Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Theories Round-Up Before Season 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by WashIsMyHero View Post
    This, I believe, is the Kara-the-White theory.
    I kind of like this theory, Gandalf and the other Istari, Wizards or Maiar were sent to middle earth to aid men and elves for the time when Sauron would return. Galdalf was one of Five wizards that came to middle Earth, the others being Saruman, Radagast, and two others (in typical Tolkien fashion the unnamed two were said to have traveled to the lands of the East and of whom further tales were told).

When we look at the roles that the Final Five have taken they help the colonial's in their quest for Earth, a parallel can be drawn between the Final Five and the five Wizards sent to guide men and elves.

Tori like Saruman has turned her back on her duty to help humans; instead Tori much as Saruman has started her quest for power.

There is a similarity between the death of Kara and that of Gandalf. Because Gandalf had willingly sacrificed himself and in so doing had placed his fate in the hands of a higher power, Eru (or Ilúvatar being that created middle Earth) sent him back to Middle-earth to complete his task. He became Gandalf the White, greater in wisdom and power. Kara whilst speaking with the being that looked like Leoben (remember he never said he was Leoben) in effect turned herself over to a higher power there by sacrificing herself. Now when Kara returned in the new Viper telling Lee that everything would be alright and she would lead them to earth I did get a bit of a twinge Gandalf saying “I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now - at the turn of the tide.”

Quote Originally Posted by NormanDoering View Post
    I really doubt whether they'll introduce a god of any kind that isn't a technological man/machine-made one.

I will be disappointed if they do.

The strange visions and seeming miracles will probably be explained by some mix of psychology and pseudo-quantum weirdness in man's relationship to space/time.
    Personally I love the spiritual ideas behind the show, and I think there is a supernatural influence in the BSG universe. There is just too much going on that defies a natural/mechanical explaination.

"psychology and pseudo-quantum weirdness in man's relationship to space/time" sounds far too unlikely and fantastic to me.
    i've broke my back, I'll never jump again

Gamertag
    Atari 2600
    Twitter
    frakkintalos

Quote Originally Posted by iGhost View Post
    Personally I love the spiritual ideas behind the show, and I think there is a supernatural influence in the BSG universe. There is just too much going on that defies a natural/mechanical explaination.

"psychology and pseudo-quantum weirdness in man's relationship to space/time" sounds far too unlikely and fantastic to me.
    I can't shake the feeling that the Head folk are going to be huge in the finale. I think that's when we'll find out who/what they are. I also think that's the reveal they'll leave til the end.

I had a theory in another thread about their connection to our Earth. I just can't put it all together and make it work without it being lame.

The whole message of the series has been, "Is humanity worth saving?" So, I think the writers will end the series on our Earth with some final statement about our culture. I think the Head folk will be involved in that. I know it's far-fetched but something that has been swirling around in the vacuum I call my head.

Quote Originally Posted by frakkintalos View Post
    I think the writers will end the series on our Earth with some final statement about our culture.

Yes, I think so too.

Twitter
    gwensdad

Default Just had a wacky thought

What if the 5th cylon were President Adar? He could have easily set things up on the Colonial side to make it easy for what happened. And he's someone we've seen before and the characters know (and we never saw a body)
    "Do BSG fans really call them frak parties? Do they Pressgang people into good food and alcohol? This is really really concerning. I had no idea that BSG fans were this depraved. Where do I sign up?"
    TMTL-DWOWhocast #122
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " wavilyem on twitter 7/20/09
    WINNER! 2012 Solai birthday trivia contest

Gamertag
    Atari 2600
    Twitter
    frakkintalos

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad2003 View Post
    What if the 5th cylon were President Adar? He could have easily set things up on the Colonial side to make it easy for what happened. And he's someone we've seen before and the characters know (and we never saw a body)
    I'm going with Gaeta is the Final Cylon.

Just kiddin'. All the clues lead to him, so therefore can't be him.

Twitter
    missmuffet730

Quote Originally Posted by frakkintalos View Post
    I'm going with Gaeta is the Final Cylon.

Just kiddin'. All the clues lead to him, so therefore can't be him.
    I don't know - he's not as obvious as Baltar. I think that Baltar is the only person on the series that actually makes perfect sense as the final cylon. Which is probably why he isn't.
    Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so.
    Joss Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by iGhost View Post

What would you call a "spiritual idea"?

I find the term "spiritual" to be pretty damn vague:
    http://normdoering.blogspot.com/2008...-lies-and.html

I would echo PZ Myer's question about Charles Taylor's writing:

" ... [Taylor] blathers on and on about "spiritual thinking" and a "spiritual domain" without ever telling us what the heck it is, although it does seem to be all tied up in believing in a religion, any religion. So, someone tell me, how am I supposed to hear this "spiritual dimension"? What is it supposed to mean?"

The word "Spiritual" seems like a "glittering generality" and a way for religious people to put themselves above others of differing beliefs (without ever stating their beliefs) because of their "connection" to "something greater." An unquestionable and unknowable connection. If you don't understand it then, hey, that's your loss, you're spiritually blind, we'll look down on you.

As for "pseudo-quantum weirdness in man's relationship to space/time" all that takes in relationship to BSG is a rethinking of what time is and how visionary dreams might glimpse something real about the future.
    My blog:
    http://normdoering.blogspot.com/

"Those who fight monsters should take care that they never become one. For when you stand and look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."
    -- Frederich Nietsche

The Phaeton, Corridor 6-1, in the Western Spiral Arm, orbiting a blue-green planet called Erf.

Quote Originally Posted by missmuffet View Post
    I think that Baltar is the only person on the series that actually makes perfect sense as the final cylon. Which is probably why he isn't.
    Isn't that strange how that works? I think that too, but dismiss the idea because they've been flaunting that idea since the beginning... I guess that's why Lee's my favorite, but Baltar's still my number 2... If Baltar turns out to be the FC, it will be an excellent bit of psychology on RDM's part, making us dismiss the obvious choice 'cause it's too obvious.

What would you call a "spiritual idea"?

I find the term "spiritual" to be pretty damn vague:
    http://normdoering.blogspot.com/2008...-lies-and.html

I would echo PZ Myer's question about Charles Taylor's writing:

" ... [Taylor] blathers on and on about "spiritual thinking" and a "spiritual domain" without ever telling us what the heck it is, although it does seem to be all tied up in believing in a religion, any religion. So, someone tell me, how am I supposed to hear this "spiritual dimension"? What is it supposed to mean?"

The word "Spiritual" seems like a "glittering generality" and a way for religious people to put themselves above others of differing beliefs (without ever stating their beliefs) because of their "connection" to "something greater." An unquestionable and unknowable connection. If you don't understand it then, hey, that's your loss, you're spiritually blind, we'll look down on you.
    Well to me "spiritual" would be something having to do with the "spirit" or you could call it the "soul" as well I suppose. I realize some people dont believe in that sort of thing and so they dont accept anything that cannot be seen. I dont necessarily think that the exsistence of the spirit equates to religion, as I think religion is just the human politics concerning the spiritual. I personally cant see how someone could expect to measure the supernatural with natural instruments, and the inability to do so doesnt void the exsistence of such things.

As for "pseudo-quantum weirdness in man's relationship to space/time" all that takes in relationship to BSG is a rethinking of what time is and how visionary dreams might glimpse something real about the future.
    So by "visionary dreams" are we talking about time travel basically or what? Time is basically a name given to the idea that events take place and compound in sequential order within space. Spacial stretching can account for time unfolding at different rates at different points in space but I dont think it accounts for the ability to see events take place outside of space/time.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast