PDA

View Full Version : It's been 50 years...

tanstaafl
February 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM
Explorer 1, launched Jan 31, 1957 (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html?firstexplorer).

GalaxyRanger
February 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
I fail to see why this should be cause for celebration or commemoration? I don't wanna rub my European nose in your thread, but ...

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/spacecraft/russia/sputnik.gif

came first.

Pike
February 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
came first.

True, but Explorer took measurements. Sputnik just went 'ping.' :-P

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Larry 1
Somewhere in deep space...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2173/2235280366_a55ee57a71_o.jpg

Larry's Log: Day 1,230,309,000. Heard "All Along the Watchtower" playing on subspace freq for 750,000th time. Once more and I self-destruct. This may be my final entry.

Solai
February 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
Larry 1

<snip>

Larry's Log: Day 1,230,309,000. Heard "All Along the Watchtower" playing on subspace freq for 750,000th time. Once more and I self-destruct. This may be my final entry.

Bwhahahahahahahah!

Armando
February 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Topgun, that was frakking awesome!

Topgun
February 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM
thanks guys..:)

Steve
February 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM
I fail to see why this should be cause for celebration or commemoration? I don't wanna rub my European nose in your thread, but ...

snippage

So we shouldn't celebrate or commemorate anything unless it was the first time it was done?

Does that mean everyone who has climbed Mt. Everest since Hillary shouldn't get a pat on the back or a mention in the newspaper?

The Operator
February 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Larry 1

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2173/2235280366_a55ee57a71_o.jpg

I feel ya Larry - I work very close to the Music Dept at my office....any song that is played that much would make my head explode too...ya poor Cylon bastard

Armando
February 1st, 2008, 03:16 PM
So we shouldn't celebrate or commemorate anything unless it was the first time it was done?

Does that mean everyone who has climbed Mt. Everest since Hillary shouldn't get a pat on the back or a mention in the newspaper?

Damn straight. Who do they think they are?

Next you'll tell me everyone who's landed on the moon who is NOT Neil Armstrong should get some sort of special commendation or something.

SHEESH!

;)

GalaxyRanger
February 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM

Well, I guess you've answered the question yourself. I haven't heard of anyone making headlines with climbing the Mt. Everest since Hillary, except, of course, the Italian Reinhold Messner, who did it without an oxygen supply.
Another case in point: the Moon landings - after Apollo 12, the public was apparently so bored with it that they didn't even broadcast from Apollo 13 until the accident happened...
Now, let's not kid ourselves. The early stages of space exploration were a race - in which national prestige was as much an issue as scientific progress - and Explorer didn't win that race, Sputnik did. Apollo 11 turned everything around for the US, but it's gonna be a while longer until we can celebrate the 50th anniversary of that.
On the other hand, though, if we wanted to celebrate the early age of space exploration in general, we could well include Explorer, as it represents the race and the competition - and, if I might add this thought, doesn't it say a lot about humankind that while the Cold War was raging around the globe, no space project was too expensive to finance or too outlandish to concieve and eventually achieve, whereas now, with the competition gone - what is left of the space programs of the US and other nations that had once been proud explorers of the final frontier? The ISS is a farce and no human being has traveled further than Earth's lower atmosphere for the last thirty years.
You know, come to think of it... we might just want to commemorate Explorer I after all, as a symbol of a bygone age, when humans could still look up at the stars and DREAM.

p.s.: the Larry 1 is hilarious. totally awesome job!