PDA

View Full Version : Me playing Bass at my school play

mactopia
January 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
I know I am like the only one on GWC who has school plays, but just thought I could show off.:):p. Check it out at my new blog coming soon.

mactopia
January 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
My new blog where you can watch it is http://www.elliotdaniels.blogspot.com

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Nice job guys !! Now get a haircut !! (Sorry, I'm older and that stuff just comes out sometimes !) Wipeout !! I had some trouble loading the video at first, but you sound great ! What are you playing, a Fender bass? And is that a real Les Paul your lead guy is playing, or a copy ?? What are you, all rich in Minn. ??!! Seriously, you all sound very good, that's not an easy song to keep up with. And tell the drummer he's excellent also !
Music is awesome, it's something that once learned, will be with you forever. Keep it up Mac. !

And for the record, at my high school talent show my band and I played "Boom Boom Out Go the Lights" by Pat Travers Band, and "Hell is For Children" by Pat Benatar. We did well, until our lead guitarist (my best friend's little brother) ripped the plug off his amp running around the stage during his solo...a quick thinking roadie (some kid backstage, lol!) plugged him into something else so he could finish..Man, you should have heard the girls screaming when I sang "Boom Boom"...ahh, I'll never forget it.....

Chuck
February 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Cool, indeed! I play bass, too -- it's the only way to go. In my experience, it's usually the bass player who organizes the band, owns the PA, and makes things go. And in pro bands the bass player is the guy who makes plenty of cash and ends up with a great house and a hot significant-other -- but misses out on the falling-apart-in-public-and-having-his/her-sad-story-told-on-Behind The Music.

Is that a Fender? How long have you had it?

Solai
February 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
Everytime I see the title of this thread I imagine Elliot onstage playing a giant fish. :D

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2048/2234750151_86c37031db_o.jpg
I guess this means no encore ?

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
Cool, indeed! I play bass, too -- it's the only way to go. In my experience, it's usually the bass player who organizes the band, owns the PA, and makes things go. And in pro bands the bass player is the guy who makes plenty of cash and ends up with a great house and a hot significant-other -- but misses out on the falling-apart-in-public-and-having-his/her-sad-story-told-on-Behind The Music.

I am really looking forward to a jam session whenever we all get together !! If it looks like it's going to happen we should agree on some songs to practice beforehand !
That would be a total blast, yes ?

Armando
February 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Nice. A very strange school play, though. Kind of Dada. I like it. :-)

By the way, Elliot: now I have "Wipeout" stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, you little frakker! ;-)

Armando
February 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM

You may be right about that, Chuck. Look at the Beatles, for instance. John may be the legend whose life got cut way too short; George may be the spiritual one whose life was also taken too soon; Ringo, well, he's Ringo; and Paul, the bassist? Second wealthiest man in England.

Although of late, what with his second wife being a psycho, he has been fodder for the tabloids hasn't he?

The Lonely Toaster
February 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
Wow, that's terrific bass! (http://www.jibjab.com/view/172241)

mactopia
February 1st, 2008, 10:40 PM
I used a fender J-Bass for this performence. Yes the lead guitarist is using a gibson.

mactopia
February 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Here is just one more easier way to see ithttp://http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKtopOlT1Q

Chuck
February 1st, 2008, 11:50 PM
I played a re-wired frankenbass for a while when I was first getting started, then bought a 5-string Mexican Fender Jazz when I had the funds. I played it for a number of years before I finally sprung for a Modulus Genesis 5 -- which I love, adore, and will play to my grave.

Armando
February 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Chuck, I don't know why I always thought you played the trumpet. What the frak is wrong with me?

mactopia
February 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Chuck, I don't know why I always thought you played the trumpet. What the frak is wrong with me?
I can also play trumpet.

mactopia
February 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
I am an odd Bass player, I use a pick

Chuck
February 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Armando: I played the trumpet throughout high school and college, but picked up the bass afterwards.

mactopia
February 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
I found my love of the bass to become easier because I played violen for awhile.

mactopia
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
People don't realize how easy it is to play bass!

gafra
February 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Very cool. Luv ya work!

gaf

mactopia
February 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I am going to try and upload some more of the play onto youtube

wisebob134
February 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I actually hypothetically play bass, may'be once I get some money I could actually claim I play bass. I use to play drums and was horrible but I blame my band class and society so umm rambleramblerambleramblerambleramblerambleramblera mble.....award pause

mactopia
February 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I got mine at guitar center for $200.00

wisebob134
February 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
yeah I gotta get a job soon I'm operating on $30 bucks at the moment

Chuck
February 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I got my first bass for free from a friend. It was a no-name frankenbass that'd clearly been around the block a few times. I re-wired it with $10 worth of parts from Radio Shack, and later re-drilled neck mount holes and added additional screws when the neck came off. Finally, I tried to re-mount the truss rod so I could adjust it (so notes above the 12th fret would sound), and the neck split. That was the end of the line.

I scraped up my pennies (and my father kicked in a bit) and I bought the Mexican Fender jazz. I still have it, though I play my new one more.

But hell, I learned to play on the frankenbass. No reason to let cash stop you. Hit the pawn shop and grab something for $20. Hit the library and find a book on guitar repair. Spend another $5 on some tools and make it go. One hint for low-buck bassists: find a local pro with a 35" 5-string. You can usually clip their take-off strings for your 34" 4-string. I used to spend all my money on lessons and swipe take-off strings from my instructor.

mactopia
February 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
wow! You sure did ALOT!