Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tory became a monster quicker than I thought

Quote Originally Posted by KLCtheBookWorm View Post
    I totally agree with that. And that ruthlessness has been hinted to being part of Tory's make-up. How fast did she jump to rigging an election after all?
    Remember who helped her, too. Tigh.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

"That which holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel."

Twitter
    DawnAZGWC

I'm glad to see the Cally Haters aren't gloating too much here. The episode was sad on many levels. I need to rewatch it again, because I didn't feel very grounded in Cally's storyline with the pills. I remember many nights caring for an infant who wakes you up all night and what that does to you over time, so I felt a lot of empathy for her. I don't think she wanted to harm herself or Nikki either. I would have preferred to see her go out strong and brave, as she's been so many times before, but I don't disagree with her death. It really raises the sakes.

I feel badly for Chief and I fear he will fall prey to Tory in his grief. She is very scary now, all the more because we know so little about her. With the others we have a default setting.

So far the season is living up to all it's promises. It's going to be a bumpy ride!
    "You know Fred, I've always believed that our futures lie outside the world of academic achievement."
    George Weasley- Order of the Phoenix movie

My blog- Method to the Madness-
    http://dawnmaria.com/

Quote Originally Posted by coco View Post
    See what frakking Baltar does to a cylon?
    Caprica Six got all religious and nutty after sleeping with Baltar.
    Gina killed herself (and a bunch of others on cloud nine) after doing the deed with Baltar.
    Three got BOXED after the menage a trois.
    And now Tory's all slutty and homicidal.
    You might have a point. The only Cylon model that hasn't slept with Baltar is the Boomer line (the 8s I think) and they seem to wander around in a cloud of smiling, blissful ignorance.

I was surprised at how Tory casually threw Cally to the floor: she just raised her hand, and whacked the girl no less than three meters away. I wonder if Tory really knew she had it in her, or if her sudden Cylon-ness kicked in and the hit was subconscious?

From a Cylon-POV, Cally was a threat. Tory noticed that the cross-space was open, put two and two together, and Cally was the natural suspect for eavesdropping. Still, knocking Cally unconscious, taking the baby and throwing Cally out the airlock was pretty callous. And Tory waited for Cally to wake up before she opened the airlock.

Is it just me, or does it seem that Tory's absolutely savoring the knowledge that she's someone 'different' now? I was bothered by what she told the Chief about 'being free' and 'experiencing new things' while they were in the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What I find interesting is Tigh's comment about Chief's "Cylon-hating wife." Not all that long ago, I'm thinking Tigh would have been passing Cally more ammunition to kill Cylons with. This shows me that Tigh has already "changed sides" so to speak. He's thinking more like a Cylon than a human no matter what fancy speech he gave at the end of The-Episode-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.
    Well, Tigh always did seem to talk that way - what he said offhand while they were in the weapons locker seemed a very Tigh-like comment: "Your Cylon-hating wife.. skinjobs, and one of them's her husband!" I remember when he was explaining to Roslin about his motives for sending Duck on a suicide bomber mission on New Caprica. Even then, Tigh has always been very caustic when he says something.
    "Love wins. Love always wins."

"..We've got those t-shirt tubes..and shoot them all over the world..send some of them to Tesseract.." Audra (and Chuck), #102, 1:46:44. OH MY GOD they mentioned me! Squee!

Twitter
    bkittysd

Default The Tory-nator

Tory never was ethical. If she wasn't as a human, why would she be as a cylon?

She is drunk on the power of the baseline change she sees in herself. A sober person has reason and social taboos for guidelines to behavior. A drunk person is freed of those inhibitions.

This is Tory as she always was. Uninhibited, she is realizing her terrible potential.

Drunk or sober, a person is accountable for his/her actions. The only difference in decision-making is the amount of personal/social inhibition.

She is who she alway was with NO BRAKES!

I have a feeling she may be "stopped" by one of the others. Possibly Tyrol? He flat out said he doesn't take change well. Once he recovers from the shock, and eventually finds out the truth, what will he do?

This incident makes Chief a wild card.
    Last edited by bkitty; April 20th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

You MUST eat me. -Gryper: via skype 12/19/10

WOLVERINES!!
    *fwump*

Quote Originally Posted by bkitty View Post

She is drunk on the power of the baseline change she sees in herself. A sober person has reason and social taboos for guidelines to behavior. A drunk person is freed of those inhibitions.

This is Tory as she always was. Uninhibited, she is realizing her terrible potential.

Drunk or sober, a person is accountable for his/her actions. The only difference in decision-making is the amount of personal/social inhibition.

She is who she alway was with NO BRAKES!

I have a feeling she may be "stopped" by one of the others. Possibly Tyrol? He flat out said he doesn't take change well. Once he recovers from the shock, and eventually finds out the truth, what will he do?

This incident make Chief a wild card.
    Many have opined that Tory is not long for this (or any other) world. Go with The Last Supper photo - if a notable character is not there, he/she is history - Cally, Tori, Dee, Gaeta. Which is not to say that all who are pictured will make it to the closing credits.

SPEAKING OF TORI - How convenient for the Cylons that Billy died, opening up the job of Madam President's #1 assistant. Help out an old timer - looking back on it, is there anything "suspicious" about Billy's death?

Gamertag
    Starbuk da Grey
    Twitter
    Geekychikc314

Quote Originally Posted by NormanDoering View Post
    As long as they're in hiding they're at least not committed to the human side.
    I have to disagree. I think it's more out of fear that they hide. Chief was obviously worried about Cally finding out. Humans HATE the cylons, with Athena being the exception for some. If they go public, what's preventing them from sharing a cell with Caprica 6 or getting shot in the gut by some one who hates cylons. How do you tell people that you've lived with, loved & known for years that you're a cylon & have been from the start, but you weren't aware of it until a few days ago?
    I am not allowed to spell Colonel Tigh's name "T-G-H" and claim "the Cylons took the I," as it is cruel and not remotely funny.*
    * Okay, so it's hilarious. It's still cruel.

I am not required to perform any of my duties naked.

*No, not even the Tai Chi moves Lt. Agathon taught me

Not allowed to put mustard in Lt. Costanza's flight suit.
    *Or ketchup

Quote Originally Posted by bkitty View Post
    Was Tory ever a human? If she was Cylon from the beginning that's how they made her, hiding her true identity until they wanted her activated. If she was always Cylon and not replaced by one, then yes, this side of her has always been there. Unlike Boomer, it doesn't seem to bother her. I think she's happy to be playing for the other side now.

Still, trying to steal an election isn't the same as murder. Also, the motives for stealing that election were, supposedly, for the "greater good." And Tigh, another secret Cylon, helped her try to steal it, so maybe there was a "greater evil" behind the good hidden unconsciously in their intent from the beginning. Killing Cally wasn't for any greater (or human) good. It just protects the hidden Cylons.

And a drunk may be deprived of reason, social taboos and inhibitions, but Tory still has plenty of reason and purpose, though certain social taboos, inhibitions and moral sentiments seem to be gone. And that reason and purpose seem to revolve around Cylon goals she wasn't directly informed of, like saving hybrid babies.

Saying a person is accountable for his/her actions assumes there is someone to hold you to account. And who, exactly is going to hold Tory to account? Indeed, from where we sit as viewers, Chief could go either way. You hope, on some level, that he still has some humanity left, but deep down you know you want more scares and conflict. If their problems can be resolved simply by Cheif holding onto his humanity, then you'd start getting bored with Galactica.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    I have to disagree. I think it's more out of fear that they hide.
    So what? Fear is what motivated Baltar not to tell who the Cylons were when he detected Boomer. He was aftraid they'd kill him. Even when Boomer was all conflicted and trying to shoot herself, she wound up going all Manchurian candidate and shooting Adama.

Why do you think fear is an excuse? Because you think the simple, pathetic lives they lead are worth more than the future of humanity?

The longer they hide, the more dangerous they become. They should welcome prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    Chief was obviously worried about Cally finding out. Humans HATE the cylons, with Athena being the exception for some. If they go public, what's preventing them from sharing a cell with Caprica 6 or getting shot in the gut by some one who hates cylons. How do you tell people that you've lived with, loved & known for years that you're a cylon & have been from the start, but you weren't aware of it until a few days ago?
    You start recording those meetings where they talk about how to deal with being a Cylon and then when you think things have gone too far, you turn the tapes over to Adama and show him what you've become.

Alpaca
    British Isles. Impossible to be more specific at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Tory had to save the hybrid boy. For all the obvious reasons.
    While it has been widely remarked that Tory's actions toward Cally were "rational", yet murderous, her reason for saving Nicky aren't at all obvious to me.

The easiest, or rational thing to do would to have let events take their course - with Cally and Nicky being blown out of the launch tubes. No explanation for returning Nicky required. Bish bash bosh, as they say.

This didn't happen. She stepped into the 'lock and saved the kid. Why?

She has not received orders. Last time we checked, the remaining six still didn't know who the final five were. Could she ( and the rest of the final five ) have an innate need to preserve Cylon life? An inability to see it destroyed?

Some things point to this. Goo-hybrid mentioned something along the lines of "they will not harm their own". Anders couldn't fire on a Raider in the first episode of the season. Tory's choices at the end of this episode may strengthen this case.

A lesser case can be made for her emerging lust for the Chief. Cally out of the way creates an opening, but trust me, you get far less frakking done when there are kids in your quarters

Whatever the reason, she risked her own life to save the child. Whatever else Tory is ( and I for one cannot wait to find out ), she isn't completely self-serving.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast