PDA

View Full Version : I need some genuine advice

Nickname Boomer
October 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
This is an odd request and I’m sorry, to bring it up here, but I would like some advice from broad range of people

I’m a proud Canadian, I believe I live in the single greatest country in this world, As I’m sure many do about there own country. But my question is, how can you best serve your country. Me I’ve spent my life protected by my country, and feel the need even if it is a little late to be in its service, so for those who have served in the militarily or otherwise in one way or another. How to best serve your country.

In Canada or elsewhere, I could use your advice

Audra
October 19th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Wow, that's a question almost as difficult to answer as "What is the meaning of life?" (Too bad we can't just say 42.)

I think it depends first on what you feel most strongly about - what moves you the most as a person. Joining the military is one way some people serve their country, but I think there are many ways you can do so. You could start in your community - volunteer your time or become active in supporting a cause that's meaningful to you. It might be teaching adults to read or working with English as a Second Language students, delivering food to the elderly, volunteering to read to or visit with the young, the old, or the infirm, donating to a pet shelter, helping people register to vote, driving folks to the polls who can't drive themselves, working at a shelter or soup kitchen, offering your expertise in an area to help people who can't afford expert advice...

I think anything you do to help others in your community ultimately helps your country. I've never served in the military, but I believe that we can all do something to give back.

Boxytheboxed
October 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Marines
Semper Fi

ATGreat
October 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Some paying jobs: Fireman, Ambulance worker, Public School Teacher, Social Worker.
Some non-paying jobs: Special Olymics volunteer, Poll worker, Senior center volunteer.

First, do you want something that is a paying job or volunteer work? Are you willing to get more schooling and training to get certified, or just be a helpful amature?

The Alpaca Herder
October 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM
This is an odd request and I’m sorry, to bring it up here, but I would like some advice from broad range of people

I’m a proud Canadian, I believe I live in the single greatest country in this world, As I’m sure many do about there own country. But my question is, how can you best serve your country. Me I’ve spent my life protected by my country, and feel the need even if it is a little late to be in its service, so for those who have served in the militarily or otherwise in one way or another. How to best serve your country.

Equipping future generations through teaching (whether academic or vocational) is an unarmed way to serve.

Armando
October 19th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Equipping future generations through teaching (whether academic or vocational) is an unarmed way to serve.

I'd have to concur. Or perhaps some sort of volunteer work. Maybe it's different in the Canadian military, but these days my notions of serving my country, the U.S.A., do not involve the military simply because I do not agree with what our military is being used for these days.

Still, it is a noble sacrifice and if you feel it is your calling, more power to you. If it is simply a need to serve you feel, though, I think there are more ways to serve than just being in the military. You could help out at a soup kitchen or take part in other homeless/poor relief work; volunteer at a school or as a firefighter; read to the blind; sing/play an instrument to the elderly and/or shut ins. Study for a career in medicine (especially nursing. We need more nurses!).

Here's one I'm a little biased towards: support a local arts organization through donations, fund raising help or volunteer work.

Tough question, though.

Aviendha26
October 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I've never served in the military...however my grandfathers (both) served in WWII, my father received the silver star in Vietnam and my husband was active duty for 12 years and served in the Gulf. The military has always been a large part of my life. I grew up hearing stories from my father and grandfathers (one of whom insisted we call him "Chief rather than grandpa)...not all of them were pretty...but I believe most were true. My father has been diagnosed with PTSD from his time in Vietnam. He's been out of the military for 40 years...and he still remembers his experiences like they were yesterday.

As I got older I realized that the military was not in the cards for me. However, it was important for me to serve in some way. I chose to pursue a job within our government. My first job within this agency was pretty "entry level"...however after a while I have managed to move into a position where I directly contribute to cases that effect our national security. I'll never make as much as I could doing the same type of work on the "outside"...but I'm proud to be where I am...contributing in a way that matters.

The whole point of this is that while the military is a very proud and honorable way to serve your country...it is not the only way.

Nickname Boomer
October 20th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I know there are many ways to serve, I volunteer regularly, I’ve organized charity auctions for various causes, and I was raised to make sure you contribute to your community, but people are dying for me, for this country. And it doesn’t nearly seem enough.

Forget it, I’ll just figure it out myself but thank you all for your advice.

Melissa in NY
October 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
This one is personally difficult for me because my husband is currently deployed to Iraq. He joined feeling he was serving his country but now has become disenfrancized (sp?) and feels that's not really what he is doing. But he still chooses to do his job because he is a medic and he feels it is his job to keep his brothers safe and ok in the event of something bad happening. So he feels he is serving his country in regard to his specifc job but not being in the military as a whole.
As for myself, I am a stay at home mom so I choose to use my "free" time volunteering. I serve as a big sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters, I volunteer with the American Heart Association helping inform women that heart disease is the #1 killer of women, and I use my degree in public relations to assist a local animal shelter that can't afford the services on their own.
You don't need to necessarily think huge, little things can make a big difference to people.