Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: #265: Non-Interference Part II, Chris Hardwick

Gamertag
    starsaber 222
    Twitter
    starsaber_222

Quote Originally Posted by 5thHorseman View Post
    It's been a while, but I seem to recall that in Voyager, the replicator wasn't being used because they were trying to conserve power (which is why Neelix came along. He could cook). During this time, they ran, with seemingly no issues:

The Holodeck.
    The Doctor.
    The transporters.
    The warp engines.

So, I suspect it breaks apart atoms and recombines them. That would be pretty energy-intensive, and is the only thing I think of as being on-par with the transporters. Obviously, the transporters are a bit more mission critical than "tea, Earl Grey, hot" would be.

I don't think it creates matter from energy. Considering they convert matter TO energy to run the engines, they'd need to put as much matter/antimatter into the engines as they pull out of the replicator, plus a bit for entropy. For that large a crew, that'd be a lot of antimatter.
    I think they said the power used by the holodeck was incompatible with their other systems. Doesn't make any sense, but there you go.

Gamertag
    Player 1

Quote Originally Posted by Starsaber View Post
    I think they said the power used by the holodeck was incompatible with their other systems. Doesn't make any sense, but there you go.
    That's how Japan works....
    Arya kills Dumbledore! (p. 513)

Alpaca

Just listening to the Podcast while doing housework, and the interview with the Nerdist is great, so getting a couple of his Podcasts. They have one with Jon Oliver who is my favorite comedian. Thanks. Looks like some great discussion on the Star Trek Episode.

Alpaca
    Lee's Summit, Missouri (Kansas City suburb)

Default Chris Hardwick

I was happy to see Chris as guest. I'm a big fan of his Nerdist podcast. To have two of my favorite podcasts come together in nerdy harmony was so very nice. I finished listening to it while running today and had a big smile on my face.

Thanks Audra (ladies first), Sean, and Chuck for such a wonderful guest and podcast. Please try to get Chris on again!

Twitter
    TheOperatorGWC

In the Pale Moonlight is one of the many reasons DS9 is my favorite Trek series. (Need an arc pleasepleaseplease). Frakkin brilliant episode...

Audrapedia = WIN
    Last edited by The Operator; April 10th, 2011 at 03:54 PM.

The Operator

"You now have the power of Forest Dominance!" - Rev. Sean - cast 287

"Curse your sudden but inevitable suckage!" - Baconface, GWC Meetup 2010

"Salty, wet slapping of GWC goodness" - Sean, Podcast #300

Quote Originally Posted by ThotFullGuy View Post
    ST Enterprise “The Communicator” Nice call back to the ep of TOS when McCoy left his communicator behind on a planet by mistake. Archer goes out of his way to recover the a lost communicator. T’Pol is impressed with Archers willingness to risk his life to do so.
    http://www.startrek.com/database_art...mmunicator-the
    I too was going to mention this episode. I thought it showed a great example of how important it was to maintain a sense of non-interference because of how even an accidental thing like leaving technology, regardless of what kind of technology, behind can have damaging results. This episode (if I remember correctly, it has been a while since I've seen it) had a communicator left behind and found by one group of the native population who believed a faction they were at war with was developing more advanced weaponry, which would have prompted further escalation back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by ThotFullGuy View Post
    Indeed. But it makes me think I should beam down off my high horse about my strict definition of the Prime Directive.

Funny, I was just thinking about the replicator. Someone was talking about gold and diamonds and how they're so valuable.

I was thinking, no wonder there's no need for money in the future. If you can create gold or anything ---there's no scarcity of anything. (But of course you'd need replicator technology).

All that said, it depends on how a replicator works. If I replicator can actually change one chemical element like lead into another like gold, now you're talking.

But perhaps a replicator just works with a set amount of elements and recombines stuff to make different things.
    That is why Latinum is used as the primary currency outside the Federation.... it has some property which makes it impossible to replicate. Gold is no longer of any monetary value because you can make it with a replicator.

Twitter
    klucasm

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I was happy to see Chris as guest. I'm a big fan of his Nerdist podcast. To have two of my favorite podcasts come together in nerdy harmony was so very nice. I finished listening to it while running today and had a big smile on my face.

Thanks Audra (ladies first), Sean, and Chuck for such a wonderful guest and podcast. Please try to get Chris on again!
    Welcome, Jonesy! "Nerdy harmony" is the exact right phrase for the last cast.
    it was biodigital jazz, man

Team Phoenix:

"So far you're on the 'Steal Everyone's Left Shoe' order of Evil, all right?"
    --Sean, on Audra's pathetic attempts at big-E Evil. GWC #262 1:03:26

Gamertag
    silverknight515

Holy spacecrap, I totally missed this one! How did I miss this one? How is it that I hadn't realized that you guys had interviewed Chris freaking Hardwick at any point in time? I must've skimmed past this one in the listings before, but somehow it completely flew under my DRADIS. I've been listening to Nerdist podcasts non-stop for the past year AND read his book, and he is literally my biggest personal real-life hero ever.
    "I've always wanted to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds..."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456