PDA

View Full Version : Craaaaaaaaaaaaap Origin Story

Solai
September 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
I will throw myself on this grenade...I was going to call this question in, but I'll pose it here.

Where the frak did Craaaaaaaaaaaaap come from? I have listened from episode 1 and I don't recall how this started...was it something you guys brought to the podcast from a prior event? Is it a reference to a movie? Is it...(uh oh) actually a reference to a line in BSG?

To tell you the truth, whenever you say it I am reminded of the bug guy from MIB. I wouldn't put a quarter on it, but it sounds right.

So...let's have it. I am confident enough to ask...where does Craaaaaaaaaaaaap come from? (and no, you can't answer: "Your pooper")

Sean
September 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Solai from CT that was writes,

Dear Casey,

I will throw myself on this grenade...I was going to call this question in, but I'll pose it here.

Where the frak did Craaaaaaaaaaaaap come from? I have listened from episode 1 and I don't recall how this started...was it something you guys brought to the podcast from a prior event? Is it a reference to a movie? Is it...(uh oh) actually a reference to a line in BSG?

To tell you the truth, whenever you say it I am reminded of the bug guy from MIB. I wouldn't put a quarter on it, but it sounds right.

So...let's have it. I am confident enough to ask...where does Craaaaaaaaaaaaap come from? (and no, you can't answer: "Your pooper")

Well Solai here's your long distance dedication.

Back in the first two or three podcasts we were reviewing the webisodes as they came out each week in prep. for season 3.

In one of these webisodes Saul was organizing the resistance on New Caprica meeting with the Chief or somebody (I can't remember). He was telling them to convince one of the members of the resistance to do a mission for them and Saul said to “make up some poetic craaaap as long as he helps us” or something to that effect.

It was the craaaap that got us. He said it in that special Saul “I could care less way” and we just played off it a bit and haven’t let it go since.

And there you have it, the origin of Craaaaap! On with the countdown! :D

Solai
September 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Excellent, thank you Sean! This should probably become a GWC FAQ for any newbies.

Leon Kensington
September 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Yes, it was the 3rd webisode, so maybe the second podcast.

Solai
September 23rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Well, I can make this official. I went and watched webisodes 2-9 and started getting worried...no craaaaaaaaaaap. Duck says it once and I really thought, "Oh gods...I am going to have to tell them that this craaaaaaaaaaaap was all in their heads."

As a last ditch effort I went and watched webisode 1. Thankfully, there it was, 3/4 of the way through.

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=29339

Enjoy!

Chuck
September 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I actually got off my butt, cranked up the forum's FAQ system, and added this as our first "customized" FAQ entry. Thanks so much, Solai, for finding the exact moment. I gave you credit in the FAQ entry, too.

Solai
September 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/bat__1/commentary/woohoo.gif

Thanks Chuck. That's awesome.

snacktime
September 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
I've been wondering about craaaaaaaaap too, especially now that I say it. XD

what about the "do it! do it! do it!" thing? what's that from? I feel like I should know but still haven't figured it out.

Chuck
September 23rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
what about the "do it! do it! do it!" thing? what's that from? I feel like I should know but still haven't figured it out.

That snuck into Sean and my vocabulary via the Discovery show American Chopper. Paul Sr. often says "just dooo it" in his New York accent, punctuating a tirade after he realizes that the person who's talking to him actually knows what they're "doooing" and will probably make him his next $100k in spite of the whole altercation. We started saying it a lot, and Audra picked up on it, too.

After a while -- long after the show became overly commercial and not as much fun to watch -- it got shortened to "dooo it." But we still say it.

Not as fun and sci-fi related as "craaap," I suppose, but one doesn't choose the quotes one lives by; one simply accepts them as they're forced upon one.

snacktime
September 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
aha, cool. thanks for 'splaining! I feel better now.

one doesn't choose the quotes one lives by; one simply accepts them as they're forced upon one.

verily, this is true.

Audra
September 23rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
I had to go digging around, but I found the "do it! do it! do it!" reference. It's from Futurama, season 1, in the episode "Fear of a Bot Planet." The Robot Elders are telling Bender to kill Leela and Fry (the robot imposters) and they all chant "Do it!" in unision, except one robot who's always out of sync.

Chuck was referencing a separate "Do it," from American Chopper, which must be said in a thick Paul, Sr. accent.

snacktime
September 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
the plot thickens..two different kinds of do its! no wonder I was so puzzled. thanks for the further enlightenment!

I need to watch Futurama.

Solai
May 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
This thread continues to make me laugh. Thought it would be fun to bump for some of our newer members.

missmuffet
May 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
There is also a Do It from the Starsky and Hutch movie with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson.

GalaxyRanger
May 15th, 2008, 03:07 PM
There is also a Do It from the Starsky and Hutch movie with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson.

I loved that movie. I subsequently bought the shoes Starsky wore.

missmuffet
May 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I loved that movie. I subsequently bought the shoes Starsky wore.

Nice .

GalaxyRanger
May 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Nice .

They are! I love 'em, Adidas SL 1976 SH (SH for Starsky&Hutch)