PDA

View Full Version : GWC "Recommend Viewings"

Solai
September 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
With the number of injokes, references and quotes on GWC I think it is a good idea to compile a list of movies, television and media that you need to watch in order to completely appreciate the podcast and comments. Here is the only rule: This is confined to things referenced on the show (as opposed to simply good movies and television...for example I can't add Eddie Izzard as although he is hysterical, his concerts have not been mentioned or quoted)

EDIT: 9/24: As this list has already grown very long, I have decided to change it slightly (Oh the awesome power! You will bow down before me, son of Jor-El, bow down! Kneel before Zod! Hehehe.) This list will now be "recommended" background material with required materials highlighted. Please feel free to contribute your thoughts regarding what is recommended and what is required. I'll set a baseline for what makes required as being mentioned in more than 3 podcasts.

Required will be noted with an *, in bold and in alpaca tan

UPDATED 10/29/08 10:07AM EST
Movies
Alien, Alien(s)
Animal House
Austin Powers Trilogy
Back to the Future Trilogy
Better off Dead
The Big Lebowski*
Blade Runner
The Blues Brothers*
Buckeroo Banzai
Caddyshack*
Chasing Amy
A Christmas Story
Clerks
Commando
Dazed and Confused
Demolition Man
E.T.
The Fifth Element
The Fly
The Godfather
Grosse Point Blank
Half Baked
Harry Potter Series
Highlander
Independence Day ("Oops, my bad")
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Jurassic Park
The Last Starfighter *
Matrix Trilogy *
Men in Black
The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy version)
Raiders of the Lost Ark Trilogy
Real Genius *
Serenity* ("Faster would be better!")
Sneakers * ("Say Passport")
Star Wars Series *
Transformers*
Tron* (You need to know what "Sark" is)

Television
BlackAdder*
Cowboy Beepop
DS9
Firefly*
Futurama*
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law*
Mythbusters
Red Dwarf*
Robot Chicken
Samurai Champloo
Saturday Night Live
Scrubs*
Seinfeld
South Park
Star Trek DS9*
Star Trek TOS*
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek Enterprise (just the first shower scene, the rest is Craaaaaaaap)
Star Trek Voyager*
The Venture Brothers
Wings

Boxytheboxed
September 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
havent seen:
red dwarf
real genious
thats preety good for me
ps nice sig

Solai
September 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Boxy, you should rent Real Genius. Brilliant funny, funny movie.

Boxytheboxed
September 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
okidoki
i did rent Buckaroo bonzi
great film

Solai
September 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! How did I forget Buckeroo?

Updated!

TighGetsPunchedALot
September 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! How did I forget Buckeroo?

Austin Powers Trilogy
Better off Dead
Blade Runner
Buckeroo Banzai
Highlander
Firefly
Futurama
Matrix Trilogy
Men in Black
Mythbusters
Real Genius
Red Dwarf
Serenity
Star Wars Series
Tron

how did 1776 fall off the list?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/moobalot/aanewmoobs/battlesimpsons-chiefcally.gif

Solai
September 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Bad cut and paste job. Good catch! Fixed. Also decided it will be easier if I simply update the first post.

Audra
September 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM
UPDATED 9/17 7:45 EST
Austin Powers Trilogy
Better off Dead
Blade Runner
Buckeroo Banzai
Highlander
Firefly
Futurama
Matrix Trilogy
Men in Black
Mythbusters
Real Genius
Red Dwarf
Serenity
Star Wars Series
Tron

An ambitious project! I'd add for movies: The Big Lebowski, Dazed and Confused, E.T., the Back to the Future Trilogy, The Blues Brothers, Animal House, Caddyshack, Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Sneakers

TV: BlackAdder, Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and DS9, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, The Venture Brothers, Saturday Night Live

Music: KT Tunstall, Kanye West, Sean Kingston, The Brady Bunch theme, Ludacris, Ilegales, Eve

Solai
September 22nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks Audra! How on earth did I forget "The Big Lebowski"?!?!?

List is updated.

Audra
September 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Amazing job so far, Solai! I'll add more when I think of 'em.

CodeAndrew
September 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Any room for Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo they have been mentioned before in podcasts (plus i am a big fan of them) lol.

Jason
September 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Half Baked and Transformers come to mind.

Solai
September 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Updates made...I think we are approaching the point where we have gotten most of the historical references. Keep 'em coming, otherwise this will begin to be a "moving forward" capture. We may even have to append each entry with what episode it occurred in.

...:D

CodeAndrew
September 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
I know it hasn't been in any podcast but it is one awesome Scifi movie and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned ... DARK CITY!

snacktime
September 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I often don't get many of the references, but I get the Harry Potter ones. "he's like the Peter Pettigrew" had me snickering for an inordinate length of time.

