamesociety.net/chadvader/index.php

Apollymy
April 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
"Captain, this entire planet is made of widdley wee!"

Apollymy
April 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
So, apparently, I'm not the only one around here who enjoys the comedy stylings of one Edward John Izzard. So share with me your stories of Eddie love. What is your favorite sketch? What do you like about him? How were you introduced to him? Are you also a fan of Eddie as Actor?

My best friend was stationed in the UK with the US Air Force about the time that "Dress to Kill" came out. He brought it home with him on leave and told me I needed to watch it. (He also got me to start watching BSG, just so's ya know)
I've been hooked ever since. I love the intelligence behind his humor. Somebody out there who finally understood that funny goes beyond fart jokes and racial slurs. And, I've definitely grown to appreciate Eddie as an actor, and not just a comedian. Some of his roles have definitely been craaaaaaap, but some have impressed the hell out of me.

Magnus
April 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Cake or Death?

Keara
April 18th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I love love LOVE his stand-up! Dress to Kill is one of my favorite DVDs. As far as his acting goes, it's not bad and I think he disappears into his characters rather than the characters being another version of his stand-up comic persona. My favorite sketch is the Ciao! sketch.

Nickname Boomer
April 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
i'm indifferent to him, so Baltar it is :)

Armando
April 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I lost my Izzard virginity, as it were, with "Dress to Kill" as well, when it aired on HBO in 1997 or so. No one knew who Eddie Izzard was around here and the promos for it look horrid to me, so I didn't expect it to be any good. I caught it and was laughing hysterically the whole two hours.

AND, I was proud that I could understand the entire last portion of it in French, since I'd just taken a year of French as part of my doctoral course work (so this must have been 1999 then, not '97).

Favorite sketch? Hmm...I don't know. I need to revisit the few videos I own, but the whole history of religion bit in "Dress to Kill" gets me.

"Building a henge, are we? Oh, lovely. What was that? Need help moving it? Not far, you say? Oh, sure, Sure!"

"Bloody hell, how far is this place? I don't even know where I live anymore! I wish the Christians would hurry up and get here!"

There's always the Emperor Fabulous as well. And Jesus and his father, Chaos, and his mom, Galadriel.

His acting doesn't always do it for me, though mostly because, until The Riches, his roles in film and American TV haven't been terribly juicy. He's not bad in The Riches, though I haven't caught that show as often as I'd like, I'm afraid.

Topgun
April 21st, 2008, 12:41 AM
Set phasers for Poor Eyesight !
That was good for several laughs out loud. :)

Topgun
April 22nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
I had never even heard of him until I began posting on GWC...the fine folks here made sure to spread his name liberally, along with a few choice you tube embeds...and the guy is just a complete scream. The BBC channel on DirectTV has been replaying a few of his standup shows recently, so I've been seeing lots of him. And he's one of those rare comedians who has such a command of the physical aspect of standup...he can make me laugh out loud with a simple look or turn of his head. A real talent, very very funny, and very smart to boot.

Apollymy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Cake or Death?

Um, death, please...CAKE! Cake! I meant cake!

I lost my Izzard virginity, as it were, with "Dress to Kill" as well, when it aired on HBO in 1997 or so. No one knew who Eddie Izzard was around here and the promos for it look horrid to me, so I didn't expect it to be any good. I caught it and was laughing hysterically the whole two hours.

AND, I was proud that I could understand the entire last portion of it in French, since I'd just taken a year of French as part of my doctoral course work (so this must have been 1999 then, not '97).

Favorite sketch? Hmm...I don't know. I need to revisit the few videos I own, but the whole history of religion bit in "Dress to Kill" gets me.

"Building a henge, are we? Oh, lovely. What was that? Need help moving it? Not far, you say? Oh, sure, Sure!"

"Bloody hell, how far is this place? I don't even know where I live anymore! I wish the Christians would hurry up and get here!"

There's always the Emperor Fabulous as well. And Jesus and his father, Chaos, and his mom, Galadriel.

His acting doesn't always do it for me, though mostly because, until The Riches, his roles in film and American TV haven't been terribly juicy. He's not bad in The Riches, though I haven't caught that show as often as I'd like, I'm afraid.

I've seen a bit of the stuff he did for BBC as well as his Hollywood movies, and I'll tell ya, the dramatic roles suit him much better. He did a miniseries for BBC called 40 that was amazing. And The Riches is wonderful, as well. The comedic roles he's had (like Roman Nagel in Ocean's 12 and Tony P in Mystery Men) have been a bit one-dimensional and meh. I did like him as Lussurioso in Revenger's Tragedy, which also stars Christopher Eccleston and was fabulous. But then, I tend to have a taste for the bizzare and obscure at times... And that was also a British movie. (Oh, and The Riches is available streaming on hulu (http://www.hulu.com/the-riches). 'Tis how I watch it since I don't have cable.)

I had never even heard of him until I began posting on GWC...the fine folks here made sure to spread his name liberally, along with a few choice you tube imbeds...and the guy is just a complete scream. The BBC channel on DirectTV has been replaying a few of his standup shows recently, so I've been seeing lots of him. And he's one of those rare comedians who has such a command of the physicl aspect of standup...he can make me laugh out loud with a simple look or turn of his head. A real talent, very very funny, and very smart to boot.

I know! I love how he moves around to portray both sides of a conversation. My best friend makes me crack up all the time doing the confirm and deny thing that he does in Dress to Kill. And the look on his face when he says "I wiped the internet?!? I don't even have a modem!" gets me every time.

And the smart and funny is definitely a big plus for me. :D

GalaxyRanger
April 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
Um, death, please...CAKE! Cake! I meant cake!

Death by tray ! :D (http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=1195&highlight=death+tray)

Apollymy
April 22nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
Death by tray ! :D (http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?t=1195&highlight=death+tray)

Exactly! That's Eddie!

Solai
April 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
I love Eddie Izzard. He is one of the only comedians that makes me roar with laughter...on any subject. Take for example...what it must be like to be a beekeeper...

Xs-tl6GBOBo

Topgun
April 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
I love Eddie Izzard. He is one of the only comedians that makes me roar with laughter...on any subject. Take for example...what it must be like to be a beekeeper...

Xs-tl6GBOBo

OMG, scroll through the other ones and watch "Encore on Computers"... I've got tears in my eyes..holy craaaap.

Solai
April 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
OMG, scroll through the other ones and watch "Encore on Computers"... I've got tears in my eyes..holy craaaap.

Here it is...a classic!:

k6C_HjWr3Nk

GalaxyRanger
April 22nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Jolly good!

You guys would so love

"The IT Crowd" - if you don't already know it.

ZrOmTrXmi-I&feature=related

6nGjxO_Bfac

bkitty
April 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
So Topgun pointed me in the direction of Jeff Vader and love this little clip

"Death by tray"

:D

That was AWESOME! Was that Eddie Izzard?

GalaxyRanger
April 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM

That was Darth Vader.

Steve
April 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be a recipe. :(

Aset
April 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM

oooo! A recipe section! That would be fun! That is, if people contributed to it.

Topgun
April 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Yes ! I think Solai posted this waaay back last year when the forum first opened up..it was one of my first Izzard experiences, and of course, he had me at hello.

GalaxyRanger
April 22nd, 2008, 03:22 PM
oooo! A recipe section! That would be fun! That is, if people contributed to it.

You should start a thread in the "Geek Hobbies" section.

Pike
April 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM

Great idea!

Algaemole
Algae Lime Pie
Kool-Algae
Indian Pale Algae
Schwartzwilderalgaetorte

missmuffet
April 22nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
OMG I absolutely LOVE Eddie Izzard. I'm mostly a fan of his standup but I think he does a pretty good job as an actor too - especially in The Riches.

It's so cool my friends and I (including new GWC member GothicJossMinion) are going to see him live i Austin, TX on June 6th of this year. So frakking excited.

"Everyone lies! When we're kids, we lie our heads off! "I didn't do it! I didn't do it! I was dead at the time! I was on the moon...with Steve." And your dad's going, "I haven't even accused you of anything yet!" "Well then what is it? What is it? What? What?" "Did you brush your teeth?" "No! Yes! What's the correct answer? I was dead at the time!"

GalaxyRanger
April 22nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Schwartzwilderalgaetorte

I'm not even trying to imagine that.

Keara
April 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think my next username will be Jeff Vader. :p

God, I love Izzard...he is so funny. That reminds me, I have GOT to get my Dressed to Kill DVD back from my best friend.

GothicJossMinion
April 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Yes Miss Muffet stole my thunder...I'm so frakking excited about seeing Eddie LIVE....The Dallas show sold out so fast that even members of the fanclub like didn't get tickets. And thus the road trip to Austin. But I'll gladly drive 3 hours to see the most HI-larious man on Earth.

I enjoyed his performance in The Cat's Meow as Charlie Chaplin.

Fav Eddie pantomime:

PLBBBT:p...Did you just throw a sword at me?...Yes, I didn't mean to. I meants to go "PahTWANG!!!" but I went "PLBBBTT" which is the sword noise. Just go with it.

Cake please!

Apollymy
April 23rd, 2008, 01:20 AM
OMG I absolutely LOVE Eddie Izzard. I'm mostly a fan of his standup but I think he does a pretty good job as an actor too - especially in The Riches.

It's so cool my friends and I (including new GWC member GothicJossMinion) are going to see him live i Austin, TX on June 6th of this year. So frakking excited.

Yes Miss Muffet stole my thunder...I'm so frakking excited about seeing Eddie LIVE....The Dallas show sold out so fast that even members of the fanclub like didn't get tickets. And thus the road trip to Austin. But I'll gladly drive 3 hours to see the most HI-larious man on Earth.

I enjoyed his performance in The Cat's Meow as Charlie Chaplin.

Fav Eddie pantomime:

PLBBBT:p...Did you just throw a sword at me?...Yes, I didn't mean to. I meants to go "PahTWANG!!!" but I went "PLBBBTT" which is the sword noise. Just go with it.

Cake please!

::squee!:: I'm going to see him live in Columbus, OH on May 13th! I'm driving over 2 hrs, but that's the closest he was coming to Cleveland. And I'm glad to do it! Before this, the closest he'd come was Montreal, or NYC, which are both 7 hrs away. And I so can't pick just one favorite, but I love his whole Hitler bit, too. I think mostly I just love how his stand up is so conversational and free form. And so gorram smart!

GothicJossMinion
April 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM
I love most of his bits, I love when he messes up a pantomime then his genius really shows b/c you know he's just winging it and its still hilarious.

I'm also a big fan of his Deathstar safeteria/Darth-Steve Vader bit he does in Circle when its in French.

GothicJossMinion
April 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Fine but then I call Steve Vader.

:p

I love the Eddie. I've only seen this bit in french though, I heard he had doen en English bit too.

Audra
May 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
Pike - Indian Pale Algae! Lol!

ThotFullGuy
May 1st, 2008, 01:22 AM
Pike - Indian Pale Algae! Lol!

Hey, how did the Strawberry Algae Margaritas get left out? Doesn't everyone know that's the official drink of Season 4?
http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showpost.php?p=23356&postcount=1

BadgerSpoon
May 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Eddie Izzard was mentioned. 'Nuff said. :)

Magnus
May 27th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I'll have some death please.... no, no, I mean cake.

Keara
May 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM
You know me, when one of the options is cake, I'll pretty much always take cake. Unless...one of the options is paaaah! I lurve paaah, especially warm apple paahh with vanilla ice cream!

Solai
May 27th, 2008, 08:43 AM
You know me, when one of the options is cake, I'll pretty much always take cake. Unless...one of the options is paaaah! I lurve paaah, especially warm apple paahh with vanilla ice cream!

Paaah always wins. Unless they run out of paaah and cake, then the option is, "...or death"

Pike
May 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Paaah always wins. Unless they run out of paaah and cake, then the option is, "...or death"

So it goes

Paaah
Cake
Death
Cookies

Solai
May 27th, 2008, 08:57 AM
So it goes

Paaah
Cake
Death
Cookies
Slight amendment

Paaah
Cake
Death
Cookies
To the cleaners

Apollymy
May 27th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Well, so my choice is 'or death’? I’ll have the chicken then, please. :p

http://pics.livejournal.com/rachel1975/pic/0008bh3h

BadgerSpoon
May 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
We're going to run out of cake at this rate. Good thing we have an unlimited supply of Baltar. :)

RaptorMXS
June 2nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
Thank you for flying Church of England. Cake or Death?

