Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.02 0–8–4 **** SPOILERS ****

Gamertag
    GopherGooGuru
    Twitter
    ShooterGWC

Default Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.02 0–8–4

Episode Summary from en.wikipedia.org:

Skye is now integrated into Coulson's team as a consultant. Their next assignment is in Peru, tracking a "0-8-4", a S.H.I.E.L.D. prefix for "an object of unknown origin". Once there, the team quickly realizes that the object is actually a piece of forgotten HYDRA technology powered by Tesseract energy. Coulson meets with a former ally, Camilla Reyes (Leonor Varela) and brings her onboard the team plane. Later, Reyes betrays Coulson and plans to take the HYDRA weapon for herself so she can take over Peru. The squabbling team members band together, utilizing each of their talents, and save the day. Skye receives a text message from another member of the Rising Tide and confirms her allegiance to them. Afterwards, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) scolds Coulson for the damage to the plane.

Please use this thread to discuss the series' second overall and first season second episode 0-8-4. Rule: Please keep spoilers limited to those revealed during the series up to this episode only.
    Last edited by Shooter; November 18th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Mal “The wheel never stops turning, Badger.”
    Badger “That only matters to the people on the rim.”

Firefly, “Serenity” 2002

----

DefaultProphet: "Tron is a Superhero" Twitter March 2, 2011 http://twitter.com/#!/DefaultProphet...12010703048704

----

Gamertag
    starsaber 222
    Twitter
    starsaber_222

I strongly suspected the cameo at the end based on a promo for the episode, but it was still nice.

EDIT: Also, should these threads go in Whedonverse?
    Last edited by Starsaber; October 1st, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

I liked the way the team finally pulled together against a common foe. And I sort of chuckled at how the show turned into a Warehouse 13 episode, only instead of locking away dangerous objects; they launch them into the sun... I sense that Skye is going to find herself very strongly conflicted in the future, she will need to chose a side. And we saw a bit of what Shooter pointed out earlier, Ward's being 'too healthy'. Good episode, and I want to see more of Coulsen's collection.
    My Patronus is a Chocobo.

Gamertag
    MightyPoohbah
    Twitter
    SolaiGWC

...brace yourself, moving thread into WHEDONVERSE...

I should have known better to prematurely find fault because the second episode promptly mocks my obvious criticisms of the pilot. This week squarely faced the dubious wisdom of having kids on a freaking giant plane. By the end, Coulson's (the producer's) confidence in his team (their choice of cast) is vindicated.

We learn that the Rising Tide is more of a Disney Marvel version of a secrecy resisting Wiki Leaks/99% populist movement and not just a solo act by Skye. She partially persuades Ward that this can be a good thing. So it's no surprise when cliffhanger reveal shows she is only half won over by Coulson and is still half a Rising Tide mole with loyalties divided.

"Oh, Phil. You're not even aware. Your renewed idealism, your collectibles, your airborne man cave, surrounding yourself with young, attractive agents: you're having a mid-life crisis. And I'm not going to even mention the red Corvette.

More an afterlife thing, really."

Of course, the show is nothing but aware and supremely genre savvy. All hail the Whedons. And what is this? Does Coulson know what is he not supposed to know, "can never know." That he died, not heart stopped resuscitated dead, but dead dead. It's beginning to look like Tahiti is not a false implanted memory but a Magical Place(TM) of S.H.I.E.L.D. secret project resurrection technology... or where Dr. Strange is... or insert favorite fan theory.

Now, if only next week's episode makes fun of Skye's hair.

Ow, ow, owwww. ABC got hammered Tuesday night across the board in prime time. "On ABC, the second episode of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. earned a 3.1 adults 18-49 rating down 34 percent from last week’s 4.7." - tvbtn: TV Ratings Tuesday
    Last edited by ThPrime; October 2nd, 2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: ratings plummet
    Pass the Sugar in 2013: Any Highway You Want

Gamertag
    The5thHorseman
    Twitter
    WesleyC

How come, when someone yells "get down" (in any language) the only people who actually get down are the people working for them?

If I was one of them Seal Team guys assaulting a terrorist base and one of the terrorists yelled "Get down!" I think I might just hit the deck.
    Check out Pulp Audio Weekly, where middle aged geeks talk about crap they like!
    Read my book, The Log of the Crimson Lien.

Twitter
    regwysocki

I like the show so far. Not too keen on the characters of Skye and Ward just yet. But how awesome is May? Do people who are already familiar with this Universe know who the Cavalry is? They keep making a reference to May being a part of that, but I don't know what that is in reference too. Why did she have a desk job then? I suppose these questions will be answered at some point in the season. Coulson of course is fantastic. I cried when his character died in the Avengers movie. I'm curious to know what really happened...
    "The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena."
    ~Carl Sagan

This piece of art is: ODDBALL APPROVED!!

Six Seasons and a Movie!

OB

Marvel Database: Melinda May - "First appearance "Pilot""

She's a blank slate so speculate away - any guess is right until an episode says otherwise.

In the comics, it is a cliche/tradition that some of the most deadly S.H.I.E.L.D. agents embroiled in Really Big Events have been females with desks - field agents also holding administrative roles. Likewise whatever happened to May in the past will no doubt be suitably huge in the film/television universe.
    Pass the Sugar in 2013: Any Highway You Want

Gamertag
    starsaber 222
    Twitter
    starsaber_222

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I like the show so far. Not too keen on the characters of Skye and Ward just yet. But how awesome is May? Do people who are already familiar with this Universe know who the Cavalry is? They keep making a reference to May being a part of that, but I don't know what that is in reference too. Why did she have a desk job then? I suppose these questions will be answered at some point in the season. Coulson of course is fantastic. I cried when his character died in the Avengers movie. I'm curious to know what really happened...
    I'm guessing something big happened during her last mission before the show that caused her to not want to do field work any more, so she transferred to a desk job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast