Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.06 FZZT **** SPOILERS ****

Gamertag
    GopherGooGuru
    Twitter
    ShooterGWC

Quote Originally Posted by Solai View Post
    Overall I have really, really enjoyed this series. Each episode stands out on its own, brings something different to the table and has something it needs to work on.
    The series isn't totally grabbing me yet. I like it. I've watched every episode multiple times, but it still doesn't have me as a whole. Coulson has me and May is starting to turn me around to her (no small feat since I had a definite negative impression of Ming-Na from Stargate Universe) but Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't have me yet. I'll keep watching and hoping for more.

SHIELD's ratings continue to decline. It was down to a 7.15 this week bringing the season average down to 8.5. While that's certainly better than most SyFy network shows I'm not sure if is enough to compete on Network prime time. It is fairing better than V did, however. At this point in the series V took a nosedive from a 7.03 to 5.79 rating but it did have a higher average rating of 9.39. I am hopeful that the upcoming Thor tie-in will help increase ratings in order to maintain the show in ABC's stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Solai View Post
    The only thing I think this episode got wrong was the floaty virus...wait, why do they float? More importantly, what does floating do to forward the plot? It doesn't. It was cool and different, but didn't add and therefore wasn't needed.
    Good observation. The only plot issues that I can see that might counter you point is that the floating piece is what attract's SHIELD and specifically Coulson's team in the first place. The floating also helps to diagnose a false-negative at the end when Fitz-Simmons think they have the antiserum and Simmons is running out of time leading towards her stepping off the bus in flight. So it may help forward the plot from a certain minute point of view.
    Mal “The wheel never stops turning, Badger.”
    Badger “That only matters to the people on the rim.”

Firefly, “Serenity” 2002

----

DefaultProphet: "Tron is a Superhero" Twitter March 2, 2011 http://twitter.com/#!/DefaultProphet...12010703048704

----

Gamertag
    GopherGooGuru
    Twitter
    ShooterGWC

Quote Originally Posted by dxf View Post
    I just had a Twitter exchange with a medium-time TV critic about SHIELD.

I think the guy has an unrealistic sense of entitlement, and he's expecting too much too soon. He said something like "We shouldn't accept a mediocre show due to a sense of geek gratitude."

I see where he's coming from, and his general theory is sound. But they're now pawning some mediocre show on us. It doesn't matter what you're making; it takes time to get the product going. Especially when you have as many intangibles and moving parts as a TV show does.

Yes, SHIELD is a Whedon show, but it's not exactly a Joss Whedon show. It has the Dollhouse team, and I believe that's what we're getting: Dollhouse, not Firefly. They also did Dr. Horrible, and that was great from the get-go. But let's be reasonable: It takes time to get the vibe, mythology, and everything else up & running. Buffy season 1? Meh. Dollhouse season 1? Boo, for the most part. They'll get there.

Also, I'm not gonna make a SHIELF joke; that would just be base and crude.

Also, ya know whut? It's good genre fare to watch with your kids.
    Yup - even Star Trek The Next Generation didn't get reasonably good until Season 3 Episode 15 - Yesterday's Enterprise. I'm willing to give it some time and just hope it hangs on long enough to strike it rich with the ratings and allow the production team time to start giving us really good story.

Firefly, “Serenity” 2002

----

DefaultProphet: "Tron is a Superhero" Twitter March 2, 2011 http://twitter.com/#!/DefaultProphet...12010703048704

----

Twitter
    MikeG_3

If you didn't stand up and cheer at this line you are dead to me.
    What if you just laughed like an idiot?

"I can do this all day." -Steve Rogers
    "The truth points to itself" - Kosh, Babylon 5, "In the Beginning"

Gamertag
    MightyPoohbah
    Twitter
    SolaiGWC

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    That's just, like, your opinion man ...
    Touché Monsieur Pussycat, touché.

Quote Originally Posted by dxf View Post
    I just had a Twitter exchange with a medium-time TV critic about SHIELD.

I think the guy has an unrealistic sense of entitlement, and he's expecting too much too soon. He said something like "We shouldn't accept a mediocre show due to a sense of geek gratitude."
    If this tv critic's complaint made sense people would stop watching. Yes, the numbers have dropped but they are still strong. What was the best BSG got? 4.0? I think we are doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Good observation. The only plot issues that I can see that might counter you point is that the floating piece is what attract's SHIELD and specifically Coulson's team in the first place. The floating also helps to diagnose a false-negative at the end when Fitz-Simmons think they have the antiserum and Simmons is running out of time leading towards her stepping off the bus in flight. So it may help forward the plot from a certain minute point of view.
    You are completely right of course. I hadn't considered the total arc impact of the floaty bit. Still weak, but it is the catalyst.

Gamertag
    The5thHorseman
    Twitter
    WesleyC

I liked it. Good one-off with some great character moments. They can't all be steeped in the season- and series-spanning arcs.

I too wish Fitz had jumped out, but I love how quickly Wade did it. Like he was relieved he finally had something to do.

I suspect this would not have been episode 6 if they didn't get picked up for more episodes. We'll probably see bits of what would have been that episode in the season finale or something. This is probably the first of the "if we get more episodes" episodes, and possibly the need to get it made quickly is why it has no ties into the greater arcs of the show. And I'm fine with that. It was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to watching episode 7 in a few minutes
    Check out Pulp Audio Weekly, where middle aged geeks talk about crap they like!
    Read my book, The Log of the Crimson Lien.

Gamertag
    GopherGooGuru
    Twitter
    ShooterGWC

Default Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.06 FZZT **** SPOILERS ****

Quote Originally Posted by 5thHorseman View Post
    I liked it. Good one-off with some great character moments. They can't all be steeped in the season- and series-spanning arcs.

I too wish Fitz had jumped out, but I love how quickly Wade did it. Like he was relieved he finally had something to do.

I suspect this would not have been episode 6 if they didn't get picked up for more episodes. We'll probably see bits of what would have been that episode in the season finale or something. This is probably the first of the "if we get more episodes" episodes, and possibly the need to get it made quickly is why it has no ties into the greater arcs of the show. And I'm fine with that. It was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to watching episode 7 in a few minutes
    I think your observations on the original episode 6 are spot on. Without spoiling, Episode 7 brought a couple of the larger story arcs forward but only a little bit. I think the show staff is doing a fast and dramatic shift to try and make a great additional 14 episodes while still plugging into the movies such as Thor that is out in the theater now and the upcoming Captain America movie.

As for Fitz, watch episode 7. That should answer your comment on whether he should have jumped out of The Bus or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firefly, “Serenity” 2002

----

----

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12