Glimfeather
June 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
fourth option: More Eddie Izzard Legos
rZVjKlBCvhg

GothicJossMinion
June 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
I'm sooo fraking excited...I'm going to see Eddie Izzard on Friday in Austin TX with Miss Muffet. EEEEEEE!!!!

TEA & CAKE or DEATH! LITTLE RED COOK BOOK LITTLE RED COOKBOOK!

GalaxyRanger
June 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm sooo fraking excited...I'm going to see Eddie Izzard on Friday in Austin TX with Miss Muffet. EEEEEEE!!!!

What a date!

Apollymy
June 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM

You have to let me know what you thought! I saw him in Columbus on May 13, and it was FABULOUS! (And he looked quite teh sexie, too! In boy mode, but hey, he looks good no matter what the mode, IMHO!)

BadgerSpoon
June 3rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
fourth option: More Eddie Izzard Legos
rZVjKlBCvhg

Nooooo! It's already gone! :( Which skit was it?

edit: And now it's back. YouTube is a fickle master. :)

So jealous! :)

Keara
June 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
So jealous! :)

Well, we DID talk about going...if only we had gotten our acts together.

GalaxyRanger
June 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM

Your FRAKKING acts!

Aset
June 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I did not know he was still touring! I shall have to see if he's coming here!

Keara
June 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Your FRAKKING acts!

Quite right. Sorry. "FRAKKING acts."

BadgerSpoon
June 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM

Unfortunately, all we ever did was talk about it. :(

Nickname Boomer
June 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Okay i voted death because i'm not sure what this poll is about yet i'm drawn to answer it it's not baltar cause thats to obvious, and its not Cake cause cake is tricky, so its death.

BadgerSpoon
June 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Okay i voted death because i'm not sure what this poll is about yet i'm drawn to answer it it's not baltar cause thats to obvious, and its not Cake cause cake is tricky, so its death.

It's from a bit by comedian Eddie Izzard, acted out with Legos here (http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showpost.php?p=40715&postcount=10).

Nickname Boomer
June 3rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
It's from a bit by comedian Eddie Izzard, acted out with Legos here (http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showpost.php?p=40715&postcount=10).

funny skit but i still choose Death you can never trust cake. especially if there icing involved

BadgerSpoon
June 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
funny skit but i still choose Death you can never trust cake. especially if there icing involved

You have my sincerest apologies. I did not know that cake had wronged you in the past. I hope you enjoy your death. :rolleyes:

timmers
June 12th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Your worried about trusting cake when Baltar is up as an option (he's the option IMO obviously).

LOL

missmuffet
June 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I picked Baltar.

Oh and GJM and I did go and see Eddie in Austin and he was fantabulous. I think this standup was my favorite one since Dressed to Kill. And he was looking very sexy in his jeans, cowboy boots, shirt, and coattails. No makeup, which was odd.

timmers
June 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I picked Baltar.

Oh and GJM and I did go and see Eddie in Austin and he was fantabulous. I think this standup was my favorite one since Dressed to Kill. And he was looking very sexy in his jeans, cowboy boots, shirt, and coattails. No makeup, which was odd.

I think I already mentioned on the forum somewhere about Eddie Izzard and Episode 1 Obi-wan.

missmuffet
June 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I think I already mentioned on the forum somewhere about Eddie Izzard and Episode 1 Obi-wan.

Ewan McGregor?

timmers
June 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Ewan McGregor?

Ewan MacGregor trying to do a proto-Alec Guiness - sounds more like Eddie Izzard if you ask me.

BadgerSpoon
June 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM

It is Texas, after all. Maybe he thought they might kill him with sticks. :rolleyes:

Apollymy
June 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM
It is Texas, after all. Maybe he thought they might kill him with sticks. :rolleyes:

He didn't wear make-up in Columbus, either. The program said he's been in boy-mode lately since he's been doing more serious acting gigs. *shrug* Don't matter none to me, I think he looks good either way.

Solai
September 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Sweet hopscotching jampants...Eddie Izzard has an autobiographical movie coming out:

Believe (http://www.eddieizzardbelieve.com/)

Apollymy
September 30th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Sweet hopscotching jampants...Eddie Izzard has an autobiographical movie coming out:

Believe (http://www.eddieizzardbelieve.com/)

*whimper* The trailer looks fantastic! I can't wait!

Mr. Lister, Sir
September 30th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Wow that looks amazing