badgerspoon13
    Twitter
    badgerspoon

Default Gargoyles Frak Party

Tuesday, 18 October 2011
    8 PM Eastern - 5 PM Pacific
    (Calculate Time Zone)

Watch on YouTube
    Last edited by BadgerSpoon; October 11th, 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Updated YouTube link to begin at episode 3-11-1

Twitter
    Jonolobster

Default Gargoyles: Gateway Drug For Young Geek

Whenever I hear someone describe a television show they watched during childhood as having had a major influence on who they became as an adult, I usually share my love of Gargoyles with them.

When Gargoyles premiered on the Disney Afternoon on October 24th, 1994, just a few days before my 11th birthday, I had no idea the impact it would have on the course of my life. I just showed up for the action, adventure, and the promise of some pretty cool toys. Today, however, I recognize the effect the show truly had on me. Because of Gargoyles, I'm a history teacher, a sci-fi/fantasy geek, and someone who read Shakespeare's "MacBeth" because they wanted to, not because they were forced to in English class. Gargoyles literally opened up a world of possibilities for me and avenues of interest I may never have discovered otherwise.

For me, Gargoyles was a gateway drug that led to a whole host of future addictions.

Twitter
    klucasm

Quote Originally Posted by Jonolobster View Post
    For me, Gargoyles was a gateway drug that led to a whole host of future addictions.
    For me, Gargoyles was a show that I knew I was not supposed to like and felt embarrassed, maybe even ashamed, that I loved. I was 10, and even 10 year old girls who fight with their sister about whether to watch the Disney channel or TNG reruns when they get home from school, know that Gargoyles is beyond the pale.

Thankfully, I had a 3 year old brother. "Oh, look at this cool show, little bro. It's about gigantic monsters called Gargoyles that are stone during the day and awesome, angsty crime fighters at night! I can see that you love it, so I will watch with you."

Even though my brother's favorite movie at this point in life was Disney's Beauty and the Beast, I invented this narrative. And we watched together, faithfully.

Years later, in college, I finally met another girl who had loved the Gargoyles. She had loved them, perhaps, a little too much. So much that she wrote fanfic. Whatevs, it meant that I got to watch the DVDs!
    it was biodigital jazz, man

Team Phoenix:

"So far you're on the 'Steal Everyone's Left Shoe' order of Evil, all right?"
    --Sean, on Audra's pathetic attempts at big-E Evil. GWC #262 1:03:26

Twitter
    Jonolobster

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuccaneer View Post
    Years later, in college, I finally met another girl who had loved the Gargoyles. She had loved them, perhaps, a little too much. So much that she wrote fanfic.
    I am not ashamed to admit that I was an avid consumer of Gargoyles fanfic.

I also may or may not have an unpublished Gargoyles/X-Files crossover lying around somewhere.

Ah, the halcyon days of the 'Net!

Twitter
    klucasm

I am not ashamed to admit that I was an avid consumer of Gargoyles fanfic.

I also may or may not have an unpublished Gargoyles/X-Files crossover lying around somewhere.

Ah, the halcyon days of the 'Net!
    Monster of the Week or full-on Mulder and Goliath fight crime, become BFFs?

Team Phoenix:

Twitter
    Kikirowan

When Gargoyles premiered on the Disney Afternoon on October 24th, 1994, just a few days before my 11th birthday, I had no idea the impact it would have on the course of my life. I just showed up for the action, adventure, and the promise of some pretty cool toys. Today, however, I recognize the effect the show truly had on me.

Well, I was quite a bit older than that when it premiered, but it had that same kind of hold on me. Also, with all the ST:TNGers in the voice cast, along with Salli Richardson, who was a couple years ahead of me in my high school, and cool stories, I was hooked.
    So many books, so little time.

Twitter
    fast_cart

Started.

lb
    "My chest bounces like David Hasselhoff's when I hit a bump on my cart." - Me, midnight Oct 27th, 2009

Achievements:
    Awarded The Chief for technical excellence and correctness in #206
    Shout out from the Crew in #204
    Completed the only Sci Fi Fantasy League trade with HeadHunter on Jan 21st, 2010
    Confused the frak out of the GWC community by posting "Gentle Uterus" on Dec 16th, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DU9sQi_wnQ

Started a Gentle Uterus signature virus (Hi LordCorbin!)

Twitter
    Kikirowan

Mazza's car looks a bit like the Ghostbusters ambulance.
    So many books, so little time.

Twitter
    Jonolobster

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuccaneer View Post
    Monster of the Week or full-on Mulder and Goliath fight crime, become BFFs?
    A little of both: The Gargs are the XF monsters of the week. Bluestone and Mulder bond over conspiracy theories. Scully learns about Garg physiology, etc. Picks up after "Hunter's Moon," the end of the second season.

Twitter
    klucasm

Claw marks?

Team Phoenix:

Page 1 of 211 1231151101 ... LastLast