PDA

View Full Version : Podcast advice

Dismal in Denial
November 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I have an idea for a standup comedy related podcast... anybody have any recomendations about hardware/software to use? I'd love to learn from the experience of others...

--- Dismal the standup comedian hack

Pike
November 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
If you can get a recent mac, GarageBand works well.

Dismal in Denial
November 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I've got nine PC's, but no Macs... I can't imagion telling my wife I need another computer... that conversation wouldn't go well...

--- Dismal the henpecked computer-obsessed geek

Dismal in Denial
November 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I've got nine PC's, but no Macs... I can't imagion telling my wife I need another computer... that conversation wouldn't go well...

--- Dismal the henpecked computer-obsessed geek

I feel like I need to explain the 9 computer thing... I'd still like to use one of these boxes to record a podcast... and perhaps use skype to interview comedians on a call-in basis... anybody done that?

1) My main machine at home.
2) My server at home
3) A home PC that serves as a Tivo, recording my shows.
4) The computer the wife and kids use.
5) The laptop my son and I share
6) My Linux laptop at work
7) I didn't like the PC my company issues, so I built my own for my office.
8) The second PC at my office I use to test stuff on (another homegrown PC).
9) My little Sony Picturebook that I occationally travel with (but that died a few weeks ago... so sad)

There... I feel like I've justified my existence...

--- Dismal off-topic and feelin' like he's a little over-wired for one person

Chuck
November 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I think that Pike's advice is sound: a Mac with Garage Band is probably the easiest/cheapest solution. Since I played in bands for years, I came at the technical concept of the podcast from a slightly different direction. Here's what we do, if you're interested:

We record into Pro Tools via a Digidesign 002R and a PC Sean and I built using only hardware from Digidesign's "tested and approved" list. I track each of us independently using Sennheiser 835 mics for Audra and myself and an 825S for Sean. (I tried using my small-diaphragm condensers, but got better sound quality from standard dynamic "vocal" mics with a good EQ job. Their lower sensitivity also helps with track separation with people in the same room -- like we are.)

We bring guests into the system via a JK Audio "Broadcast Host" digital hybrid, which patches into a land line and digitally separates the incoming and outgoing audio. I create an outgoing feed for the "caller" and record the incoming feed to its own track.

After recording, I apply an expander/gate, de-esser, compressor, and EQ to each track, and adjust gain to match levels. I don't always use the same settings, instead tweaking a bit each time to get it just right. Sometimes I also use separate limiters to handle laughter spikes and such. I often use a light limiter on the overall mix to let me boost gain a bit.

Afterwards, I output the final mix to 16/44.1 WAV then convert that to 64k MP3 via a generic LAME converter. I tag it with the description, data, and logo, and it's ready to go.

But I wouldn't recommend this solution for everyone. It's hardware (and time) intensive.

Pike
November 27th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Chuck brings up a good point. Is this a one or multi person 'cast?