PDA

View Full Version : mac or pc?

mactopia
November 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hello everyone. a couple weeks ago i called in to GWC podcast. My name is Elliot (the kid). I was wondering if you use mac or a pc?

The Alpaca Herder
November 17th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, I use a Mac. A short answer of "Mac" or "PC" is too short for minimum message length apparently.

Lucky
November 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I have used both, but I prefer PC. I don’t really see any great advantage to either one though.

mactopia
November 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
in my opinion whether it matters or not. proebly not. but still, I use both and my pc got a lot of viruses. It is 2 years old. my mac has never been broken. it is the best and most reliable computer i have ever hed, simple and fun to use. My mac Has NEVER broken down. once agien my opinion is lower then bushes approval ratings. Yep thats it, blaming everything on the president. why did my cat die mr.bush why? Well there elliot it was because of nucaler testing in st.paul that killed 2.5 million people. my name is Bush and i approve of this message!

DocP
November 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I use both, so I get the both of best worlds.
________
Recall wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Pike
November 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I use both, so I get the both of best worlds.

And the worst. ;)

Armando
November 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I hate Macs. Hate 'em. No good toasters. They'll eventually kill us all. I HATE THEM!

Can't say why, exactly. Other than I find the keyboards are weird, they take too long to load and no one makes any software for them--which is why they never get viruses: cause no one uses them. Anyway, I just find them annoying and anyone who loves them is a gods-damned fraking toaster lover!

Okay, okay. I'm settling down. I'm all right...Rant over...

LET ME AT 'EM! Frakking toasters!

(Seriously, I have nothing against mac users. I just wanted to be silly.)

Boxytheboxed
November 17th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I hate Macs. Hate 'em. No good toasters. They'll eventually kill us all. I HATE THEM!

Can't say why, exactly. Other than I find the keyboards are weird, they take too long to load and no one makes any software for them--which is why they never get viruses: cause no one uses them. Anyway, I just find them annoying and anyone who loves them is a gods-damned fraking toaster lover!

Okay, okay. I'm settling down. I'm all right...Rant over...

LET ME AT 'EM! Frakking toasters!

(Seriously, I have nothing against mac users. I just wanted to be silly.)fine then i hate you :P
im a total mac geek
Mac>timeloards

Pike
November 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Other than I find the keyboards are weird,

Actually, the keyboards work correctly on Macs. Control works the same as it does on Unix/Linux/BSD keyboards (and otherwise give you the same functionality as right-click, which is why we never missed it.) The Apple/Command key is the main key command modifier (Option and Shift being the others.)

On Windows machines alone Ctrl is broken, and is patched around awkwardly.

On a general level, I'm platform agnostic, and I'm sure there are instances where Windows implements things better. I just can't think of any right now.

Chuck
November 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
My answer: yes.

Nickname Boomer
November 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM
But I try to not discriminate, these day’s there aint much of difference Anyways.

Topgun
November 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I use a PC, or rather, it uses me.

Cavatar
November 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I have never really liked Macs. When I was a kid, there was something about not being able to eject the 3.5" disks. Sounds dumb I know but is the truth.

Topgun
November 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have never really liked Macs. When I was a kid, there was something about not being able to eject the 3.5" disks. Sounds dumb I know but is the truth.

You just had to dig it out with your flint spearpoint. :D

Juan
November 18th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Mac and PC, PC for World of Warcraft, Mac for everything else (only because my mac mini doesn't have the graphics horsepower to run WoW at any decent framerate) - i got the pc laptop right before the intel mac announcement and instantly regretted it... oh well, waiting for the 3 year warranty to run out

Hannibleking
November 18th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I like my MacBook Pro its great for those who have ADHD. Everything on it and everything it does looks so pretty. Plus I need its Final Cut Pro...

But, yea it is a pro-con deal. I have a desktop PC and my Laptop is a Mac. Which is pretty much where I like everything to be. I can't say I would have bought a Mac in the first place without FCP but it has turned out to be a wonderful laptop, all in all.

But PC is still fine, it can be frustrating sometimes more than a Mac but, if you learn to understand its ins and outs, it has more capabilities than a Mac. At least for now, in the future... Who knows?

If I had to choose because someone put a gun to my head and made me choose who will be ahead in the future. Well first I'd ask "Isn't that a bit much, with the gun and all?" But I would say, I think Mac. As far as making headway is concerned because Steve Jobs is constantly making the Apple product line more viable and is slowly getting more software companies to support Mac (EA just put its line of games on the Mac). And from working at Gamestop I know that we are going to start selling Mac games in the store sometime soon. So right now it kinda breaks even. But I think Mac is making more progress...

johnsmith_12345
November 18th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Mac User since '05. Not going back.

Armando
November 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
fine then i hate you :P
im a total mac geek
Mac>timeloards

You, hate? HA! Boxey, you don't have it in you. ;)

Lady D
November 18th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Mac since '88. Had to use a PC for a college course--frustrated the hell out of me.

Hannibleking
November 18th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Mac since '88. Had to use a PC for a college course--frustrated the hell out of me.

See thats when they(apple) should start paying you... Since 88', your a downright fanatic.

Cant blame you though...

mactopia
November 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I counted the number of people who posted there replies to this post.
Mac wraked up 9
Pc Fraked up 4

These days you can run windows XP or vista on your mac nativly! All you have to do is download boot camp from apples 'site ( free ) and buy your choose.

Any ways macs rock, Mac os x 10.5.1 ( leopard ) is 120 dollars. Vista utimate which is a retarded version of the Macintosh Operating System version 5. Ultimate is 450 dollars. So those are some examples.

Miguel
November 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Macintosh to the death!

mactopia
November 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
i have a forum for all you mac geeks like me. It's at cgrevolution.wikispaces.com. Also i put in psp stuff to.

DocP
November 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I think this comic though best sums up why I have a PC as well as a mac.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20040703.jpg

Armando
November 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Hey mac users (or PC users). This is weird, posting this on GWC, but what the hey: we're a tight bunch, right? Anyway, for some reason over the last couple of days iTunes has decided to no longer let me burn CDs by crashing/freezing each time I ask it to do it. I have a potential employer who has asked me to provide samples of my work on CD and, well, I've had to resort to using Windows Media Player (an inferior program) to burn it. Any idea why this might be happening on iTunes? I've tried everything the troubleshooting guides tell you to do and can't seem to fix the problem, and I don't want to delete and reinstall the program (potentially erasing my entire library) without first knowing it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks! :D

Pike
November 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Have you upgraded to 10.4.11? That's been causing some problems.

Pike
November 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I think this comic though best sums up why I have a PC as well as a mac.

I'll kick your ass in marathon.

(Yeah, I know it's almost as old as Elliot.)

Boxytheboxed
November 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'll kick your ass in marathon.

(Yeah, I know it's almost as old as Elliot.)
HELL YES
actually i think its older than me, but, hell i STILL play it. brillant game. i have all of em, and all the duke nukems, and Myth and Age of empires, all origionls on a like 1932 mac laptop. it wieghs like 20lbs

Boxytheboxed
November 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
also macs in my house....1/2/3/4/5/6 6 macs in my house of 5
people in my house:5

Lady D
November 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
6 macs in my house of 5
people in my house:5

3 macs in my house of 2

Then there's the 3 others I have retired to run educational software in my kindergarten classroom.

See thats when they(apple) should start paying you

I agree, Hannibleking! I'll forward your suggestion to Jobs.

Archtaku
November 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Either Mac or Linux. Switched when the Intel Macs were released, and I'm never going back. Ever.

Pike
November 19th, 2007, 11:45 PM
HELL YES
actually i think its older than me, but, hell i STILL play it. brillant game. i have all of em, and all the duke nukems, and Myth and Age of empires, all origionls on a like 1932 mac laptop. it wieghs like 20lbs
Looks like you're only missing Myst., Boxy

Steve
November 20th, 2007, 02:19 AM
As soon as I can build a Mac from parts off the shelf, I might build a Mac.

I do have two Macs. Never have turned them on though. It's on my "to-do" list. They are old so don't get all bent out of shape.

(bought one at Goodwill for $15)

Macs are neat, but my PC does everything I need it to do.

So, put me down for PC. But really, I would rather have a good Amiga again.

Solai
November 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Right with you Steve. I owned an Amiga 2000...what a kickass machine that was.

I would say I have always been drawn to the aesthetic and thoughtfulness of the Mac. Macs are not cool because they are marketed well...Macs are cool because their interface is gorgeous, intuitive and fun. PCs (Windows) is a different story. I can take a PC apart and put it back together in my sleep. I can debug and troubleshoot just about any Windows problem that doesn't require a PhD in Electrical Engineering to solve. Of course I developed these abilities due to the fact that Windows in the exact opposite of Mac...it is not intuitive...it is scary, it is clunky...it wavers between trying to be MCP (Tron shout out) and letting you blow up the entire system because you inadvertantly deleted a system file.

In short, I am one of those strange blends. If you were to put a Mac infront of me I would be happy, especially if it had "ILife" on it. Put a sweet fully loaded PC in front of me and I will also be happy...once I plug my Ipod into it. :D

Archtaku
November 20th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Macs are not cool because they are marketed well...Macs are cool because their interface is gorgeous, intuitive and fun. PCs (Windows) is a different story. I can take a PC apart and put it back together in my sleep. I can debug and troubleshoot just about any Windows problem that doesn't require a PhD in Electrical Engineering to solve. Of course I developed these abilities due to the fact that Windows in the exact opposite of Mac...it is not intuitive...it is scary, it is clunky...it wavers between trying to be MCP (Tron shout out) and letting you blow up the entire system because you inadvertantly deleted a system file.

Precisely.

shrekjdr
November 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Me I prefer a PC :) because I could never beat that game oregan trail on a MAC when I was in School from that the 5 1/4 floppys... doh did I just date myself

mactopia
December 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Me I prefer a PC :) because I could never beat that game oregan trail on a MAC when I was in School from that the 5 1/4 floppys... doh did I just date myself
Macs are the best in my opinion

iGhost
February 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
Im an Apple fanatic! Have been using Macs for like 15 years. I still own 6 of them. As an artist and musician especially I cant imagine using anything else. Also after spending a few years as PC tech (back in the Windows ME days) I could never EVER be persuaded to use a windows machine for my daily work. Put me down for Mac all the way!!!

SpiderPig
February 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
I love my Mac laptop at home, but I've really got no issues with the PC I use at work. The major drafting program I use for my bread and butter is only compatible with Windows. Bottom line - check out the programs you need and make sure they work with the system you buy. The rest is just personal preference.

mactopia
February 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I also use my mac for recording

rushfanrich
February 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Had a Mac at work for almost 6 years and bought a PC for home in 98. I nought a mac laptop in 05, PC died in 07, replaced with new Imac within a few days. Never looked back. Love it!

Chevy vs a Cadillac. They both do the job, but which would you rather have?

Boxytheboxed
February 11th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Looks like you're only missing Myst., Boxynope have that too..but damn i hate that game:mad:too hard, and kinda boring

iGhost
February 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I also use my mac for recording

Yeah me too, such a great setup for that purpose.

Archtaku
February 12th, 2008, 03:26 AM
So is anyone else currently using Linux? C'mon, in a forum of geeks, I can't be the only one.

I work as a sysadmin for a web hosting company, and since the majority of our servers run Linux, it's a natural choice for my workstation. Here's a crappy cell phone shot of it*:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/palehose/misc/work_computers.jpg

I actually have two computers at work, one running Linux and the other running Windows. The two monitors on the right are Linux, the left one Windows XP. I have the vast majority of my apps running on the Linux box, and I use the Windows box strictly for server monitoring and interoperability with crappy Microsoft products like Microsoft Exchange.

Pike
February 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
So is anyone else currently using Linux? C'mon, in a forum of geeks, I can't be the only one.

I look at it periodically, and then go right back to my Mac. Since OSX has the BSD underlayer, there isn't much draw for me (especially as time goes on and Apple folds more unixy features into the GUI system.) And if you do graphics work, you really need the Adobe toolset.

That said, I could easily see using a Linux or BSD box as a server or backup machine. In fact, I just recommended a cheap Linux laptop (Eee) for a friend who was looking for a machine to use in the field.

mactopia
February 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I am lost about LINUX. Please tell me all about it.

Kag1
February 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Mac user since about the 4th grade or somewhere around there. Grew up on the Apple IIc. I also remember playing Oregon trail (guess that dates me as well). Currently own 2 macs, one desktop and a laptop. I use a PC at work only because they make me.

wisebob134
February 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I use a Mac. It such a stabler system although Leopard needs some patches or something but it's not as bad as windows.

Pike
February 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I use a Mac. It such a stabler system although Leopard needs some patches or something but it's not as bad as windows.

Did you get the latest patch? The ".2" one? Apparently it fixes the major complaints. (Or so I hear, I'm still on Tiger.)

Archtaku
February 15th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I have installed the 10.5.2 patch on my laptop. I don't notice any significant change, though I haven't experienced any real problems with Leopard so far, aside from using software that hasn't yet had an update released since Leopard's release.

My only real gripe is that, with the switch to X.Org instead of XFree86 for apps that use the X Window System, every time X starts a frakkin' xterm window pops up.