PDA

View Full Version : "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" Rewatch

dxf
October 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM
DVD restores a few snippets that have been trimmed from the version the network airs:

1) A hysterically laughing Snoopy stumbles across Lucy's path; irritated, she picks him up and throws him out of the way.

2) The trick-or-treating sequence runs longer: The kids visit a few houses, and Charlie Brown gets rocks every time. Makes the gag funnier.

3) I think Lucy might say "my stupid brother" a couple more times, too. Not sure on that one.

The music's more subtle than the Xmas special, but Vince Guaraldi's "Great Pumpkin Waltz" and a couple other tunes are just as good. Very atmospheric. The "Charlie Brown's Holiday Hits" CD has a couple Christmas selections, plus cuts from the other holiday specials, and the stage play.

Charlie Brown Xmas-Halloween-Thanksgiving are as solid as any other trilogy out there. Like Planet of the Apes, it's downhill after #3....

Is Charlie Brown's depression really warranted? On one hand, he doesn't have much to really be sad about. On the other hand, he has a legit anti-charisma to him. People really don't like the the poor kid.

Need a sci-fi/GWC angle? Is Snoopy genetically engineered? Some kind of super dog? And remember where the Browns got him from: The Daisy Hill Puppy FARM. THE FARM.

gwensdad2003
October 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
The Daisy Hill Puppy FARM. THE FARM.

Cylondog-Daggett crossbreeds! NOOO!!!!!

I now have this image of Moffett (original Galactica) and a beagle looking at each other when suddenly Barry White music starts up...

dxf
October 29th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Great Pumpkin airs Tuesday the 30, 8 p.m., CBS. Do we need some sample questions for discussion?