Audra
September 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah - hehe - the Pettigrew reference could be attributed to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azakaban.

Also - the Hitchhiker's Guide books, the band Poison, and the t.v. show Scrubs.

Audra
September 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
We've also discussed the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers (around Oct. 2006), the book Metaplanetary by Tony Daniel (podcast guest/friend of the show), and the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov.

Audra
September 23rd, 2007, 11:24 PM
Also, the t.v. show American Chopper with the Paul Sr. quote "Just doooo it."

Pike
September 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
We've also discussed the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers (around Oct. 2006)

Reminds me of a mildly amusing story. A friend of mine worked on that movie (he does physical effects for productions on the east coast.) One of his tasks for that flick was to ensure that there were puddles on the sides of the roads as the military trucks rolled by (I have no idea why that was considered important, and no, I don't actually remember them either.) That turned into a huge headache because they had a plumbing system set up to keep the puddles full, but the military vehichles were real and heavy, so they kept crushing the piping system. That became one of his war stories.

So, the movie comes out, we see it, and we finally get to talk to him about it. Our reaction? "Great puddles."

Now it's a running joke, so whenever that movie comes up, the first thing to say is, "Great puddles."

(I laugh, anyway.)

Solai
September 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Ok, list updated and reorganized. You guys certainly bring a wealth of knowledge to the show. This is like trying to keep up with Dennis Miller references.

SpongebobTanu
September 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
HAHAHA, "alpaca tan"

Jason
September 25th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Was getting caught up on Podcast #63 last night and noticed three references not in the list: The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy version), The Fifth Element, and Seinfeld.

Sean also made a reference to Murphy Brown's secretary in Podcast #64. What was the gag there, that there was a new secretary in every episode showing some new shade of incompetence?

Solai
September 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Good catches Jason. Master is updated!

Jason
September 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Good heavens, the whole thread of "Jeff Goldblum is sexy" just came to mind. Gods know why.

Anyway, you can add Jurassic Park and The Fly.

Audra
September 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM
He is sexy. At least, he is in Jurassic Park and Independence Day. ;)

Solai, you rock! And I also love the "alpaca tan." hehe. Sounds like me most of the year.

Solai
September 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Updated, thank you all! I was thinking in the car today "I have to update with Independence Day...half their throwaway quotes come from that movie

Solai
October 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
I am giving this thread a nudge based on Timbuk's recent request for "the best Sci-Fi" out there, especially as his intention is to "bone-up" on good movies. Also added "Alien, Alien(s)" to required movies.

Boxytheboxed
October 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM
if i saw Big Lebowski would i get it or would the jokes fly by me
i get the crews jokes...at least the ones that dont refrence obscure movies 34 people have seen

Starbuccaneer
October 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM
if i saw Big Lebowski would i get it or would the jokes fly by me
i get the crews jokes...at least the ones that dont refrence obscure movies 34 people have seen

Boxy, all you need to get The Big Lebowski is a sense of humor. To paraphrase from that most wonderful of chick flicks, When Harry Met Sally: Empirically, it is a funny movie. Netflix it!

Chuck
October 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Here's a far-out one: we actually mentioned the Governator's movie Commando -- known for offering more one-liners than any other flick we can remember -- in the latest DTA.

Solai
October 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Great, thank you Chuck. List is updated with Commando and The Last Starfighter

Solai
November 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Episode 70: "Looks good on you tho" challenge from Chuck...

...c'mon! Classic Caddyshack! Rodney baby!

As for "pooped out, joined the army" I got nuthin. Stripes?

Audra
November 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM
As for "pooped out, joined the army" I got nuthin. Stripes?

I think it's "flipped out, joined the army," if that helps. Also, a clue: someone in a recent thread (podcast 70 thread?) identified another quote Chuck gave from the same movie.

Solai
November 6th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I think it's "flipped out, joined the army," if that helps. Also, a clue: someone in a recent thread (podcast 70 thread?) identified another quote Chuck gave from the same movie.

Thanks for the tip Audra! I thought about it, searched my brain and still had nothing. So, I cheated:

Martin- "I freaked out, joined the army, went into business for myself, I'm a professional killer."
Friend- "Oh, does that, do you have to do post graduate work for that or can you just jump right in?"

I actually have only seen Grosse Point Blank once. Enjoyed it, but never went back to it. Looks like I have a new movie for Recommeded viewings, thank you!

shrekjdr
November 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Another Movie that was mentioned and yes I own it too on VHS somewhere is Tank Girl!

shrekjdr
November 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the tip Audra! I thought about it, searched my brain and still had nothing. So, I cheated:

Martin- "I freaked out, joined the army, went into business for myself, I'm a professional killer."
Friend- "Oh, does that, do you have to do post graduate work for that or can you just jump right in?"

I actually have only seen Grosse Point Blank once. Enjoyed it, but never went back to it. Looks like I have a new movie for Recommeded viewings, thank you!

Gross point Blank is classic "1o years!!!" hahah

Tesseract
November 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Murphy Brown! I loved Murphy Brown!

I'd like to know if anyone remembers Perfect Strangers? Everytime Balky and Larry celebrate something they do the Dance of Joy :lol: I hear it referenced sometimes, I wonder if you folks do that too :)

gwensdad2003
November 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Chasing Amy needs to be on there if only for the "moment" moments.

That or remove Clerks and Mallrats and replace with "all Kevin Smith movies"

Phil
November 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
I nominate "The Godfather".

Solai
December 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Hey there all...added Demolition Man, Godfather and Chasing Amy to the list. Out of general principles I removed Mallrats, which admittedly I have never seen...but it seems like craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Audra
December 11th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I actually used to do the dance of joy with a friend in junior high...lol

Every time I think of the Cylons' "And they have a plan" - it reminds me of this frequent dialogue between Larry and Balki:

Balki: I have...
Larry: Oh God-
Balki: A plan.

Steve
December 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Nevermind :)

Solai
May 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
As people have been discussing injokes and GWC lore I thought it would be useful to give this thread a nudge. Enjoy!

frakkintalos
May 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM
As people have been discussing injokes and GWC lore I thought it would be useful to give this thread a nudge. Enjoy!

I was looking for this. Thanx Solai.

dxf
May 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
There's a funny SNL skit, "The Quotable Caddyshack," that makes a strong argument for Caddyshack as an essential part of anyone's cultural literacy.

"But it looks good on YOU."

Pike
May 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
There's a funny SNL skit, "The Quotable Caddyshack," that makes a strong argument for Caddyshack as an essential part of anyone's cultural literacy.

See it here (http://www.wnymedia.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=300&Itemid=190).

dxf
May 19th, 2008, 08:11 AM
See it here (http://www.wnymedia.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=300&Itemid=190).

Thanks! I've been looking for that online forever. SNL stuff never stays up for long.

Tighlenol
May 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I think the Ocean's trilogy should be on the list even if Eddie Izzard is in the third one.

BadgerSpoon
May 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think the Ocean's trilogy should be on the list even if Eddie Izzard is in the third one.

Is that good or bad?

Tighlenol
May 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
He was in Mystery Men. That's almost inexcusable in my book.

It seemed like such a good movie from the trailers, but really fell flat in my opinion. In all fairness, Eddie's ok with me. I forgot that movie was made back in 99. Man, I feel old.

BadgerSpoon
May 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM

So was Michael Bay. Wait, bad example. Dane Cook? No, even worse.

Mistakes were made. Don't throw the transvestite out with the bathwater. :)

LittleMissT
June 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Harry Potter...Embarrassed to say I never finished book 1! I have seen all the movies.

Pike
June 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Harry Potter...Embarrassed to say I never finished book 1! I have seen all the movies.

Well, you need to read book one. Or at least hit wikipedia for the precis version. And skip book two while you're at it.

It doesn't really pick up 'til book three. (Fortunately, that's when I started on them.) Of course, the end of seven is a bit... eh. But it's a great ride 'til then.

AwsmEngrGrl
June 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well, you need to read book one. Or at least hit wikipedia for the precis version. And skip book two while you're at it.

It doesn't really pick up 'til book three. (Fortunately, that's when I started on them.) Of course, the end of seven is a bit... eh. But it's a great ride 'til then.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way about the end. Thousands of pages of great storytelling that slides into "eh" territory with a three page epilogue.

TighFighter
June 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Nice

I'm well versed with 90% of the required material.

The exceptions being.... BlackAdder and Sneakers

From now on, anytime I go on one of my Star Wars Expanded Universe rants in the SW comic section I give Chuck permission to tell me either....
"God damn you Walter! You frakin' a-hole! Everything's a frakin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FRAK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the frak are you talking about?" Or simply "Shut the frak up, Donny." :D

Leah
June 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
HAHAHA, "alpaca tan"

I had to ask what was this alpaca thing about. Maybe that should be some where for the new alpacas.

Chuck
June 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Nice

I'm well versed with 90% of the required material.

The exceptions being.... BlackAdder and Sneakers

From now on, anytime I go on one of my Star Wars Expanded Universe rants in the SW comic section I give Chuck permission to tell me either....
"God damn you Walter! You frakin' a-hole! Everything's a frakin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FRAK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the frak are you talking about?" Or simply "Shut the frak up, Donny." :D

Important notes:

I love your EU rants. I just like your EU novel rants in the lit section, comic rants in the comic section.
Anyone willing to talk SW comics with me is OK in my book.
In fact, anyone willing to talk EU with me is OK in my book.:)

TighFighter
June 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Important notes:

I love your EU rants. I just like your EU novel rants in the lit section, comic rants in the comic section.
:)

Bah, but you can't talk about one without the other. It's just wrong.... :D

And Yarvin? :eek: Man, I can't let you live that one down.

Heh, I just want to hear you say "Shut the expletive up Donny" on air The Big Lebowski is my fav. comedy. :p

Boxytheboxed
July 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Harry Potter...Embarrassed to say I never finished book 1! I have seen all the movies.Dont be heres a little secret:There not that good. After the 4th they got pretty bad.

imn0tal0ser
August 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM

"But it looks good on YOU."

speaking of sketches that make reference to Caddyshack as essential for cultural literacy... be forewarned, it contains strong language, and Henry Rollins (scariest vegan in the 'verse). anyway:
A Letter to Ann Coulter, by Henry Rollins.

ZgSBhlw-o9E

that movie should be in the dictionary next to "squandered potential". but hey, farts are funny, right? right? sigh.

also, Solai? i've got to disagree with you on Mallrats. it's not my favorite View Askew flick, but it is great.

finally, in an effort to say something on topic for once, i would like to submit the Ocean's movies for inclusion on the list.

Keir
November 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Okay, so my online movie rental queue is over 100 films long, but I did notice that a few series are starting to work their way towards the top of the heap, and I'm willing to give one a gentle nudge skyward if the collective here thinks it's worth it -- this may not necessarily be "recommended viewings" as Chuck first initiated the thread (in order to fully grasp the RFQT that they all suffer from gladly), but where else would I ask for a recommendation? Eh? Eh?

So here is what's on the horizon, and feel free to quantify your suggestions...they all seem to bear the same "viewer rating" on Blockbuster.com (whom I use over Netflix for a myriad of reasons):

Tinman
The 4400
Jeremiah
Torchwood

Hmm. My money right now is on Torchwood, simply because of longevity and some kudos from kindred spirits, but I defer to y'all. [Update: I question that now, seeing as how I'd be two seasons behind, and Chowder (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DSNFQ4/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=2822710917&ref=pd_sl_32lkzcd7aa_e) releases on DVD this month, and I'm not limiting my time for THAT.]

Keir
November 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hmm. No help from the peoples. Rolling with The 4400, then, for brevity...need to leave time to re-read Foundation...

Keara
November 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
So here is what's on the horizon, and feel free to quantify your suggestions...they all seem to bear the same "viewer rating" on Blockbuster.com (whom I use over Netflix for a myriad of reasons)

Hmmm, let me guess your reasons...

Did you, through "no fault of your own," not return/lose/have stolen 20 movies (8 of them around Christmas last year) to Netflix until they finally had enough with the missing discs and cut you off without warning? And then, even though you could pretty much explain all of it they were pretty much movie-rental nazis and the customer service rep was all "No MOVIES FOR YOU!"

You know, I'm just coming up with this scenario hypothetically. I don't actually KNOW anyone who who this happened to. :rolleyes:

Keir
November 9th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hmmm, let me guess your reasons...

Did you, through "no fault of your own," not return/lose/have stolen 20 movies (8 of them around Christmas last year) to Netflix until they finally had enough with the missing discs and cut you off without warning? And then, even though you could pretty much explain all of it they were pretty much movie-rental nazis and the customer service rep was all "No MOVIES FOR YOU!"

You know, I'm just coming up with this scenario hypothetically. I don't actually KNOW anyone who who this happened to. :rolleyes:

Why, Keara, what ever dost thou mean? =)

Actually, I was a slightly different tale, but at the time I switched, the main reasons were because (a) they kept losing my discs on the way TO me, and me being scatterbrained, I wouldn't notice I hadn't gotten a disc in weeks, and (b) using Blockbuster, you take take up to 5 disc envelopes a month back int oa local store and swap them free for a box off the shelf, thus maximizing your DVD turnaround. Muwahahahahaa!

...No tips on the show choices, though, eh? Ah well.

beach23bum
December 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I was watching this weeks Law & Order SVU and found Anders in it thought I would share it.

CylonMATRIX
March 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
The Awesome Threeome made a mention of Canada's "Space" channel before
lZC3L7-eoPU&NR