Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tory's relationship to the Fabulous Four, post-Six of one

Default Tory's relationship to the Fabulous Four, post-Six of one

For me one of the most… um… disturbing moments was the Tory arc in this episode (Six of one) - when Tigh, Anders, and Chief (but if I remember correctly, mostly just Tigh) suggest she needs to sleep with Baltar for information because she’s the woman of the group, and she, painfully in my eyes, does so. This strikes me as out of character for the writing of the show when it comes for women. Is it consistent with what we see in the world of Galactica? Discuss.

I agree that it seems out of character and I also found it disturbing. I'm gonna need to rewatch before I can say more though.

Also frakked up that it's Tigh. Ellen's attempts at sexual espionage didn't particularly work out well for them, did it?

Default Tory frakking Baltar

Well, Tigh didn't say she had to - he said she didn't have to - then she did anyway.

Putting myself in her shoes (as a woman) - as repulsive as Baltar can be, if I were in Tory's situation I'd probably be desperate to do anything that could get me some answers as to who I was and what the frak was going on - you go Mati Hari!!!
    'How many big-slug-woman-chained-up videos have you seen? Is there a market for that . . .?" -Sean, GWC

I hate to say it, but it's not so out-of-character for Tigh. He's very willing to have other people do horrible things to themselves to get what he wants (ex: suicide bombers on NC). Any way you slice it, Tigh, Tyrol, and Anders essentially pimping Tory is incredibly disturbing, but I think the writers and actors did a decent job of showing just how wrong and awful it is that the male Final Fivers are making Tori do this.

Gamertag
    MightyPoohbah
    Twitter
    SolaiGWC

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    For me one of the most… um… disturbing moments was the Tory arc in this episode (Six of one) - when Tigh, Anders, and Chief (but if I remember correctly, mostly just Tigh) suggest she needs to sleep with Baltar for information because she’s the woman of the group, and she, painfully in my eyes, does so. This strikes me as out of character for the writing of the show when it comes for women. Is it consistent with what we see in the world of Galactica? Discuss.
    I see this in an opposite way. In this society sex doesn't have the puritanical baggage that our society has. Asking someone to have sex with someone is like asking someone to help you move out of an apartment. The only reason Tory was asked is yes, she is a woman, and because Baltar fancies women she is the natural choice.

Quote Originally Posted by littleimp View Post
    Putting myself in her shoes (as a woman) - as repulsive as Baltar can be, if I were in Tory's situation I'd probably be desperate to do anything that could get me some answers as to who I was and what the frak was going on - you go Mati Hari!!!
    Has anybody else seen the movie, Lust, Caution? It's about a Mata Hari of sorts, but it shows how thoroughly frakked up playing a Mata Hari can make a person. I don't think I'm saying it quite right, but with the crying scene, it just felt to me that at least the writers were acknowledging that, the ugly, harmful side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solai View Post
    Asking someone to have sex with someone is like asking someone to help you move out of an apartment.
    Interesting choice of metaphor - both get you sweaty and tired, I guess . . . why haven't more people jumped at the chance to help me move, I wonder???
    'How many big-slug-woman-chained-up videos have you seen? Is there a market for that . . .?" -Sean, GWC

Alpaca

well, in the bsg world - there are a number of examples of women using sex to get information/access/ or other goals...

ellen sleeping with cavil to get tigh freed from detention on new caprica
    caprica six using sex to gain baltar's ...um...trust...(we see how well that went...)
    sharon/athena sleeping with helo to gain his trust....at least initially..on caprica

at least in the case of ellen, i figure it was her idea. can't say for six or sharon...

as for tory. the out of character for the show is that it is not HER idea to do this...and as for tigh...it seems totally in his character to suggest she sleep with baltar...after all..ellen would have done this...

tory seems really lost in this episode, trying to figure out who she is. i think that might be what drove her to do something so out of character and emotionally painful, even though it is for a supposedly greater purpose...but that they show her crying while having sex with baltar, i thought this was well done and totally in character with her and the writing for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Solai View Post
    I see this in an opposite way. In this society sex doesn't have the puritanical baggage that our society has. Asking someone to have sex with someone is like asking someone to help you move out of an apartment. The only reason Tory was asked is yes, she is a woman, and because Baltar fancies women she is the natural choice.
    Well, there's puritanical, and then there's just being a bit selective with your bed partners.

So, Dee would've gotten just as upset over Lee and Kara moving furniture as she did over them for hooking up (and Lee upset with Kara for frakking Baltar, etc)?
    Last edited by Kappa; April 11th, 2008 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by casilda View Post
    ... Tigh) suggest she needs to sleep with Baltar for information because she’s the woman of the group, and she, painfully in my eyes, does so. This strikes me as out of character for the writing of the show when it comes for women. Is it consistent with what we see in the world of Galactica?
    It didn't feel right on several levels -- but it did seem in character for Tigh to suggest it - remember what his wife was like and what she did for him? And Tigh had said she didn't have to sleep with him, just attract him and get some information. She slept with him on her own. That's the part that felt wrong.

What I didn't like was the way Baltar, with no investigation or questioning, seems to buy into the "one true God" religion. He's not much of a scientist for a super-scientist. Even if he's figured out the whole god-thing is a good way to get laid I don't see him starting to speak on God's plans and doings just yet unless he doesn't believe it.

Another thing that seemed wrong to me was when Caprica 6 gave the toaster Cylons free will by removing something. Since when do you have to give a robot something akin to free-will and then take it away by adding another device. Why build them with that kind of free-will function in the first place if its a problem?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast