Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gaius Baltar Award for Moral Cowardice

Default The Gaius Baltar Award for Moral Cowardice

I came across this hilarious bit from an interview with James Callis in the Onion (the serious part):

I don't know if you've seen this, but in the newspaper, did you read this thing about this guy in China? I think that there should be a Gaius Baltar Award for Moral Cowardice given out to people every year. And this man—it's just, seriously, reading it, I was like, "Christ, this guy is Gaius Baltar!" He's a schoolteacher. The earthquake hits. And he said, "Stay still, everybody, you'll be fine," and just ran! He ran for his life, without any of the kids who he's supposed to be looking after. And the miracle of it is that the earthquake didn't touch his school in the same way. He went back to the class, and they're all alive, thank God. And they were like, "But teacher, why did you run away?" And his replies are just extraordinary. It's like, "I'm not a brave man. I am a coward. And in situations like this, it's every man for himself. I don't really feel very guilty, because I didn't cause the earthquake, and quite frankly, if it had been my own mother sat next to me, I would have left her as well."
    http://www.avclub.com/content/interv...lacticas_james

Who else should be nominated for the Gaius Baltar Award for Moral Cowardice?

Thats really kinda sad
    98.32% of GWC claims to support Larry, but 1.68% will put this in their signature.

Gamertag
    Defalt Prophet
    Twitter
    DefaultProphet

.....and The Baltar Goes Toooooooooo

gwcaudra @DefaultProphet Besides, having freeze-framed it I now know it wasn't even full dong. It was top half, profile, in shadow. Lame! 12/03/2009 via Twitter

The situation is sad, and thank goodness everything turned out alright. But I find the idea of naming an award for cowards after Baltar to be pretty funny.

Coming from a family of educators, I can completely understand the urge to have your pupils buried under a pile of rocks.

41° 51' 32.36" N 80° 42' 28.34" W (Give Or Take)
    Twitter
    alpacaherder

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyRanger View Post
    Coming from a family of educators, I can completely understand the urge to have your pupils buried under a pile of rocks.
    Agreed. The guy is still deserving of a Baltar trophy, though. The problem is...what would that trophy look like?

Gamertag
    Defalt Prophet
    Twitter
    DefaultProphet

The fragile frakin body of Gaius Baltar

gwcaudra @DefaultProphet Besides, having freeze-framed it I now know it wasn't even full dong. It was top half, profile, in shadow. Lame! 12/03/2009 via Twitter

if this guy gets laid as much as Guis does, I'll be really mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Raynor View Post
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George pushes women and children out of the way to escape a fire.

And, despite all his (many) failings, George did seem to get quite an inexplicable quantity of tail - just like Gaius.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Raynor View Post
    I've got a nominee noted on my blog:
    http://normdoering.blogspot.com/2008...cowardice.html

The SF Gate has this article, "Killer dad said he had to 'get the demons' out," that mentions the fact that some drivers passed by as they watched a man kicking and stomping a two year old to death. How do you watch a guy kick around a small child and not do anything? I wonder how many rubber-neckers drove by and didn't do anything? Why not take a tire iron to the guy's face so he stops kicking his son? How do you stand there and watch a man beat a toddler to death?

I'd like to nominate everyone who drove by that scene and did nothing with a Gaius Baltar Award for Moral Cowardice.
    My blog:
    http://normdoering.blogspot.com/

"Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    -- Frederich Nietsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast