PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Childhoods

gahnzz
September 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Well, when Chuck started waxing poetic about explosives from his childhood, I know I had to post a story from years gone by.

Though I was known to blow up my own Star Wars figures, and sometimes my sisters dolls growing up, my best memory revolves around twinkies.

How I came up with this idea, I honestly don't remember, but once it got in my head, there was no getting rid of it.

I was about 10, maybe 11, and I had become enamored with M-80's. I lived a few blocks from a public playground that had a multi-story jungle gym shaped like a large robot. This robot had two large arms that were covered slides that came down from the second story and dumped out into the sand that covered the ground.

My friend Chip & I had a few extra M-80's after a particularly gruesome afternoon that saw the demise of many figures - and Luke's landspeeder. I was in a quest for a big boom, and Chip mentioned that he had blown apart a twinkie a few days prior just to see what would happen.

Fast forward an hour, and we have four M-80's and a box a twinkies in our grasp. We went to the playground, climbed up to the chest of the robot jungle gym and looked down the slide.

The M-80's went inside the box of twinkies, with the fuses tied together. We lit it up and sent it down the covered slide. A few pregnant seconds later, a hollow thud was heard near the bottom of the slide complete with flying orange sponge cake and burnt creme filling shooting out the far end... along with the rancid smell of flaming plastic and cardboard.

I was ground for a month after that stunt. But it was worth it.

TighGetsPunchedALot
September 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM
i bet there are about 50 star wars action figures still buried in the rancor pit me & my friends dug out between the bushes and the porch at my parents house :(

Pike
September 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
ganzz, awesome!

I was big with turpentine and magnifying glasses, but my neighbor was always able to get ahold of the fireworks. Good, good times.

I seriously worry about these kids today. I hope they're just learning more creative methods of blowing stuff up.

Topgun
September 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I had the original Cylon Raider and Viper model kits, looked very nice, well-painted, nice decals. I don't know why, but as soon as I realized I could simply unscrew the hinges from my dad's padlocked cabinet in the basement (the one with the FIRECRACKERS), all my models began to find their way into the woods. I remember that a nice 2001 Space Oddesy Clipper spaceliner and the two BSG's bought it on the same day...boom, boom, look out kid, you'll poke your eye out. Set fire to remaining pieces with leftover matches. Make sure woods aren't on fire. Return to base. Out.
The huge B-24 bomber and the B-17 were next, along with the wonderfully detailed German U-Boat sub. The Seaview flying sub met a similar demise. Tanks, my god, once you built them, they were MADE to hold cottonballs, fireworks, and a little turpentine !! It practically said it in the instructions !! "By leaving the turret unglued, you may stuff this model with a plethora of explosive/flammable material".....
Still got all my fingers, though !!