PDA

View Full Version : Washington D.C. Meetups

Combs
November 3rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
I live in Severn, MD.... just seeing if there's anybody local I can hound... lol

Not to mention, maybe you'd like to carpool to Philly to watch the 10pm showing of Razor? I've already downloaded it, but I want to go see it at a movie theater.

Raemani
November 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
I live in Severn, MD.... just seeing if there's anybody local I can hound... lol

Not to mention, maybe you'd like to carpool to Philly to watch the 10pm showing of Razor? I've already downloaded it, but I want to go see at a movie theater.

I am not currently in MD, I live in Philly now, but I grew up outside Baltimore.

If you do decide to come up on the 12th let us (the Philly Crue know) as some of us are going. I am going to both showings.

Combs
November 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
cool... i'm trying to get one or two other people to come up with me. I don't think they'll come because of how late it is on a weeknight and the distance from this area.

Raemani
November 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
cool... i'm trying to get one or two other people to come up with me. I don't think they'll come because of how late it is on a weeknight and the distance from this area.

Yeah, it is a bit far (like 3 hours or so) and it is Monday. I am lucky, I have off that day, so I can go out early (it is about a 30 min drive).

Keep an eye on the Philly Crue meet-ups there has been talk of us having one in the Baltimore/DC area at some point (probably once Armando is going down there again)

Armando
November 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I spend a great deal of time in D.C. (and I'm trying to get back there permanently next year. Keep your fingers crossed) and would loooooove to get together and go see Razor in the theater. Unfortunately, family obligations have forced me to curtail my traveling until the spring. Right around the time season 4 is supposed to start, actually. Maybe we could do a D.C. meet up then?

Combs
November 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I spend a great deal of time in D.C. (and I'm trying to get back there permanently next year. Keep your fingers crossed) and would loooooove to get together and go see Razor in the theater. Unfortunately, family obligations have forced me to curtail my traveling until the spring. Right around the time season 4 is supposed to start, actually. Maybe we could do a D.C. meet up then?

I'd be cool with that. We'll have to do a little bit of campaigning to try and find other people in the area. I know a couple of people who like BSG, but I don't how they would feel about a meetup like that, lol.

Armando
November 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I've been trying to get one together since last summer, but I'm afraid each time I'm there I get busier and busier. Hopefully I'll be able to move back there next summer and make life a bit easier that way (and, you know, running my ensemble, arranging rehearsals and the other reasons I'd like to move back to the D.C. area). :-)

mSeliga
December 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm out in Frederick County. Is anybody still willing to meet?

Starbuccaneer
January 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
So I know it's a wee bit early yet, but I think that the DC/NOVA/MD area needs to have a meet-up for the season 4 premiere. It's just too exciting not to plan until the last minute. I am more than happy to host, although my tv is a somewhat pathetic 24" non-HD, non-flat screen deal. If anyone with a better viewing set-up has the desire to host, I'm happy to turn over those duties and just bring snacks. What say you? Who's in?

Ipod
January 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
I'm in Edgewater, just south of Annapolis, not to far from Severn, Just up I-97 20 min Max

Pike
January 3rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I know a bar in Baltimore that did some frak parties, but they've changed ownership and I'm not sure how friendly they'd be to that now.

Raemani
January 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
OK, I know it is a little early, but they have announced the guests for Shore Leave July 11-13 in Hunt Valley:

George Takei
Malcolm McDowell
Mark Sheppard
and his Dad: W. Morgan Sheppard

I will most likely be going with some Friends from Skiffy.

http://www.shore-leave.com/index.htm

Pike
January 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM
They always manage to get a good lineup of guests.

cavedweller
May 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Anything come of the Spring/Summer meetup in the DC area?
I'm in Northern VA and would love to know if one is planned.

Casilda
May 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'm 2, 2.5, 3 hours outside of DC (ah, traffic!) when I'm in the States... it would be stretching it but if any meet ups were to apply to me, that would be the one.

Starbuccaneer
May 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Anything come of the Spring/Summer meetup in the DC area?
I'm in Northern VA and would love to know if one is planned.

I would be SOOO up for that-- perhaps for the final episode of 4.0? I'd offer to host, even, but my TV is pretty tiny and there's no parking in the area of the city where I live. So, since I wouldn't be a good host, I'd make brownies or cookies or something. Go all Suzy Cylon Homemaker on all of you.

badword
June 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would be SOOO up for that-- perhaps for the final episode of 4.0? I'd offer to host, even, but my TV is pretty tiny and there's no parking in the area of the city where I live. So, since I wouldn't be a good host, I'd make brownies or cookies or something. Go all Suzy Cylon Homemaker on all of you.

I don't normally volunteer for ANYTHING, but...

My tv is OK, and there's a place to park in my neighborhood if you don't mind a 200 yard walk. My living room is sorta small, so for this reason we've only place a single couch to view our stories(BSG is the only show we make time to watch). I was thinking though, if folks wanted to honor my house by attending something, we could put crazy oriental and persian rugs all around and squat like Baltar's chica's while we watch the show, lol. Oh, also, I live in northern Montgomery Co, which I figure is a happy midway between NoVa, BMor and Frederick. Half of my neighbors are police, too, so it's a pretty quiet place to be.

I dunno, just a thought. I'll have to check with my wife if anyone is serious about attending, though.

Armando
July 13th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Okay, so I'm stepping in a little late, but since I'm now back in the DC area full time after two years away, I'd love to have a meet up soon (besides, I owe Pike one from last year, which Elena had me cancel). I know we don't have an episode coming up for, well, a really frakking long time, but maybe we could do a labor day cook-out or something? Or meet in a bar? Restaurant? Anyone interested in getting together to see The Dark Knight next week, perhaps?

Pike
July 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Artscape (the largest free arts festival or something) is taking place in Baltimore next weekend. It's a bitch for the locals, so a meetup would be a nice salve.

Raemani
July 14th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Well I can't make it next weekend, but I would be willing to come down sometime in the near future.

I was just in Severna Park this past weekend (and went to Shore Leave), so I can't come down for a few more weekends, but let me know if something comes up in early August or after mid Sept.

Armando
July 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Pike-

do you mean the weekend of 7/18-7/20 or the following weekend of 7/25-27? I'm busy on the 26th and 27th but could make something this weekend.

Fallen
August 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I work in DC and would be interested in a meetup in DC/Maryland or Northern VA.....

Starbuccaneer
August 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum, I work in DC and would be interested in a meetup in DC/Maryland or Northern VA.....

I think we should do a meet-up for the first film/ep in whatever arc is next after The Matrix.

inthefrakinship
August 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I wish I still lived in Annapolis :(

h1661n5
November 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
The Landmark Cinema in D.C. (The E Street Cinema) will be showing the classic Ghostbusters on December 5 and 6. I propose a meet up to see it on either, or hell, BOTH nights.

Ghostbusters was the first VHS I ever purchased, it was paid for entirely in nickles and dimes, because for some reason, people won't pay you in bills if you mow their lawn while under the age of 10.

Their website is here: http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/WashingtonDC/WashingtonDC_Frameset.htm

Starbuccaneer
January 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Tell me, GWCers, who is not giddy with anticipation for January 16, a mere 10 days from now? One answer would be my roommate, who has marked her calendar to make sure to be out while I have my "dork party" (said with love).

I, Starbuccaneer, will be hosting a Frak Party for the 4.5 premiere on the evening of January 16. I expect Armando will be in attendance, as will my lovely girlfriend, so you know that it will be a rollicking good time. I'll have some snacks and enough electrical outlets that we can all jump onto the forum during/immediately following the main event. I hope that those of you in the DC area will come!

Time, Place, and Manner:
-I'm thinking 8 p.m.
-I live in NW Washington, D.C.
-PM me if you want to come and I'll keep you informed and provide you with directions.

Relevant Details:
-My tv is not huge. I have a 27 inch non-LCD old-style, but it works and it looks pretty decent. If crystal clarity and a size greater than a yard across are important to you, you may want to find another Frak Party :(
-I have a cat and a dog. I will almost certainly put them in a bedroom while people are here, but if you are violently allergic or deeply terrified, consider yourself warned.
-Also be warned, it's the kick-off to inauguration weekend.
-Metro accessible! If you want to leave your car parked out in VA or MD, I'm about 1/4 mile from a green/yellow line stop.
-I'll probably be wearing my Starbuck hoodie and dog tags. It'll be too hard to resist. Other BSG outfits welcome (as long as you're not dressing as Jake. I'm prejudiced against furries).

--KLS

Armando
January 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Tell me, GWCers, who is not giddy with anticipation for January 16, a mere 10 days from now? One answer would be my roommate, who has marked her calendar to make sure to be out while I have my "dork party" (said with love).

I, Starbuccaneer, will be hosting a Frak Party for the 4.5 premiere on the evening of January 16. I expect Armando will be in attendance, as will my lovely girlfriend, so you know that it will be a rollicking good time. I'll have some snacks and enough electrical outlets that we can all jump onto the forum during/immediately following the main event. I hope that those of you in the DC area will come!

Time, Place, and Manner:
-I'm thinking 8 p.m.
-I live in NW Washington, D.C.
-PM me if you want to come and I'll keep you informed and provide you with directions.

Relevant Details:
-My tv is not huge. I have a 27 inch non-LCD old-style, but it works and it looks pretty decent. If crystal clarity and a size greater than a yard across are important to you, you may want to find another Frak Party :(
-I have a cat and a dog. I will almost certainly put them in a bedroom while people are here, but if you are violently allergic or deeply terrified, consider yourself warned.
-Also be warned, it's the kick-off to inauguration weekend.
-Metro accessible! If you want to leave your car parked out in VA or MD, I'm about 1/4 mile from a green/yellow line stop.
-I'll probably be wearing my Starbuck hoodie and dog tags. It'll be too hard to resist. Other BSG outfits welcome (as long as you're not dressing as Jake. I'm prejudiced against furries).

--KLS

Count me in! (I've PM'd you already. I'll need an address at some point, but I'm on the blue line, so I will plan on taking metro in. YEAY for ease of access!) I don't have any BSG themed outfits, though.

Here's hoping other GWC'ers can make it. Pike? Raemani? Casilda?

Pike
January 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I, Starbuccaneer, will be hosting a Frak Party for the 4.5 premiere on the evening of January 16. I expect Armando will be in attendance, as will my lovely girlfriend, so you know that it will be a rollicking good time.

Hookay then...

Raemani
January 6th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Well I am pretty sure I will be there (just gotta leave work early - since I will have a 2 and half hour drive min). I may also be bringing on of the other Bunnies with me, since her hubby is out of town (she is staying home with the dogs and ferret) that weekend and doesn't want to be all alone watching BSG. And since I was going to spend the weekend with her anyway, figured another person won't make too much of a difference) Which means we would be coming from the Severna Park area, and likely driving.

I will PM you here shortly, unless here works and you just want to PM me your address.

Casilda
January 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I need to figure out the transportation aspect... will get back to you all, but hope that it all works out :)

Armando
January 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
The Mrs. MAY be able to come, since it's a Friday. She longs for adult conversation (IYKWIM) and it WOULD be nice to let the grandparents watch the kids for a night while we dork out. Woot!

Raemani
January 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM
The Mrs. MAY be able to come, since it's a Friday. She longs for adult conversation (IYKWIM) and it WOULD be nice to let the grandparents watch the kids for a night while we dork out. Woot!
Awesome, It will be fun to meet everyone. Like I said I am coming one way or the other.

It is so much more fun to watch episodes with someone, which I don't get to do often, until this half of the season because I have standing plans with a friend of mine and his nephew for the rest of the episodes (minus the finale). I got to watch the finale with them last year and it was lots of fun.

Starbuccaneer
January 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
HOORAY! Pike, was that an indication that you might be in?

Pike
January 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
HOORAY! Pike, was that an indication that you might be in?

Wait. What are you asking me, exactly?

Starbuccaneer
January 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Wait. What are you asking me, exactly?

um, to join my girlfriend and I for a rollicking good time, of course...

Just bumping this thread. One and all, consider yourself invited as long as you can get to NW DC by this Friday evening. PM me for address, cell, and further details.

Pike
January 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
um, to join my girlfriend and I for a rollicking good time, of course....

Of course, of course.

This just may possibly work, maybe.

The trick is the ride back.

(Armando has no excuse, BTW.)

Starbuccaneer
January 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Of course, of course.

Armando will be there.

Raemani
January 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Of course, of course.

Ride back to where Pike?

Cause I will be driving down, but going back to the Baltimore area after the fact.

Not sure I will be able to hang much after the show, since I will still have an hour drive home (an by home I mean to my friends house), but I plan to be there.

Pike
January 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Ride back to where Pike?

Cause I will be driving down, but going back to the Baltimore area after the fact.

Not sure I will be able to hang much after the show, since I will still have an hour drive home (an by home I mean to my friends house), but I plan to be there.

Huh. That could work. I'll have to see what The GF's schedule is...

Raemani
January 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Huh. That could work. I'll have to see what The GF's schedule is...
Let me know. I mean technically I am going back to Severna Park, but any where in Baltimore (or the way to Baltimore) is not out of the question for me to drive to, and I don't mind at all.

Armando
January 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Pike, if I didn't have to get up the next morning to take care of the little Cylon (Saturday mornings belong to my wife), I would drive you back up to Baltimore. Hell, I'd give you a ride to D.C. if I didn't have to get home by 1:30 to watch Elena so her sister can go to the dentist (more on that in the "Life is TEH suck" thread momentarily).

And yes, I WILL be there and I plan to bring some muchies. Ain't no way I'm missing this barring a serious catastrophe (and by the way, our first planned meet up was canceled because of the premature birth of my youngest daughter. PLEASE let me live it down already, man!). ;)

Starbuccaneer
January 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Also, I think it only appropriate that I have some whiskey on hand. With ice.

Solai
January 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Remember to take a picture of the group (and, if you are so inclined...call in and leave an intro or message!)

Pike
January 16th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Frak. Won't make this one. Furnace behaving badly...

Starbuccaneer
January 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Frak. Won't make this one. Furnace behaving badly...

We'll miss you but I certainly hope you won't be watching alone in a cold, heatless house!

Pike
January 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
We'll miss you but I certainly hope you won't be watching alone in a cold, heatless house!

I won't be watching in real time, either. I may be scarce 'til about noon or so.

I should probably just post in the Bitch & Moan Thread.

tikkachic
January 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Anyone in the DC area? If not, I may have to make it out to a Philly meet up sometime. I heard they're pretty kewl.

Pike
January 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Anyone in the DC area? If not, I may have to make it out to a Philly meet up sometime. I heard they're pretty kewl.

A motley bunch, actually, but much better at organizing...

tikkachic
January 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm quite motley, myself.

Armando
January 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
We just had a DC meetup recently for "Sometimes a Great Notion" (Starbucaneer hosted. Pike missed it. And we missed his lustrous, lustrous hair and cowboy hats.;)). We had so much fun that we'd like to do one again, though it sounds like most people around here are trying to make it to the national meet up for the finale (which I, sniff, sniff, can't make). I think we definitely need to do one for the finale with anyone who's not in Texas but if everyone in the area is going to the national meet up, then maybe we can plan for a pre-finale episode (for which, I suppose, we'd better start talking soon).

By the way, Raemani, from the Philly crew, also attended this meet up and she has let us know that the Philly Crew is not what it once was, evidently. They haven't gotten together in quite some time.

Anyway, is it time for another frak party and/or meet up? I'll bring more guacamole!

Pike
January 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
By the way, Raemani, from the Philly crew, also attended this meet up and she has let us know that the Philly Crew is not what it once was, evidently. They haven't gotten together in quite some time.

Hey, that's true.

IN YOUR FACE, PHILLY CRUE!! Baltimore FTW!

Also, DC!

And I think Washington State tonight...

Starbuccaneer
January 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
We just had a DC meetup recently for "Sometimes a Great Notion" (Starbucaneer hosted. Pike missed it. And we missed his lustrous, lustrous hair and cowboy hats.;)). We had so much fun that we'd like to do one again, though it sounds like most people around here are trying to make it to the national meet up for the finale (which I, sniff, sniff, can't make). I think we definitely need to do one for the finale with anyone who's not in Texas but if everyone in the area is going to the national meet up, then maybe we can plan for a pre-finale episode (for which, I suppose, we'd better start talking soon).

Anyway, is it time for another frak party and/or meet up? I'll bring more guacamole!

If I do not have a job before Feb 22 I will not be going to the meet up in TX, so in that case I am happy to host a finale frak party. If I do go to the meet up, then I'll gladly host a frak party for a different night. I'll keep yall posted.

Armando
March 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Hey DC GWC'ers,

The in-laws will be out of the house on March 13 so party at my house! I'm considering throwing a frak party for part one of the finale, "Daybreak Part one" on March 13. We had so much fun at the last one of these things in January that it'd be nice to do it again before the end, and since I can't make it to the national meet up, I'd love to host one.

Anyone interested?

Casilda
March 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
I wish I wish... but that's the weekend before my written exams... so no fun for me :(

Starbuccaneer
March 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Meeee! I am interested!

Armando
March 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Details will follow. Await my instructions.

tikkachic
March 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm fairly new to the forums and am a total Frak Party virgin. I'd LOVE to come...if you promise to be gentle....

Pike
March 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm fairly new to the forums and am a total Frak Party virgin. I'd LOVE to come...if you promise to be gentle....

Well, Armando was all hands when we met up, but he's pretty good about adhering to some ground rules.

Armando
March 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Well, Armando was all hands when we met up, but he's pretty good about adhering to some ground rules.

Well, you did have a pretty good safe word. :D

We're thinking and 8-8:30 p.m. start time to give us good hang out time before the show (and let the kids get to bed). Also feel free to bring any snacks and drinks. We have SOME liquor, but we're not big drinkers, so if you want anything special, you gotta bring it. I'll plan on making my guacamole again.

I'll PM you all my address next week.

Starbuccaneer
March 3rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, you did have a pretty good safe word. :D

We're thinking and 8-8:30 p.m. start time to give us good hang out time before the show (and let the kids get to bed). Also feel free to bring any snacks and drinks. We have SOME liquor, but we're not big drinkers, so if you want anything special, you gotta bring it. I'll plan on making my guacamole again.

I'll PM you all my address next week.

Trust me, it is worth showing up just for the guacamole. Yummo.

Raemani
March 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Well unfortunately, I don't think I am going to be able to make it. I will be down that way this weekend, and those plans can't really be changed at this point. And since I am able to go to the Dallas Finale meet-up I need to be home the weekend before to get somethings done around the house since Keara is coming to stay here before we fly out (on separate flights).

I would love to come and hang out and I say we still need to have a longer get together once the show is over. It is just a long day for me to drive down after work. I am thinking like a Saturday afternoon/early evening meet-up where we can all sit around and talk or do a mini rewatch or something.

Armando
March 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Well unfortunately, I don't think I am going to be able to make it. I will be down that way this weekend, and those plans can't really be changed at this point. And since I am able to go to the Dallas Finale meet-up I need to be home the weekend before to get somethings done around the house since Keara is coming to stay here before we fly out (on separate flights).

I would love to come and hang out and I say we still need to have a longer get together once the show is over. It is just a long day for me to drive down after work. I am thinking like a Saturday afternoon/early evening meet-up where we can all sit around and talk or do a mini rewatch or something.

I am game for that. Now, how come this is the first I've heard of Keara being about two hours away from me? :confused:

Raemani
March 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I am game for that. Now, how come this is the first I've heard of Keara being about two hours away from me? :confused:
Not sure Armando - she is about an hour and a half from me, but is probably about the same from you. It is easier for her to come to my house to go to the airport since it would be about 2 hours from her and it is 30 min from my house - and at the house she is leaving that hour and a half makes a HUGE difference.

And as a side note - so does RMHPH

tikkachic
March 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Count me in. Lookin' forward to meeting the people Behind the Voicemails. I will try not to get unruly.

Armando
March 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Not sure Armando - she is about an hour and a half from me, but is probably about the same from you. It is easier for her to come to my house to go to the airport since it would be about 2 hours from her and it is 30 min from my house - and at the house she is leaving that hour and a half makes a HUGE difference.

And as a side note - so does RMHPH

I thought they were both in Ohio somewhere. Are they in PA?

We have got to do a big east coast meet up this summer!

Armando
March 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Okay, so we're on for Friday. I'll email my address to those of you who have told me you're on (you know who you are). Feel free to start arriving around 8:00-8:30 or so. We'll be putting little ones to bed around 8:00 (it's Friday, so it's "stay up late" night), but you'll find them both charming and adorable if they're still bounding around.

So say we all!

Fallen
April 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've been offline for a while so I missed this thread, however I am very interested in a DC metro area meetup. Any ideas on another one?

Pike
April 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I've been offline for a while so I missed this thread, however I am very interested in a DC metro area meetup. Any ideas on another one?

Air & Space seems like an obvious venue.

Casilda
April 10th, 2009, 09:25 PM
If it's done after May 8 I might be able to make it up to the city! And drag the (in)famous spouse along!

Starbuccaneer
May 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm planning to go to an early matinee on Friday morning, likely with my girlfriend. If you want to arrange to come down with the 24-hour piglet flu, you should come with us!

Armando
May 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hey school's out, so I could do it...but I fly out for a gig that evening and with both my kids needing to stay home tomorrow, I fear that I will need the day on Friday to catch up on stuff I won't be able to get done tomorrow.

What's the next summer tentpole movie? Isn't "Up" coming out later this month too?